GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,384
1 members and 1,383 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

APO Chapters at non-greek campuses

I was asked by one of the Regional extension chairs if I knew of a list of the active chapters at schools on non-greek campuses.

I've come up with the following schools.

Georgetown U. (DC)
St. Bonaventure U. (NY)
Regent U. (VA)

Citadel U. (SC)
Maine Maritime A. (ME)
Georgia Military College (GA)

Alfred U. (NY)

University of Alaska - Southeast (AK)

Anyone have any more ideas?

Last edited by naraht; 05-09-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fix name
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Aren't there some in Pennsylvania - the eastern part? (Don't even ask names, I haven't had my caffeine yet)
Old 05-09-2010, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't think the chapter at the Citadel was still active?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyang View Post
I didn't think the chapter at the Citadel was still active?
You are right... Scratch that one off the list....

Randy
Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Explicit
I believe Drew University in NJ is also non-greek.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Last I had heard APO was starting a chapter at University of Illinois, Springfield which is otherwise non-greek. No clue if they've been successful at becoming a full chapter or not.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, what are we using to define as non-greek? A campus that prohibits greeks, or one that just doesn't have any there?

UIS is a bit of a different case, because while the institution has been around since 1969, they were a two year upper-division school (juniors and seniors only) only within the last 10-15 years or so. The campus culture up until within the last 10 years has been one aimed at non-traditional students, so that would also explain the lack of a greek system on campus.

FWIW, APO did try to start a chapter there in the 1980s, when the school was called Sangamon State University and still a 2-year upper division school, but the group never made it. The current Petitioning Group at UIS either just submitted their chartering application or will be very soon.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid1978 View Post
Well, what are we using to define as non-greek? A campus that prohibits greeks, or one that just doesn't have any there?

UIS is a bit of a different case, because while the institution has been around since 1969, they were a two year upper-division school (juniors and seniors only) only within the last 10-15 years or so. The campus culture up until within the last 10 years has been one aimed at non-traditional students, so that would also explain the lack of a greek system on campus.

FWIW, APO did try to start a chapter there in the 1980s, when the school was called Sangamon State University and still a 2-year upper division school, but the group never made it. The current Petitioning Group at UIS either just submitted their chartering application or will be very soon.
Oh certainly as primarily a "senior" college it is not surprising it didn't have a greek system, however since it has been a full four year institution for a a while now I thought I'd toss them out there. And as I said, I wasn't sure how far along their group was in the process.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
I believe Drew University in NJ is also non-greek.
Someone on the group on yahoo also came up with Drew, they fit the grouping as well.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Last I had heard APO was starting a chapter at University of Illinois, Springfield which is otherwise non-greek. No clue if they've been successful at becoming a full chapter or not.
I know they are a PG, and last I heard in pretty good shape. They've got a facebook group... I could see APO being the first, but at some point the school having social greeks. My guess is that if UIS was a more urban campus, they might have NPHC greeks...
Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Either one... UIS is more like University of Alaska Southeast, I think. Public, but with no real reason to be against having social greeks other than the size/historical size of the campus...

And UIS probably should go on the list, even if it isn't an active chapter yet.

I'm not including the inactive chapters at schools without greeks, for some we were allowed on back when we were much closer culturally/control to BSA.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Virginia Intermont?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I know they are a PG, and last I heard in pretty good shape. They've got a facebook group... I could see APO being the first, but at some point the school having social greeks. My guess is that if UIS was a more urban campus, they might have NPHC greeks...
It's literally in a cornfield. APO will most certainly be the first.
It appears there are city-wide chapters, but I would suspect that demographics/numbers are the reason why there aren't collegiate chapters of the D9. They've only recently graduated their first freshman class and have been oriented toward more CC students finishing their degrees and many non-traditional students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Either one... UIS is more like University of Alaska Southeast, I think. Public, but with no real reason to be against having social greeks other than the size/historical size of the campus...

And UIS probably should go on the list, even if it isn't an active chapter yet.

I'm not including the inactive chapters at schools without greeks, for some we were allowed on back when we were much closer culturally/control to BSA.
Aye there's no anti-greek movement on campus that I've seen.

Just trying to be helpful
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
It's literally in a cornfield. APO will most certainly be the first.
It appears there are city-wide chapters, but I would suspect that demographics/numbers are the reason why there aren't collegiate chapters of the D9. They've only recently graduated their first freshman class and have been oriented toward more CC students finishing their degrees and many non-traditional students.

Aye there's no anti-greek movement on campus that I've seen.

Just trying to be helpful
I wouldn't call the capital of the 5th most populous state with core population of 110k and a metro area of over 180k "literally in a cornfield" by any stretch. The fact that it's not a more urban area has almost nothing to do with the lack of NPHC greeks on campus, since most other public campuses in Illinois actually are in the middle of cornfield (population areas of 20k - 40k), yet have active NPHC chapters. I'm very confident that the incredibly unique culture of the campus compared to the other major 4-year public institutions that has kept most GLOs (NPHC or not) from expanding to the school. I'm not sure if any of them have even tried yet; I haven't seen or heard of anybody else trying to extend to the campus, but that doesn't mean they're not

The extension effort has been a Petitioning Group for over three years now, and took quite a while to get to that point as well. As I recall, and I'm sure some other R6 staffers will correct me on this, it was a cold start extension effort. I also recall that since APO approached the administration first we were going to be the standard by which they evaluated other GLOs coming to campus, but that may have been the sponsor's opinion at the time.

I do know the campus is researching and discussing how social greek life would be integrated into the campus community: http://www.uis.edu/journal/archives/...opinion.html#3

(Disclosure: I work for the University of Illinois, attended UIUC and have taken classes at UIS)
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wouldn't call the capital of the 5th most populous state with core population of 110k and a metro area of over 180k "literally in a cornfield" by any stretch. The fact that it's not a more urban area has almost nothing to do with the lack of NPHC greeks on campus, since most other public campuses in Illinois actually are in the middle of cornfield (population areas of 20k - 40k), yet have active NPHC chapters. I'm very confident that the incredibly unique culture of the campus compared to the other major 4-year public institutions that has kept most GLOs (NPHC or not) from expanding to the school. I'm not sure if any of them have even tried yet; I haven't seen or heard of anybody else trying to extend to the campus, but that doesn't mean they're not

The extension effort has been a Petitioning Group for over three years now, and took quite a while to get to that point as well. As I recall, and I'm sure some other R6 staffers will correct me on this, it was a cold start extension effort. I also recall that since APO approached the administration first we were going to be the standard by which they evaluated other GLOs coming to campus, but that may have been the sponsor's opinion at the time.

I do know the campus is researching and discussing how social greek life would be integrated into the campus community: http://www.uis.edu/journal/archives/...opinion.html#3

(Disclosure: I work for the University of Illinois, attended UIUC and have taken classes at UIS)
Springfield is indeed nice in size, but the campus is literally amidst the cornfields, I wasn't kidding!

I was just hypothesizing, I meant demographics more in the sense of age than anything else. City-wide chapters have probably served the population well, at least to this point. I have no idea if there is any social greek expansion but I haven't heard of it outside a less than intelligent group of girls on facebook calling themselves Sigmas. They stopped.

(I attend UIS atm for grad school )

Last edited by Drolefille; 05-19-2010 at 12:04 AM.