GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 795
1 members and 794 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-22-2002, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
the wallpaper looked like it was going to eat her(they're FLOWERS)
Okay, I'm sorry but this is TOO FUNNY. The part about her jumping out the window and running away had me ROLLING with tears in my eyes, but this is just TOO FUNNY FOR WORDS. Hahahaha!!! I seriously think this is one of the funniest things I have EVER heard.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-2002, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Weird things always seem to happen at recruitment parties. I have been working with the recruitment team through various roles at my campus and it never seems to surprise me what some women do during recruitment. Some women get so freaked out by the rules that they tend to focus so hard on the wrong things and say stupid stuff.

As a recruitment chair, people would ask the strangest questions. One potential new member entered my chapter in desperate need of femine products because she unexpectedly got her period. Understanding that there is no "gift giving" in rush, she asked me if it was OK to leave the house with the tampon, as that could be considered as a gift. I reassured her that it wasn't a gift and that we most certainly did not want it back.

I also have had several experiences with PNM's being rude and saying things about sisters in my house. During one recruitment, a girl stuck her finger down her throat in the formal room of my house. If I was recruitment chair then, I would have grabbed her by her ear and thrown her out.

This past fall, I had an issue with Rho Chi's from other houses breaking rules. They started wandering around my house without permission, going in rooms that were closed (some had voting material) and they were making rude comments about the house. They of course denied it and it never got resolved, but recruitment brings out the strangest things in people!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority is the only one on campus with an actual house. The other three share a building along with Campus Safety. For our open house this year, it was kind of funny to see the Rho Chi's from the other sororities' reactions. Of course, we didn't mind them going through the house with the PNM's, since we have nothing to hide. It's kind of funny, since they dont' let our Rho Chi's in their quads.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Rusher Faux Paus

I think I did okay when I went through as a PNM, but being on the other side is definitely scary too and full of little "oh my gosh, these girls are going to be like, 'what was she doing!?'" moments.
I was on the food committee since I was in Marching Band and missed all the practices for rush. At one of the parties, we were serving a variety of cheesecakes. I was walking around with them and asking the PNM's if they wanted a slice and I would point out the different kinds. Well, I was getting to one of the last tables in the middle and went to point to one and accidently stabbed it with my finger. She looked at me horrified. I started laughing and said, "well of course you wouldn't get that piece!......hey I'm nervous about rush too!" On the way back to the kitchen, I was thinking oh great, now I'll be a great little momento of our house. Ooops! I don't think I remember seeing her again.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
A reason I wanted girl out out out. . .
one girl went through and she was all flogging giving us this *sob*sob* story of how she had epilepsy. the next day, she told someone else that she had cancer. well, a friend of mine who is in another sorority came and said, 'we had one girl almost pass out. . .she's got sickle cell anemia.'
i was like, 'what?' only blacks get sickle cell!'

we all started laughing. . .watch out for the sympathy girls. . .

anyway, both of our sororities ended up not wanting her. . .
Old 12-12-2002, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This story offended some people, so I'm deleting it. I apologize if any found my story about the activities of the rho chi's at my school offensive! It was retold only in the spirit of the light-hearted topic, but again, I apologize.

Last edited by adpiucf; 12-13-2002 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a Pref party where we were serving Ginger Ale in champagne glasses. Someone from Panhell came by during our second party because a Rushee said that she had champagne at our house. There was talk about rush violations until one of our Alumnae members who was working the kitchen offered the person a drink and PROVED it was really ginger ale! Later found out that the rushee had never had ginger ale in her life and had no idea what she was really drinking. We sat and laughed about it for several years whenever we had ginger ale in the house.

DaffyKD
Old 12-13-2002, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Rusher Faux Paus

Quote:
Originally posted by UofISigKap
wanted a slice and I would point out the different kinds. Well, I was getting to one of the last tables in the middle and went to point to one and accidently stabbed it with my finger. She looked at me horrified. I started laughing and said, "well of course you wouldn't get that piece!......hey I'm nervous about rush too!"

Whoops! But at least it sounds like you made a good recovery!

.....Kelly
Old 12-13-2002, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Two Stories:
I was a PX my senior year. We gave all the PM’s little books to record their observations and thoughts in at the end of each day—and then we would collect them so they would be "safe" until the next day’s parties. What the PM’s didn’t know was that while we PX’s were waiting to tabulate the day’s infractions and do paperwork, we were eating pizza and sharing what was written in the books!
Honestly, I think this is awful.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Two Stories:
I was a PX my senior year. We gave all the PM’s little books to record their observations and thoughts in at the end of each day—and then we would collect them so they would be "safe" until the next day’s parties. What the PM’s didn’t know was that while we PX’s were waiting to tabulate the day’s infractions and do paperwork, we were eating pizza and sharing what was written in the books! What can I say? Get 32 women from 8 sororities in a room—we can be evil!
One girl wrote that she thought she was “too pretty” for XYZ or ABC, and wrote pages and pages in her book—we called her “the novelist!” She ended up joining one of those houses!

Another story—this is when I was recruiting as a sister at a formal party the year prior—I was familiar with the PM's applications b/c my chapter had a rule where you had to study the apps coming in. Anyway, this one girl, a PM, was national president of Future Farmers of America. I’m sure this is a great organization, but as I attended a “party school” university, it seemed a bit odd she was coming to our school and wanted to join a GLO. I actually met this girl at a recruitment party. She told me about FFA, and that she knew how to make bombs. She wore torn-up wide legged jeans and chain belts and talked about bomb formulas for homemade bombs. The whole bomb-thing was a bit odd. She seemed nice, but not exactly destined for our house. We dropped her real quick!
I was in FFA. It's a GREAT organization. Do not make fun of that which you don't know. I also went to a HUGE party school and joined a GLO. .Secondly-reading their books...not very nice.

edited because 1) I type badly 2) I should practice what I preach.

Last edited by Blue Violet; 12-13-2002 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Violet

I was in FFA. It's a greek organization. Do not make fun of that which you don't know. I also went to a HUGE party school and joined a GLO. People have different facets-it's called a personality.Secondly-reading their books...Bitchy.

Long story short--- remember the novelist? She ended up becoming the Bomb Girl’s Little Sister!

Blue Violet, I worked with several FFA chapters and I assure you that the Future Farmers of America are not Greeks.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

hey carnation

I meant to say it was a GREAT organization. Sorry-My mind types faster than my fingers.I KNOW they aren't greek.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that the only reason I went through rush was that one of my friends wanted to rush, but she didn't want to go through alone. So, I signed up with her.

We had four sororities on campus, and she and I somehow got grouped together. Anyway... she had her heart set on one. We were at one of the parties -- I forget which -- for this particular group. They happened to have a set of twins who were active. I didn't know them well enough to tell them apart. (can you tell where this is going?) At some point during this party, I referred to the active as {insert her twin's name).

I wasn't invited back. Oh, well. LOL
Old 12-13-2002, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deltaphi94
They happened to have a set of twins who were active. I didn't know them well enough to tell them apart. (can you tell where this is going?) At some point during this party, I referred to the active as {insert her twin's name).

I wasn't invited back. Oh, well. LOL
If that's why you weren't invited back, I don't think they seem like a group you'd want to be a part of, anyway. Sounds like they had a big ole' stick up their collective you-know-whats.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a total spaz

I asked why they had so many turtles...She looked at me like I was stupid. Meh well...It happens.