GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,175
3 members and 1,172 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Question COBing fresh when upperclass quota isn't met

=

Last edited by Anchored4Ever; 04-16-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: mean responses
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but since upperclassmen quota is a campus-specific policy, they probably wouldn't have national policy on it.

That said, my personal feelings are HELL NO, you can't slot freshmen in upperclass quota, because it totally defeats the purpose.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapter met quota. The "upperclassman" quota is like a bonus unless the local Panhellenic bylaws state otherwise. However, the chapter is still under total. They can bid up to total and can bid any elligible woman.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchored4Ever View Post
Question:
Sorority XX pledged quota+ of underclassmen during formal recruitment, but did not meet the upperclassman quota (chapter willingly released too many upperclassmen many before pref) and were 5 upperclassmen shy of quota on bid day.
Is that what you meant and missed a word? Not being a pickypants, just trying to clarify.

If they pledged quota plus of underclassmen - what was the plus? (It's easier to do this if you use actual numbers. )
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise4fun View Post
The chapter met quota. The "upperclassman" quota is like a bonus unless the local Panhellenic bylaws state otherwise. However, the chapter is still under total. They can bid up to total and can bid any elligible woman.
Cruise4fun is completely correct. Quota is no longer in effect. The issue is now total. They are COBing to fill their total and it does NOT matter who they fill those slots with. They do not have to take the upperclassmen during recruitment, and you do not know why they did not fill that upperclassman quota. They are under no obligation to take only upperclassmen to get to Total during COB because your campus has an upperclassman quota during recruitment. The same would apply for a chapter that missed quota by 5 but was 6 under Total. They could still take 6 members because they can bid to Total. It has NOTHING to do with Quota once recruitment is over.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
If they are under total, they can bid whomever they want to reach total. Period.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It has NOTHING to do with Quota once recruitment is over.
True in this case, but not always, which brings up an interesting scenario.

If you are over total, but didn't reach quota, you can still COB to quota. If the chapter in her situation did not fill its upperclassman quota, but was over total, I would make the argument that they could only fill the upperclassman quota with upperclassmen. There is nothing in the MOI, but it seems to make sense, and if I were the OP, I would suggest the rule to my CPH.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise4fun View Post
precisely.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

If you are over total, but didn't reach quota, you can still COB to quota. If the chapter in her situation did not fill its upperclassman quota, but was over total, I would make the argument that they could only fill the upperclassman quota with upperclassmen. There is nothing in the MOI, but it seems to make sense, and if I were the OP, I would suggest the rule to my CPH.
A chapter can not COB to quota if they are over total. Per the MOI page 77
Quote:
Vacancies in the chapter membership roll can be filled only if the chapter is below total.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
A chapter can not COB to quota if they are over total. Per the MOI page 77
What? I think that passage refers to replacing members who have either disaffiliated, transferred, or graduated. But if a chapter misses quota in formal recruitment but are over total they can still COB to quota.

Upperclassman total is a bonus, though and completely dependent on campus PHC bylaws.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
What? I think that passage refers to replacing members who have either disaffiliated, transferred, or graduated. But if a chapter misses quota in formal recruitment but are over total they can still COB to quota.
What may be confusing is this part of the MOI page 105
Quote:
Vacancies in Quota
When a woman negates her signed membership recruitment acceptance binding agreement, refuses to accept her matched bid at the conclusion of membership recruitment and does not participate in a ribbon or formal new member ceremony, this space in the chapter’s pledge quota was not filled. Therefore, the chapter may immediately bid and pledge another woman, even if the chapter is over total. However, if the chapter has received quota additions, the chapter may only pledge additional women to the established quota and not to the quota plus quota additions. Example: If quota is 25, and a chapter receives quota (25) plus two quota additions for a total of 27 new members, and three new members do not accept their bids, the chapter may pledge woman to fill to the quota of 25.
This is only if you received quota, not if you did not reach quota.
ETA: MOI page 115
Quote:
The purpose of COB is to enable those chapters that did not pledge quota, or pledged quota but did not reach total, to take additional new members immediately following the designated membership recruitment period.

Last edited by Mevara; 04-15-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
What may be confusing is this part of the MOI page 105

This is only if you received quota, not if you did not reach quota.
ETA: MOI page 115
You did not, and neither did DBB, say that the hypothetical chapter did not reach quota but had additions. (Unless you're confused and think DBB was referring to the chapter in the OP).

The rule is that if your chapter does not reach quota, they may bid to quota even if they are over total.

Quota additions are a bonus. You don't get to use them just whenever. Obviously.

In this case, since the OP said that the chapter is bidding to total and not upperclassmen quota, then they can bid whomever they like. Depending on campus rules, they may or may not be able to bid upperclassmen quota but my assumption would be from her first and second post in this thread that that's not really the situation.

Last edited by agzg; 04-15-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM

We're talking about a separate upperclassman quota, not quota additions. Two completely different animals.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

I agree, you can always fill your quota even if you are at total, but you don't have to. You also don't have to fill your upperclassman quota to reach total.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You did not, and neither did DBB, say that the hypothetical chapter did not reach quota but had additions. (Unless you're confused and think DBB was referring to the chapter in the OP).

The rule is that if your chapter does not reach quota, they may bid to quota even if they are over total.
I was not talking about quota additions, I only cut the whole section out of the MOI to be completely clear. I am sorry about the lane swerve as all my comments were only referring to DBB's comments of COBing to quota if the chapter is over total.

Where is the rule that says a chapter can COB to quota if they are over total?
Quote:
In this case, since the OP said that the chapter is bidding to total and not upperclassmen quota, then they can bid whomever they like. Depending on campus rules, they may or may not be able to bid upperclassmen quota but my assumption would be from her first and second post in this thread that that's not really the situation.
Agree