GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,409
2 members and 1,407 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin

Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Sure, and in a way, it means that you avoid PNMs who are doing it sorta half-assed. You could make the argument that same-day sign-ups are not a good thing at schools where membership is going to be a very large time/financial commitment.
Oh for sure. i think it was on GC that I read that at some schools there was a phenomenon that girls signed up for recruitment only for the benefit of moving into the dorms early.

At the same time while it does weed out PNMs who are not prepared for Greek Life; it is a double-edged sword in that it doesn't terribly dispel the stereotype of Going Greek as nothing more than a symbol of wealth/privilege.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why does recruitment cost so much at the big SEC schools? I think it was $25 when I rushed at Illinois, and it's probably not that much more than that now, because they still get a lot of same-day sign-ups. I know they have to print recruitment booklets and buy shirts for the RC's, but what else are they spending all that money on when it costs $100/PNM?
A lot of schools have gone to an escalating cost...the later you wait to sign up, the more you pay.
It does help - imagine having to get recs (yes, we still do that even though we want the PNMs to do it) for 400 girls who signed up the last week!

There are recruitment booklets that are mailed out, multiple shirts for the RCs, one or two shirts each for the PNMs (usually for philanthropy day, two shirts for two days of philanthropy day rounds), renting auditoriums for recruitment convocations, printing for various needs, tents for shade and water, trash collection, and (I have no idea how much but I'll bet it's a lot) software for recruitment.

And, probably, a lot of other incidentals.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 05-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
A lot of schools have gone to an escalating cost...the later you wait to sign up, the more you pay.
It does help - imagine having to get recs (yes, we still do that even though we want the PNMs to do it) for 400 girls who signed up the last week!

There are recruitment booklets that are mailed out, multiple shirts for the RCs, one or two shirts each for the PNMs (usually for philanthropy day, two shirts for two days of philanthropy day rounds), renting auditoriums for recruitment convocations, printing for various needs, tents for shade and water, trash collection, and (I have no idea how much but I'll bet it's a lot) software for recruitment.

And, probably, a lot of other incidentals.
I wonder what the software licensing is like, especially when it seems that a decent programmer could write the same thing in a matter of a week or two.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wonder what the software licensing is like, especially when it seems that a decent programmer could write the same thing in a matter of a week or two.
Dunno, but the software that I'm familiar with went through a LOT of de-bugging years.
What we use does at least this, and probably more that I don't know about:
PNMs register and pay
PNMs submit photos
Sorts info with multiple parameters
Accessible in various ways by Panhel officers, sorority officers and alumnae advisors, depending on permissions you are given at different levels
Manages and melds lists of preferences from sororities and PNMs (close to 1,500 at Alabama last year)
Does the preference list thing every day
Figures return percentages allowed to each sorority each day
Available 24/7 from the first day of registration through at least a couple of weeks after recruitment ends

Hey, I'm just an English major; my head is already spinning!