GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,570
2 members and 2,568 guests
baangelasteaxdy, JayhawkAOII

Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Towson University - Kappa Alpha Theta?

I want Towson University in MD to colonize a chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta. I was in Theta at another school but transferred to Towson. None of the sororities here can even compare to what I experienced as a Theta, not that it matters to me since I can't re-affiliate anyway. I think TU would be a great place for Theta, and even if I can't take part it in for long (2 years, tops) I would love for there to be a chapter so close to my hometown.

What would it take to start a chapter at Towson??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44sgirl View Post
I want Towson University in MD to colonize a chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta. I was in Theta at another school but transferred to Towson. None of the sororities here can even compare to what I experienced as a Theta, not that it matters to me since I can't re-affiliate anyway. I think TU would be a great place for Theta, and even if I can't take part it in for long (2 years, tops) I would love for there to be a chapter so close to my hometown.

If you are really a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, you know how to direct your inquires to Kappa Alpha Theta and TU not via Greekchat.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wow....
Well, 1) I can't claim to know about the campus, but it would seem that Towson is pretty saturated as far as sororities go for total only being 85. Further, Towson just expanded in 2010. It's unlikely that they would be ready to expand again.

2) Why exactly can't you re-affiliate?

3) (And most importantly) it's extremely rude to say that none of the sororities at Towson can compare to your experience with Theta. You're downplaying their importance to every member of those chapters, and you're online, you could have a countless number of Towson alums on this site who's chapters you basically just called worthless. You are not a member of those sororities, you don't know what it's like, and further um hello, that's how we all feel about our organizations. Learn some tact.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

She can't re-affiliate b/c there's no Theta chapter at Towson.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I understand that, but if she's interested in starting a chapter, wouldn't she be able to reaffiliate? She's making it sound like she just wants to bring a chapter to the school, and then she couldn't be a part of it.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Moot point. There won't be a Theta chapter at Towson in the next two years. I interpreted it as "I can't reaffiliate b/c there is no chapter".

Oh wait… I have been reading further down the list. Hmmm...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

You should certainly contact Fraternity HQ. Just be aware that expansion is an enormous undertaking. Establishing a new chapter takes years of planning, a substantial financial commitment and support of local alumnae. There are already several new chapters in the pipeline, which would take place precedence. The FIRST step is for a college or university to even be open for expansion.

I hate that you won't be able to participate as a collegian while you are at Towson. Find out if there is a local alumnae group to get involved with, assuming that you are a member in good standing. That is your best way to keep in touch with your Theta affiliation.

Last edited by thetalady; 12-11-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=137282

Quote:
Does anyone on here know anything about the involuntary inactivity process in Theta and what it takes to become an active member again?

Read this recent thread which will give you a brief description about what it takes to bring a new chapter of an NPC to campus. It's not easy, and it probably won't happen while you're in school.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=137232

But I'm not sure it matters, because it looks like you're not an active member…?

@~/~~~~
Old 12-11-2013, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

To clarify….I am not involuntarily inactive. I transferred schools and therefore have alumna status. I am simply inquiring about involuntary inactivity due to circumstances involving a friend of mine from my prior university. I'm not going to share any info as to what these circumstances were because it is personal for that sister. It's a completely unrelated topic anyway.

And what I meant by not being able to re-affiliate was that there is no Theta chapter at Towson, and I can't just join another sorority.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Also….please do not mistake my loyalty to my own sorority as being rude. I am not trying to say that there aren't great sororities with great sisterhoods at Towson. I just meant that, for me, none of the sororities on this campus, as far as I can tell by the people I know and the events I've attended, would have been a good fit for me. Obviously I'm not trying to degrade the other sororities on this campus. They are wonderful. I just think that having Theta would be a good addition, especially since there aren't a whole lot of chapters in Maryland and I'd like to see it grow in this area.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

It is certainly admirable that you would like another chapter there. Unfortunately, it is not up to you at all. There is a procedure to bring a new chapter of any kind to a campus. Your Greek Life Adviser at TU or the extension folks at Theta HQ can explain it to you. Obviously, TU is not currently open for extension and therefore Theta - nor anyone else - will be colonizing until such time as the campus votes to do so and begins the search process. Being a part of the local alumnae chapter would give you the opportunity to be available to help with that if and when it should occur.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To clarify….I am not involuntarily inactive. I transferred schools and therefore have alumna status. I am simply inquiring about involuntary inactivity due to circumstances involving a friend of mine from my prior university. I'm not going to share any info as to what these circumstances were because it is personal for that sister. It's a completely unrelated topic anyway.
As I responded in the other thread, this needs to go directly to HQ. Actually, the sister in question needs to be the one handling this with her Advisory Board Chair and her chapter. She knows what is necessary to be returned to active status. It's not a subject for discussion on the Internet.

Quote:
And what I meant by not being able to re-affiliate was that there is no Theta chapter at Towson, and I can't just join another sorority.
Yes, that is how I interpreted your statement.

Regardless, I ask you to consider carefully in future what you write before you hit "send". Here on GC, we are (at least the majority of us, with a few known exceptions) Panhellenic in our interactions with one another. Your remarks regarding the exisitng Towson chapters did not come across in that spirit, despite your intent.

TLAM, AZTheta
Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

As someone with experience at TU, get used to not having a chapter at Towson. They won't be opening for expansion anytime soon, and it isn't the type of campus that Theta is usually clamoring to colonize. Even if it did open, every group would get to submit interest packets and the TU Panhellenic would choose who they wanted to colonize. IF TU opens for expansion and IF Theta submitted a packet and IF they were chosen to present and IF Theta was then chosen to colonize you'd get your wish. That is a LOT of IFs, and you'd probably be graduated IF it ever did happen (which none of it will.)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Also….please do not mistake my loyalty to my own sorority as being rude. I am not trying to say that there aren't great sororities with great sisterhoods at Towson. I just meant that, for me, none of the sororities on this campus, as far as I can tell by the people I know and the events I've attended, would have been a good fit for me. Obviously I'm not trying to degrade the other sororities on this campus. They are wonderful. I just think that having Theta would be a good addition, especially since there aren't a whole lot of chapters in Maryland and I'd like to see it grow in this area.
If you don't feel that you would have fit in at any of the other chapters there, you probably wouldn't have fit in a Theta chapter there either. The people at the school don't magically change if a new chapter comes along. The only exception is a chapter targeting a niche ( religious/major/ethnicity) market. It may be a blessing in disguise that your sorority isn't there.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Regardless, I ask you to consider carefully in future what you write before you hit "send". Here on GC, we are (at least the majority of us, with a few known exceptions) Panhellenic in our interactions with one another. Your remarks regarding the exisitng Towson chapters did not come across in that spirit, despite your intent.
Yes, thank you!