GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,339
1 members and 1,338 guests
acg233

Old 09-23-2014, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Before I share my ending I just wanted to shed some wisdom or advice for anyone who might come across my thread when trying to find out about recruitment at ole miss or any competitive school.

I'm sure this has been said before but I feel like I can't go without saying this,

Don't lose yourself in the process. I know this has probably been said countless times but I can't reiterate enough how important this is. Cuts hurt, bad. Its rejection in its purest form and it stings no matter what. I always saw myself as someone who people loved to be around and I was extremely well liked in high school. When I looked at my invitation card the first day I felt like I wasn't that girl anymore. And after getting another cut I felt like I didn't know myself as well as I thought I had. But please just remember these cuts are not a reflection of who you are. No matter how many houses you get back on your list you are still the same person you where before you started recruitment. My self confidence took a major hit that honestly, I am still recovering from. These cuts can be extremely arbitrary and awfully political and if you're someone like me, recruitment is a numbers game that 9 times out of 10, you will come up short on. Just don't let this process get you down and change who you think you are.

I will step off my soap box now
Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you stuck it through, even with the harsh cuts. And I think your words of wisdom are very wise indeed.

Can't wait to hear the rest of your story!
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonreb View Post
Before I share my ending I just wanted to shed some wisdom or advice for anyone who might come across my thread when trying to find out about recruitment at ole miss or any competitive school.

I'm sure this has been said before but I feel like I can't go without saying this,

Don't lose yourself in the process. I know this has probably been said countless times but I can't reiterate enough how important this is. Cuts hurt, bad. Its rejection in its purest form and it stings no matter what. I always saw myself as someone who people loved to be around and I was extremely well liked in high school. When I looked at my invitation card the first day I felt like I wasn't that girl anymore. And after getting another cut I felt like I didn't know myself as well as I thought I had. But please just remember these cuts are not a reflection of who you are. No matter how many houses you get back on your list you are still the same person you where before you started recruitment. My self confidence took a major hit that honestly, I am still recovering from. These cuts can be extremely arbitrary and awfully political and if you're someone like me, recruitment is a numbers game that 9 times out of 10, you will come up short on. Just don't let this process get you down and change who you think you are.

{{ Big hug }} for you! You have learned some valuable, if painful, lessons. Please also remember that the chapters that cut you were NOT saying that they didn't like you or that you were not "good enough." I promise, that is not what they thought. They simply could not invite EVERY PNM back and had to make some very hard choices. Rush can get you down. Please get back up and shrug it off!

Can't wait to hear about Pref...... now, please
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

What great advice! Love the recap! Can't wait to see the end!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

So Bid Day rolls around and I'm still a little down about Laser Lemon, the cut CUT deep! I made my way over to the grove to receive my bid. After the gamma chi reveal I was handed my bid to.....

JAZZBERRY JAM (will keep actual name private for anonmity)

At that moment it hit me, no I wasn't running home to laser lemon, a group full of girls who were like me but instead I was going somewhere where I was accepted. Jazzberry Jam wanted ME, I was running home to a group who wanted ME in their sisterhood and I couldn't be more excited. I realized I don't need to be surrounded by people similar to me to make good friendships but instead I just needed to be around people who accepted me and wanted to get to know me.

So here's to the most stressful week of my life. Can we start handing out "I Survived Ole Miss Rush" shirts at Bid Day? I think this week warrants one.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

All of this can never be said enough.

I know that this was hard (as it is for many girls), but I can promise you this: recruitment is not the last time in your life that you'll feel the pain of rejection. Fortunately for you, you'll be better prepared for it the next time around. You'll be turned down by jobs, you'll be turned down by people you're attracted to, you might even find as time goes on that you're "turned down" by friends that you've known for years. It happens. But there are also so many amazingly great things that happen in between that make up for all the other crap.

I know that the process isn't always an easy one, but I'm sure in 5 years you'll look back on this and actually appreciate the experience. Your "failures" and disappointments will teach you a lot about life and about yourself.

I hope that you found your sorority home!

ETA:

Quote:

At that moment it hit me, no I wasn't running home to laser lemon, a group full of girls who were like me but instead I was going somewhere where I was accepted. Jazzberry Jam wanted ME, I was running home to a group who wanted ME in their sisterhood and I couldn't be more excited. I realized I don't need to be surrounded by people similar to me to make good friendships but instead I just needed to be around people who accepted me and wanted to get to know me.

So here's to the most stressful week of my life. Can we start handing out "I Survived Ole Miss Rush" shirts at Bid Day? I think this week warrants one.
Congrats! You truly have a great attitude. I hope that Jazzberry Jam is (perhaps unexpectedly) everything you've ever wanted in a sorority experience! I hear those Ole Miss chapters are pretty awesome

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-24-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 AM

You have an AMAZING attitude. Tell your parents they did a great job raising an empathetic, self-confident young woman.

A couple years from now, it may become apparent that you made far more of a mark in JJ than you could have ever made in LL.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on finding your home!!! I hope you'll stick around on GreekChat -- I think you will find many kindred spirits here.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

What an amazing story; and your insight is remarkable. I wish you many years of happiness in your new home. Please stay with us and share when you can!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

LOL, only if you hand them out to all the mothers, too.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So Bid Day rolls around and I'm still a little down about Laser Lemon, the cut CUT deep! I made my way over to the grove to receive my bid. After the gamma chi reveal I was handed my bid to.....

My sister and her friends had shirts made when they went through rush in 2000 at Ole Miss that said that! They put all of their favorite sayings from rush week on the shirt. They were really cute.

I'm glad it all worked out for you! I hope you enjoy your new sisterhood and be sure to have lots of fun! Hotty Toddy!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I echo what everyone else has said about your attitude and all the benefits it's going to bring you. You've already done a big part of the growing up that you go to college to achieve. Bravo.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations-you DID survive! I hope that as the weeks go on, you fall in love with your sorority. Please come back and let us know how things are going.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations,anonreb, on surviving Ole Miss recruitment and congratulations to Jazzberry Jam who now has an amazingly insightful new sister!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and Jazzberry Jam!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!