GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,153
2 members and 1,151 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 05-26-2004, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Good news: #`1 in grades; Bad news: you're suspended

Highest GPA award to suspended fraternity

Phi Delt (U. Central FL) may close due to lack of money if suspension continues
By Heidi A. De Vries
Published: Wednesday, May 26, 2004
Phi Delta Theta - voted by Future editors last spring as "most likely to prove group stupidity" after a member was found tied to a tree - was recognized by Greek Affairs for having the highest GPA among UCF fraternities.

The occasion makes the second consecutive time Phi Delta Theta has earned the award and the first time in the history of UCF that a suspended fraternity has won.
PDT's consistently high grades, its No. 1 standing for points in intramural sports and its being named a Chapter of Excellence by Greek Affairs may be key to having the organization reinstated for the fall semester.

"If we don't get off suspension, it's pretty much going to be the end of the fraternity," member David Rosenthal said. Rosenthal, the executive vice president of PDT, said he hopes these awards and the fraternity members' willingness to complete the prescribed disciplinary sanctions early will be considered by the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities during a formal review in August.

The only official blemish on PDT's record occurred when Sean Pierce, a two-year member of the fraternity, decided to give his sorority girlfriend a charm with his Greek letter on it - a gesture known as "lavaliering."

In his official statement concerning the incident, Pierce said that to complete his sign of devotion he volunteered to submit to an embarrassing act involving plastic wrap and shaving cream. The stunt was intended to show that he was willing to go to great lengths for his girlfriend.

Pierce - without the permission or official acknowledgment from PDT, according to officers of the fraternity - invited close friends to attend the event. The group included nine PDT members, several suspended fraternity members, some sorority members and several people who don't attend UCF.

"Their presence at the event shows this wasn't a ritual we perform," said Sean Lavin, the vice president of external relations for PDT. "If it were, people not in the fraternity wouldn't be allowed."

Pierce's twin brother, who attends Rollins College, wrapped him to a tree using plastic wrap and decorated him with marshmallows, chocolate syrup and vegetable oil. "None of our brothers had a part in tying him up or applying anything," Lavin said. "No pledges were in attendance."

The UCF Police Department caught most of the escapades on camera and reported the fraternity to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. The entire fraternity was subsequently suspended for hazing. The incident received national attention, being aired on FOX News Network and making its way to the Drudge Report, an online news page. "It shouldn't have happened because it gave the university a black eye," Lavin said. "We're disappointed any members were involved in it, because that's not what Phi Delta Theta is about. We're building men and leaders for the future."

Rosenthal said being left suspended through the fall semester would be devastating for the fraternity. "It would be like starting all over," he said. "It would not help UCF's name. We haven't been in trouble once for the close to 23 years we've been at UCF and they're going to try and kill us for it," he added.

Lavin explained that continued suspension could bankrupt the fraternity by preventing needed income regularly gained during fall rush and with the acceptance of new members. During suspension, an organization can't participate in any university-related or fraternity-related activities, including socials, intramural sports, recruitment and homecoming.
"As of now, we're going to be extinct," Lavin said. "[But] we don't think the university is going to destroy something that's going so well."

In addition to not being able to formally participate in most university activities, the fraternity was sanctioned to complete an educational presentation on the dangers of hazing and have any members present during the incident write a reflective essay.
All nine of the PDT members that were present turned in their essays within two weeks of getting the sanctions - about three months before they were due. ""We're hoping to show how seriously we're taking this," Lavin said.

The fraternity is also taking its presentation very seriously. "We could do something as simple as a PowerPoint presentation, but we want to actually make something that could make a difference," Lavin said.

The group is planning a documentary-style interview video with Rita Saucier, the mother of a man who was killed during a hazing incident at Auburn University in 1993. _

Saucier is the founder of CHAD - Cease Hazing Activities and Death - based in Mobile, Ala. She has already agreed to be part of the video production, which Lavin hopes to show "not just in university Greek life, but other university organizations that could be subject to hazing activities," such as bands and ROTC. "Hopefully this will be sent to other schools as a resource. We expect this to have a positive impact on UCF," he said.
Rosenthal agreed, saying that the video would "shed a light on what some people go through for recruitment."

Lavin said members of the fraternity have used the incident as a group enhancer. "This really was the ultimate team-building activity," he said. "We all learned what the fraternity means to us and what we mean to each other ... we want to come out of this a more effective chapter."

Alpha Delta Pi, the sorority with the highest GPA, joins Phi Delta Theta. The two had a UCF average of 2.864 and 3.225, respectively for the spring semester. The averages are higher than the average UCF GPA, which was a 2.817 for the spring semester.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Hazing is dumb. You get caught, you pay the price. Lesson? Don't haze.

If they have to shut down, so be it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-27-2004, 10:41 AM

It wasn't hazing. He is a brother who willingly participated in the event. Maybe the definition of hazing says that what happened was hazing but in my opinion, hazing involves a pledge and a brother.
Like adpiucf and I said in the previous thread on this event, every fraternity at UCF does something of the sort after a member lavaliers their girlfriend with the only difference being Phi Delt got caught. I will say that it wasn't exactly wise of them to do this on campus...
They're a great group of guys and have been a real asset to the campus. It would be a shame if they were to be suspended for something like this.

ETA:
UCF already has another fraternity on campus suspended for hazing and they are also petitioning to get their active status back in the Fall.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 05-27-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
It wasn't hazing. He is a brother who willingly participated in the event. Like adpiucf and I said in the previous thread on this event, every fraternity at UCF does something of the sort after a member lavaliers their girlfriend with the only difference being Phi Delt got caught. I will say that it wasn't exactly wise of them to do this on campus...
They're a great group of guys and have been a real asset to the campus. It would be a shame if they were to be suspended for something like this.
Most NIC groups have a commonly accepted definition for hazing. This violates in several ways. Most obviously, it is a public stunt of buffoonery. You might even be able to argue that his dress (plastic wrap) would not be in normally good taste

In NIC groups, you don't have to be a pledge to be hazed, full members are just as capable of being hazed.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

In NIC groups, you don't have to be a pledge to be hazed, full members are just as capable of being hazed.
This doesn't pass the common sense test.

I wonder what UCF would do it some dorm resident had his twin brother from another campus wrap him in plastic wrap to impress a girl?

I see pictures all the time on Campus Humor and similar sites of dorm guys taping rooms shut, filling rooms with popcorn, etc. Are these guys punished?

I wonder if the Phi Delts had a lawyer?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
This doesn't pass the common sense test.

I wonder what UCF would do it some dorm resident had his twin brother from another campus wrap him in plastic wrap to impress a girl?
UCF administration would laugh it off as a harmless dorm prank. When letters are attached to something, it's a different story.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
UCF administration would laugh it off as a harmless dorm prank. When letters are attached to something, it's a different story.
True.

And our organizations have their own rules and definitions (not necessarily the same definitions that most people would think of) as to what constitutes hazing.

Since we're all members of these organizations and most of us have to sit through a risk reduction seminar of some sort every single semester, there's really not much excuse to not know what is and isn't allowed.

Just because it's harmless and fun doesn't mean it's not against the rules.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Its also because Greeks generally bend over and take it. They don't get lawyers, Nationals' don't do everything in their power to defend the chapter.

Ktsnake et al. Don't forget that some of the rules that violate common sense are accepted because of that appeasement attitude.

When will Greek organization take to heart the lesson of Chamberlain? Appeasement doesn't work.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This was not hazing.

First of all he volunteered, he was not forced.

And it was his brother, who did not even attend that school, who did this to him.

If this was not a fraternity, you would have never heard about it.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

This is so stupid. They took all the fun out of the tradition of lavaliering.

Lord knows what certain schools would do if they seen what happens here. Heh..my boyfriend got thrown in the reservoir.

PS: Ditto gphib_95
Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

OKAY, just what the hell difference does it make?

It was so adjudged as hazing. Does it make any difference what we think when they are no longer on campus!

Dont some of the people realize this point of fact?

THEY ARE GONE!

Now, just who have they helped?

Agreed, I am sure we all do not think this is hazing, but when Greek letters are attached then it seems that everything is hazing.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 05-29-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I gotta disagree has the world gone nuts, no booze is involved and no pain is involved and the individual consents. This isn't hazing! I think anti-greek pc attitudes are out of control, zero tolerance always=stupidity.
I helped get rid of real hazing in my chapter IE Hell week, line ups, rallies, etc. and I'm proud of ending hazing in my chapter.
This is different ,but I guess any any goofy fun is fair game now for the bluenoses.