GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,265
0 members and 1,265 guests
No Members online

Old 02-20-2003, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Kappa Sigma badge?

So the boyfriend *just* mentioned he'd like a Kappa Sigma badge for his birthday (March 20.) His chapter here doesn't wear the badge -- not a member has one, he says -- and every time it's come up before, he's said he's not interested.

Ooookay. Is there any way to get my hands on one before the March 20 deadline? I know Phi Mu could never get me a badge from nationals that quickly........... however, I also know that some chapters keep extra badges on hand.

Anyone? I'd love any help.........
Old 02-20-2003, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Call their national or bid on ebay, couldn't really think of any other way....
Old 02-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Go here, they sell some NICE badges.

Masters of Design
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me, or does it seem really strange that not even one member the chapter has a badge? I have a really hard time with the idea that any member would not have a badge -- with us, a basic badge is part of the initiation fee.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
Is it just me, or does it seem really strange that not even one member the chapter has a badge? I have a really hard time with the idea that any member would not have a badge -- with us, a basic badge is part of the initiation fee.
That is really strange actually. I am not aware of any group that doesn't include a badge with initiation fees.

I'm assuming the chapter's been around for awhile. It's pretty tough to believe that they wouldn't know where to go to buy badges... Why would not one member want one (with the exception of HotDamn's boyfriend)?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-20-2003, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Its a very non-greek campus, so um....I don't know.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Masters of Design is the best place, maybe the only place to get one.

Our International body does not provide them, and will refer you to Masters of Design, as they are the official jewler (sp?) of Kappa Sig.

There are some really nice badges there.

Collin
Old 02-20-2003, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Its more common that you think...

Many of my Brothers didn't have badges until we started having the bigs buy them for their littles' initiation. Its not that the guys don't care, its just a matter of knowing where to find it.

Kappa Sigma has a contract with Masters of Design (www.mastersofdesign.com). 90% of the badges on the site are in inventory so you can call and order and get it before March 20 (unless its special order). You could also opt for rush delivery, or overnight.

The best thing about Masters of Design is their lifetime warranty that comes with each badge. It many cases they will repair it for free.

Good Luck, and Congrats to your boyfriend
Old 02-20-2003, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
That is really strange actually. I am not aware of any group that doesn't include a badge with initiation fees.

I'm assuming the chapter's been around for awhile. It's pretty tough to believe that they wouldn't know where to go to buy badges... Why would not one member want one (with the exception of HotDamn's boyfriend)?
Actually, my chapter doesn't provide badges either, and there are a bunch of Kappa Sig chapters that are like that - it's not included with the initiation fees. There's a movement now to up the initiation fees slightly so that badges could be included, so hopefully that will happen in the near future.

If you look at the composites for my chapter, there are only a few guys, in all of the 15 years, who are shown wearing badges.

Collin
Old 02-20-2003, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This is sorta off topic but...

I just went to the Masters of Design link and was checking out the different types of badges. I am SO glad Chi Omega has a set badge! All of them have 14 pearls. You can upgrade to 14 diamonds, but that's it. And the diamond one is pretty much out of everyone's price range, so we get our pearl badge and are done. I can't imagine having to choose bewteen white gold/yellow gold, or rubies, or pearls, or sapphires etc., etc., etc.! I'd have spent 3 years picking out which one I wanted and never even have worn it in college!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:43 PM

Hmm... it seems a bit odd to me too, that no one would have a badge. AEPhi actually requires all sisters to own a badge throughout their college years; afterwards, you can give it to your sister, daughter, or granddaughter if she joins AEPhi. Oh well, guess every GLO has its own policy.

Quote:
Originally posted by xo_kathy
This is sorta off topic but...

I just went to the Masters of Design link and was checking out the different types of badges. I am SO glad Chi Omega has a set badge! All of them have 14 pearls. You can upgrade to 14 diamonds, but that's it. And the diamond one is pretty much out of everyone's price range, so we get our pearl badge and are done. I can't imagine having to choose bewteen white gold/yellow gold, or rubies, or pearls, or sapphires etc., etc., etc.! I'd have spent 3 years picking out which one I wanted and never even have worn it in college!!!
I'm just the opposite - I kind of wish AEPhi's badge allowed for some variation. But no... letters in order on a gold bar, yellow gold, 27 pearls, period. The only customization is your initials on the back and the option of buying a guard.

On the one hand, it's nice to know that my badge is just the same as every other AEPhi's... but on the other hand, I would have liked white gold
Old 02-20-2003, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Sorry, but just not everyone can buy a Badge from the Manufactuer. They normally need proof that you are a member.

Ebay is the main place and there are usually several KS Badges there. Unless they are unique, they are reasonably priced.

If you win the Badge, it is sent to you and received in 2 weeks well that is if you send the $$$$$$$!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-20-2003, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband is a LXA alum from Va Tech. He never bought a badge. He has his grandfathers jeweled badge. He told me it was not required to buy a badge at all. He happened to have his family's badge, so that is what he used.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Sorry, but just not everyone can buy a Badge from the Manufactuer. They normally need proof that you are a member.

Ebay is the main place and there are usually several KS Badges there. Unless they are unique, they are reasonably priced.

If you win the Badge, it is sent to you and received in 2 weeks well that is if you send the $$$$$$$!!!!!!!
Tom, check your PMs.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

I'm just the opposite - I kind of wish AEPhi's badge allowed for some variation. But no... letters in order on a gold bar, yellow gold, 27 pearls, period. The only customization is your initials on the back and the option of buying a guard.

I kinda like the variation - it gives everyone the opportunity to get a badge, because not everyone can afford the better badges - I know I couldn't afford the better Kappa Sig badges, so being able to get the less-expensive ones was good. Some have rubies, sapphires, pearls, and other stones, and some are just plain.

I always thought it was kinda weird that everyone didn't get a badge at initiation..but to each their own.

Collin