GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,368
2 members and 2,366 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
Idiots...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=006

Just wondering what you all think about this. Don't worry about any non-greek seeing this and trying to bid because:

1. I'm pretty much sure that there is nothing in it.
2. I have a friend who set up a ebay account and bid 900 for it.

Just wondering your thoughts. I personally think it's funny that he says TKE members only should bid on it...like the idiot is actually a member...it makes me laugh.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

If it was an actual ritual book (though reading the discription it doesn't really sound like it would be? but I'm not a TKE, so I wouldn't really know) I'd say generally most Greeks are against those sort of things being bought and sold on ebay... except for the Greeks that feel the need to collect other org's ritual info... 'cause they are out there
Old 12-16-2007, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm. The seller clearly identified the book as the ritual, but it doesn't appear that the ritual is actually included. (But like t*p said, I'm not a TKE so I don't know.) I bet this isn't the ritual, and if it is, I think TKE's HQ would be able to stop the auction. (I *think* I remember another org stopping an auction under similar circumstances.)
Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Hmmm. The seller clearly identified the book as the ritual, but it doesn't appear that the ritual is actually included. (But like t*p said, I'm not a TKE so I don't know.) I bet this isn't the ritual, and if it is, I think TKE's HQ would be able to stop the auction. (I *think* I remember another org stopping an auction under similar circumstances.)
It's possible that the book isn't ritual, but the seller identified it as such because:

a) He really didn't know

or

b) He does know, but is saying it's ritual in a sad attempt to get higher bids
Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This sounds like something that can now be obtained on some GLO's websites. I doubt it will actually contain the sacred rituals.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
Sorry guys(and gals), looks like I need to clarify. I am a member of TKE. It is definitely NOT a ritual book. All it is, is the "pledgemaster's guide", available for free download on the HQ site. My friend set up a fake ebay account and bit 900 on it in hopes that others would raise the bid quite high, and the seller would be out of the cash. Kinda like scamming the scammer if you know what I mean...
Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

*Looks like I posted while jmagnus was posting.

I agree that it doesn't sound like it contains the initiation ritual. However, rituals do show up on ebay fairly often. The last two that I know of went to members of those groups.

I also doubt that the seller is a TKE. Why would you sell your own ritual unless you didn't care about your organization anymore?

I have to add that while it's interesting, I think posting here about a ritual on ebay only alerts the collectors. Who do you think buys them?

ETA: I don't think the scam will work as planned. It will just go to the next highest bidder on a 2nd Chance, the seller will still make money, and some idiot will have TKE's pledgemaster's guide.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 12-16-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Does your friend understand that he could end up having to pay $900 for this??
Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It has to be a TKE ritual, it's only going for $20. Rituals are easy, EASY to get. eBay is one way to get them, but paying for them is pretty ridiculous. That's so, how does one say, '5 years ago'?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about other orgs, but DZ rituals belong to DZ, not the individual. Soooo...anyone who tried to sell one of our rituals would actually be selling something that does not belong to them.

Of course, this is also true for badges and people sell those all the time.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagnus View Post
Sorry guys(and gals), looks like I need to clarify. I am a member of TKE. It is definitely NOT a ritual book. All it is, is the "pledgemaster's guide", available for free download on the HQ site. My friend set up a fake ebay account and bit 900 on it in hopes that others would raise the bid quite high, and the seller would be out of the cash. Kinda like scamming the scammer if you know what I mean...
The seller posted a listing that may or may not be intentionally misleading.

Your "friend" knows the book is not real and yet, according to you, set up a "fake" eBay account and placed a $900 bid he has no intention of honoring.

As of a couple of years ago, you cannot set up a new eBay account without providing a credit card or other banking information. So either your "friend" has stolen someone's banking info, or that person- being the genius he is- has set up an account that can be traced right back to him.

The seller, at the worst, has created an inaccurate listing that will force him to refund the buyer's money when the item is not as advertised.

Your "friend" is committing a felony if he fails to pay for the item with a winning bid. If the bidding gets up into the 100s, you are looking at serious trouble. EBay can and does take action on non-paying bidders. The higher the dollar amount, the more severe. And right here in a public internet forum your "friend" has announced the crime. I am not saying your "friend" is headed to jail- that is most unlikely- but there are lots of lesser unnecessary turns it could take, like being banned from eBay or having something hit your credit report.

Or better still, suppose a fellow TKE bids over $900 for that book mistakenly thinking it is a ritual book and that he is doing a good deed? Maybe not everyone remembers the details like you and knows for sure that is not a ritual book.

Sorry, but this is almost funny (no, actually- it is very funny )

Last edited by EE-BO; 12-16-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Does your friend understand that he could end up having to pay $900 for this??
Trusting in the wonderfully wicked ways of Greek Chat, I expect there is someone out there who read this and plans to bid $899.99 right before the auction closes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

A "friend" of mine just sent the seller a question. I'll let you know if "she" hears back from him and what he says.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
Trusting in the wonderfully wicked ways of Greek Chat, I expect there is someone out there who read this and plans to bid $899.99 right before the auction closes
ooooh! That would be wonderfully wicked!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM

TKE HQ should be notified so they can take proper action.