GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,534
0 members and 2,534 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, tonight will be difficult for some of them. The recruitment counselors have their work cut out for them.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. That is an extremely low quota for UT. This is a very small freshman class, and when you couple that with the economic situation, I guess a low quota is the result. It's been a quiet week, too. There are usually all kinds of stories of girls dropping out or being dropped by lots of groups, but there hasn't been much of that. The one thing I have heard is that flu- including H1N1- is all over the campus, including Laurel Hall, the sorority apartment building.
They are at preference right now and I know some nervous moms waiting by the phone- because of the new system they are using where they give the girls a party schedule right before they go in, no one seems to know where their daughters are preffing. It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out on the Hill.

Last edited by formerlurker; 08-22-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: bad sentence!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

That's interesting about the new system. We always picked up our invitations early in the day, so we knew where we were going. Maybe UT should hand out Valium to the recruitment counselors at the end of the evening.

I work at the local paper, and I can tell you that 10 students have been diagnosed with flu-like illnesses, and the H1N1 virus is a possibility. Officials are assuming that's what it is.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Flu is sweeping thru Panhellenic. The clinic even called the Panhell office to tell them they did not have time to write excuses for all these people, they needed to treat them and keep the line moving.

The theory behind not giving them their party list until they get there is that once they are there, they hopefully won't leave. Lots of girls were not showing up to things they didn't want to go to when they knew in advance.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh. Then it's only a matter of time until flu is sweeping through my workplace.

I think the way they're handling the pref invitations this year is a good idea. I hope it works the way they want. It's certainly worth trying.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Goodness I know there are some nervous moms; not even knowing which pref their daughter is going to! Also as far as legacies getting an automatic bid if they are invited to pref- that rule doesnt apply at every house. I know at some houses there are no automatic bids, and legacy girls can be cut after pref- sad, but there are just too many legacy's.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

That's why I like how we do it. If a legacy knows she's been cut before preference, she hopefully can look at her other options with fresh eyes. It's rough on a legacy to be cut, but I think it's even harder for the mothers!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

At Tennessee, if you are invited to pref, you are on the bid list SOMEWHERE so you do have a chance at getting a bid from the chapters you go to that night.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I had heard that several girls had to drop out of rush due to the flu. My daughter said that it has also hit Laurel, the sorority dorm very hard. Several girls from all sororities are very sick. Between the numbers already being down and now this, quota will be interesting!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey all, from the rushee side the parties today looked very small! This week has been surprising, to say the least--definitely full of emotion and frustrated girls. And the GX's were adamant about not spreading H1N1--we hand sanitized before and after every party, and then some!

Bid day is tomorrow!!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
It's Bid Day time in Tennessee!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Woo Hoo! we want some bid day stories and pictures!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My best friend just called, she got a bid from Kappa Delta. She's ecstatic
Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

With quota so small, I bet it got heated and emotional when the actives had to decide who to give bids to. Especially when they had to choose between legacies.

Has anyone heard what quota was?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay.. the results are in. The only sorority out of 13 to cut my daughter during rush was Chi Omega (of course:-). She ended up really liking ADpi, AOpi, KD, and Phi Mu. She chose to pref AOpi, KD, and Phi Mu. She stared at her bid card for 45 minutes struggling with her decision. She really liked them all. She finally opted to put Phi Mu first, KD second, and AOpi third. She got her bid to Phi Mu this afternoon.

From the text messages I have received. She is thrilled. Her roommate went KD, and her suite mate went Phi Mu also. Her other suitemate dropped out (she's been sick all week).

We were both dissapointed that she did not get a chance to preference Chi O, but all has worked out in the end. She met some wonderful people in all the sororities. It speaks a lot to UT sororities when she was so torn between all three of her preference picks.

Guess I better get to the mall and start buying some pink!

Best!