GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,420
3 members and 1,417 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, we are secret with out letter's meaning. But as for others, I know of two in the NIC that are open (there are so many NIC I am sure there are more)

NOTE: I'm getting these from the wikipedia page. I'm not divulging anyone's secrets.

Z.B.T. referred to the first letters in the Hebrew phrase "Zion Bemishpat Tipadeh", which translated means "Zion shall be redeemed with justice"
Theta Chi: Θηρόποσα Χείρ or An Assisting Hand
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Alpha Sigma Alpha's open motto is Aspire, Seek, Attain. (It's right on our crest.)

That may or may not be our only motto.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

The meaning of the Greek words for which Delta Gamma stands are different and are secret.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Well, we are secret with out letter's meaning. But as for others, I know of two in the NIC that are open (there are so many NIC I am sure there are more)

NOTE: I'm getting these from the wikipedia page. I'm not divulging anyone's secrets.

Z.B.T. referred to the first letters in the Hebrew phrase "Zion Bemishpat Tipadeh", which translated means "Zion shall be redeemed with justice"
Theta Chi: Θηρόποσα Χείρ or An Assisting Hand
But one should never assume that these are the only meanings of the letters. They may be or they may not be.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 PM

From the AEPhi web site:

"Α, Ε & Φ stand for faculty approval, student esteem and sorority fidelity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But one should never assume that these are the only meanings of the letters. They may be or they may not be.
Indeed...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
From the AEPhi web site:

"Α, Ε & Φ stand for faculty approval, student esteem and sorority fidelity."
Huh. An AEPhi friend told me their motto years ago, and it was...not that. Now I'm wondering if she told me your secret motto, or if what she told me was a local thing.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

MysticCat; But one should never assume that these are the only meanings of the letters. They may be or they may not be.

MysticCat you are correct. While the Z.B.T society meaning of the letters were not a secret to the outside world, when it was changed to a Greek-Letter Fraternity the Founders of 1898 Columbia and the Founders of 1903 CCNY establish another meaning behind the letters which was added to the oath of brotherhood that all brothers take during the initiation process. That remains a secret.

ZBT:"Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post

MysticCat; But one should never assume that these are the only meanings of the letters. They may be or they may not be.

MysticCat you are correct. While the Z.B.T society meaning of the letters were not a secret to the outside world, when it was changed to a Greek-Letter Fraternity the Founders of 1898 Columbia and the Founders of 1903 CCNY establish another meaning behind the letters which was added to the oath of brotherhood that all brothers take during the initiation process. That remains a secret.

ZBT:"Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Devodude, Could you take a look at the ZBT wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Beta_Tau) and perhaps add some of the last half of the paragraph?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

I think ours is fairly obvious - Adelphean Society to Alpha Delta Phi to Alpha Delta Pi. But the meaning behind Adelphean will stay within our sisterhood!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Huh. An AEPhi friend told me their motto years ago, and it was...not that. Now I'm wondering if she told me your secret motto, or if what she told me was a local thing.
There are other meanings to the letters. One of them is secret and revealed only at initiation. Another is stated in the pledge manual and is something I probably could share ... I won't, because I'm not 100% sure if it's ok, but some masterful google fu could probably turn it up.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
There are other meanings to the letters. One of them is secret and revealed only at initiation. Another is stated in the pledge manual and is something I probably could share ... I won't, because I'm not 100% sure if it's ok, but some masterful google fu could probably turn it up.
Well, it's no secret on these boards that I'm a real cynic on ritual, but it's not something I've ever repeated anyway. I do, however, think it is kinda cool to compare/contrast the secrets of the different groups, as the ones I've known are all more alike than different.