GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,232
1 members and 2,231 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Walking Out - Recruitment Advice needed!

I am an alumna for a sorority chapter at Kansas State, and am helping give advice to the girls in the sorority on their recruitment this year. In the past years, when the PNMs would arrive at the house, the actives would do "walk outs", where they would walk outside in a straight line, standing in "Delta and T" formation--with their hands behind their backs arranged in a delta, and their feet in a T, with of course a huge smile on their face. Last year was the first year that "walk outs" were not utilized--as our Panhellenic council thought the walk outs were intimidating the potential new members. This year K-State is reinstating the use of walk outs, but our chapter cannot decide if we should stick with the walking out in a straight line together, standing one behind the other with hands in a delta and feet forming a T.

What do your chapters do during recruitment to greet the PNMs? Do you walk and stand outside? How do you stand? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I the only one who is hung up on and confused as to what exactly feet in a "T" and hands in a "Delta" means???

(sorry Shamrock, just never heard of this).
Old 07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

i am also confused. are you using the terms to cloak which chapter you are actually speaking about?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm picturing someone standing in what would be considered a ballet first position, hands behind back and fingers arranged in a triangle... and that's just silly! lol
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been spending too much time on the T&Tiaras thread. But like this, with the hands behind the back I think.

That would be ballet third position btw
Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
^^^ thank you .. I was trying all kinds of positions with my hands trying to make a delta :-)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, I'm not quite getting a clear picture of this either. I kind of thought she was saying that they walk out and then arrange themselves into a big delta formation with their hands behind their backs. I have no idea what the feet in a T could be.

At any rate, we used to come outside the house and line up to do our clapping and chants. I don't think it intimidated anyone. My campus now has deferred so they don't come out anymore (dead of winter). Which is kind of sad. I thought it was a nice tradition.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

the only thing i could imagine is the way beauty pageant contestants pose, with one foot sort of point straight forward and the other foot at a 90 degree angle to that?

back in the day, we exited the house thru the french doors at either side of front of the house as well as out the double front doors singing and swaying until we reached our spot of the lawn, at which time we would do our little dance-if you are thinking busby berkley production you are not far off the mark-minus the fancy headdresses, of course. that stopped at florida state quite a while ago and now they all do the door stack.

hope the op comes back to clarify.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm picturing a Chorus Line.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Hah, we just start singing/cheering and open the door about 30 seconds later and start leading the PNMs in while we line the halls to the common room where each round begins.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock14 View Post
I am an alumna for a sorority chapter at Kansas State, and am helping give advice to the girls in the sorority on their recruitment this year. In the past years, when the PNMs would arrive at the house, the actives would do "walk outs", where they would walk outside in a straight line, standing in "Delta and T" formation--with their hands behind their backs arranged in a delta, and their feet in a T, with of course a huge smile on their face. Last year was the first year that "walk outs" were not utilized--as our Panhellenic council thought the walk outs were intimidating the potential new members. This year K-State is reinstating the use of walk outs, but our chapter cannot decide if we should stick with the walking out in a straight line together, standing one behind the other with hands in a delta and feet forming a T.

What do your chapters do during recruitment to greet the PNMs? Do you walk and stand outside? How do you stand? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
What I think she means is that each girl makes a delta with her arms. To do this you hold your hands behind your back with your elbows bent and sticking out at your sides. This sorta looks like a "delta" from the front. The T formation would be third position in dance, I'm guessing with your right foot in front of your left at a right angle.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
What I think she means is that each girl makes a delta with her arms. To do this you hold your hands behind your back with your elbows bent and sticking out at your sides. This sorta looks like a "delta" from the front. The T formation would be third position in dance, I'm guessing with your right foot in front of your left at a right angle.
lmao.... I'm picturing girls standing there with their feet in 3rd position, but with their arms angled back like when doing a chicken impression....
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
lmao.... I'm picturing girls standing there with their feet in 3rd position, but with their arms angled back like when doing a chicken impression....
LOL. That would be funny. I think that would be called Chicken and T!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't help but take it to Men on Film

Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought most places doing no frills consider this as "frills."