GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,800
0 members and 1,800 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

At first I didn't think I did anything like this, but then I realized that I did. For example when we got our rush books I looked up each house. I crossed ASA off my list right away bc their philanthropy was the Special Olympics. I have always been scared of mentally hanidcapped kids bc when Iwas 8 my cousin(who was mentally handicapped) chased me around trying to kiss me and saying he wanted to marry me-he was 16. So I didn't want that philanthropy. I also don't like the color red which is one of ASA's colors/ Guess which houe I joined-- yep ASA.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
If I would have joined a sorority based on colors, I'd be a Delta Phi Epsilon. I HATED pink... now I'm obsessed with it! But purple is still one of my favorite colors.

KLTC
Old 07-27-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
If I would have joined a sorority based on colors, I'd be a Delta Phi Epsilon. I HATED pink... now I'm obsessed with it! But purple is still one of my favorite colors.
I would have been a DG based on colors. I figure that wine and silver blue are close enough to pink and blue so I'm happy.

Jess
Old 07-27-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by KDatUTC
EVERY sorority is awesome .... none wouldn't have lasted this long if they weren't. And, it's not about the best, but the best FOR YOU! But, this knowledge comes after being on the other side of things...
Good Answer!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to douthit Send a message via Yahoo to douthit
Quote:
Originally posted by KDatUTC
[B]I hope I don't sound shallow..but I cut a house because they snapped after EVERYTHING they said. They kept bragging about everything they had won over the years, so they snapped about 15 times in the 30 mins I was there. Also, SERIOUSLY...I got a splitting headache as soon as I walked into their house. And the funny thing is, I'm a legacy of that sorority..... yeah, my mom was sooo pleased
I hate it when the sororities at my school snap their fingers for whatever reason! The worst was at the Greek Awards banquet during greek week when I was a freshman. Both AOPi and Pi Phi would snap after everything, and it got to be quite a bit since they were winning the majority of the awards for the sororities. Later, at a different awards ceremony, my girlfriend at the time would do the same thing when a sister won something because she knew how much it pissed me off!
Old 07-28-2002, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

All the houses at my school snap as awell-- apparently this is quieter than clapping so that is why they do it except DZ. They wave their hands in the air. I though they were doing a chicken dance which didin't make sense, but i learned that their philanthropy dealt with sign language-- I don't know if this is their main one or not and I'm sure it has a better name then sign language philanthropy.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
We call it Speech and Hearing Impaired.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know why, but I thought that the whole snapping thing was just a USC thing!!!!

But, yeah, we do it, too. EXCEPT during rush, most sororities clap BECAUSE it's louder. But in meetings and awards banquets, we snap. It's less rude and doesn't cover up the speaker if they're trying to make another point.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:37 AM

Red face The snapping thing!

I know when I was a collegiate my chapter could not stand snapping. We didn't care who you were. If you snapped you'd get looked at like you were a three headed monster! It was just toooo "sorority girl" and my chapter was the anti-sorority sorority. I don't know how my chapter looks upon it now since the dynamics have changed a lot. But I still cringe when I hear snapping.

Waving hands on the other hand.... SPARKLES. Also known as spirit fingers. I loved that!
Old 07-29-2002, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL... ok, this snapping thing - i thought our chapter was like the only one who was like WTF??? the first time we heard the snapping... i'm on panhel and it drives me INSANE when they snap at exec. argh... it's so freaking annoying and girly ... i dunno... it's hilarious though cause the ifc pres and new sae pres/past ifc vp used to come and they would snap too cause the girls told them to!!! my sisters and i would just look at one another like, is it us? i felt so socially unacceptable cause i wasn't snapping too. i have on occasion given in and snapped when a smile and encouraging nod weren't enough at these meetings... argh oh well... my chapter is not known for being "quiet" or "polite" i guess when it comes to that stuff... we will never snap and will always be the ones that everyone asks, aren't they the smallest? how can they make that much noise??? (well hopefully not about the smallest part)

as for the waving hands because of the association with the speech/hearing impaired philanthropy - i love it! (i've taken sign language when i was younger, we had a close friend who was hearing impaired)

any-ways, hope i didn't offend anyone!
(edited cause i can't spell)

~*~
Old 08-04-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink LOL

LOL, this thread is awesome! I dropped one house because their big formal is themed 'Italian Wedding' and I'm Scottish, I felt really weird about it. I dropped another house because of their mean nickname, and a third because of an incident with the fan in the tent outside their house where we waited for the party to start. Apparently, one of the fan blades managed to snag the extension cord that was hanging from the top of the tent and rip it off the tent. It made a loud 'Crack!' and we all thought the fan was going to come down on our heads. It was hilarious, all of us in our immaculate sundresses diving out of the tent to keep from being crushed by the ceiling fan. The fan didn't fall, but I was so freaked out that I'm sure I wasn't a stellar conversationalist during that party, and I dropped that house at the first opportunity. Looking at all this, I'm amazed I ended up in the right house for me; I was such a twit during recruitment!
Old 08-06-2002, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaChiS2K
I may be a total dork, but I LOVE the snapping!! People talk less when they snap than when they clap, and that's why our chapter does it. It really does make a difference. Plus, it gives new meaning to the phrase, "Two snaps up!"

Hmmm.... when I went through rush there was one house that kept calling me by the wrong name. I was wearing a nametag that CLEARLY said "Maya" and they all kept calling me "Mary"... I corrected them numerous times and they still kept calling me Mary. It wasn't a house I was going to pledge anyways, but that just topped it off.

Of the 4 houses that interested me, I cut one because (among other reasons) a couple of girls were very heroin-chic looking- long lank hair, uber-skinny, with pounds of black eyeliner and dark shadow. They looked.... kind of dead. It scared me, so I cut them. Now I'm best friends with that sorority's president, though, and they are a great bunch of girls.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I like it cuz its not as loud as clapping and more focused. You can clap for anything, but when you get you snaps, you get snaps.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig
When we were first founded our chapter had cute little dress suits that were blue and worn with a gold top... I guess it was cool to dress alike back then!
Alison, I can't believe you guys had those too. We have pics of the sisters from the early 70's wearing sort of yellow on cream checked dress suits...why yellow, I don't know. I guess red would have been too much. The first time we saw the pics our collective reaction was "WTF??!?"

Oh, and what is this "snapping" thing? You don't have sisters dressed up like Men on Film at your parties, do you?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of snapping and clapping....

My chapter stepped outside the norm and did a 'hand-wave' like you were fanning yourself on a hot day. The wave meant 'I agree' and our poor new members (and even other A-Phis from different chapters) were always so confused by our bizarre hand motions. I know where the wave originated from, but I have no idea how it mutated in such a way. It's very addictive though - I find myself doing it even when I am talking to people who are not from my chapter!

Closed Thread