GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,835
1 members and 1,834 guests
Joobee

Old 05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

Smartass answer: "I'm a lesbian."
I like "I can't get married in this state". Most people have no idea what you're talking about.

If I got married at my age, I would cheat on someone left and right. I don't see how many young people get married and stay faithful (the ones who do).

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2008, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

A friend once told me that the person you marry will determine 90% of your happiness or 90% of your pain. Also, my education is my top priority right now, plus I would just stay single unless I met a guy who was a spiritual leader, faithful, respectful, honest, a good communicator, happy and very loving.

ETA: Oh, and I forgot to add, totally hot too.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 05-12-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
See, I've kinda gotten this from both corners. Because my fiance and I have dated for 6.5 years and counting, we got the "when ye gettin maaaaaaaaaaaried" from all the matriarchs for pretty much the last 3 years.

Then I tell people here in Scotland that I'm getting married at 23, and the go, "wow, you're so young! Why are you getting married?". Because it's not really a "thing" here to get married young. Yeah people do it, but it isn't like it is back home. Fewer people are getting married period because you've got civil partnership and domestic partnership and etc and you get a lot of the social benefits without having to be married (free healthcare is nation wide (I *heart* the NHS!), couples have an expectation of privacy in communication (although the protection is more solid in the case of marriage) etc.

Basically, opinions are like...you know the rest.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
"why are you so picky?"

"Because I saw the choice you made, and I really want to do better."
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

The only question worse than "When are you getting married?" is "How is your husband?" when you are in the process of a divorce....

Get married when you feel its right in your bones--and not until then. This is not something to "settle" on.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
"Because I saw the choice you made, and I really want to do better."
That's funny. It's funny because I know that there are people I know who got married to the most awful guys just to have a wedding and say they got married, and I DON'T want to be like them. There's a girl I know who got married last summer (May 2007) to a guy who wasn't that great (controlling, mean, liked to drink alot) and this summer, she is finalizing her divorce. She's 22 and they didn't even make it a year. I know for certain that I don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPIDelta View Post
The only question worse than "When are you getting married?" is "How is your husband?" when you are in the process of a divorce....

Ouch. That would hurt.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course I know that, but in my social circle, the generally accepted timeline of events is:

1. Meet boyfriend in undergrad (junior year)
2. Get engaged shortly before graduation.
3. Plan wedding for 1-2 years.
4. Marry
5. Buy home soon after
6. Have first child before age 30.

I've sort of broken the generally accepted timeline. I'm one of those people who feels like you can't put timelines on that type of stuff, and that we just can't try to plan our lives. Do I want all those things? Yep. But I refuse to stress myself over them and generally feel like I am still young and my bio clock is not "ticking."

If you've sort of broken the generally accepted timeline, I've shot it to hell.
1. Met then BF my 2nd semester of grad school.
2. Got engaged 5 years later
3. Married after 8 months (so there we sped it up)
4. Married on 6th anniversary of 2nd date.12/31/05
5. Just bought house (this past july)
6. Kids in 2010 maybe? (I just turned 32)

Why is it anyone's business? I hate this line of questioning...I'm getting the "when are you having kids?" all the damn time now. How do they know we haven't been trying and it's not working?We haven't, but seriously how do they know this? It's just intrusive and rude all the way around.
Our society has issues in thinking people are not complete if they are not married with children.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
Why is it anyone's business? I hate this line of questioning...I'm getting the "when are you having kids?" all the damn time now. How do they know we haven't been trying and it's not working?We haven't, but seriously how do they know this? It's just intrusive and rude all the way around.
Our society has issues in thinking people are not complete if they are not married with children.

I agree. I also think it's rude to ask things like that. Like, the most recent person to ask me about being married was a girl from my HS. I came into her Express where she works and she started a conversation with me. She is 24, married, with 2 kids. We were just talking about what we had been up to lately since I had not seen her since I graduated. We were talking about school, and she was saying that she is going back after her son gets older, and in her next breath, "So you don't have any little ones?" I smiled and said "Well, no." She responds with "Well when are you going to get married and settle down, you're getting old!" I simply changed the subject to the store's new premium denim line lol.

It bugged me because like AOII_LB93 said, she just doesn't know me well enough to ask that. How did she know I didn't just lose my fiance in a plane crash? How did she know I didn't just have a miscarriage? It's just a generally rude line of questioning.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
college is not a dating/find-a-man workshop like it used to be. half my friends went to college just to get a husband! heck, for 35k i will take time out and personally find you a man lol! my sister is 23 and constantly gets that question. she also doesnt date AT ALL so i think theres a difference between when we ask and when other people ask. ours is more out of concern lol!

and im engaged with two kids. i took the non-conventional route and still get asked when we are getting married. i always respond "as soon as you donate some money towards a wedding" and that usually clears things up!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I've been dating my b/f since March 2007, and now that we've been dating over a year, some of my friends are coming up to me (even some of my single friends) and asking when are we gonna get married.

I turned 23 in March, he's going to be 28 in July. People don't realize that we're just taking our time and not rushing anything. I do want to get married, but neither one of us is ready for it and we like where our relationship is right now.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I always said it was because I had too many things that I wanted to accomplish and I didn't *need* a man to accomplish them. Needing a man was not one of the things I wanted to accomplish!

I have always been super independent, so my family never ever asked me. They would always say to do what I wanted to do before I ever thought of settling down. I was in a relationship in my late 20s and really thought I was going to get married. Turns out that was not the case, but a few years later, I am registering for china at macy's! LOL. I truly couldn't imagine being married prior to now.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
... She is 24, married, with 2 kids. ...She responds with "Well when are you going to get married and settle down, you're getting old!"
Oh the irony. Who is the old one now?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW, my response used to be, "Well, you've obviously not introduced me to the right person yet." Put the ball in their court!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

KSU-

I agree. This is a completely rude question. As someone who didn't marry until I was 31 and didn't have my first child until a week before my 34th birthday, trust me, I have heard both the marriage and kid question a time or two (or 600).

Here's the thing. I wouldn't trade my 20s for *anything.* I traveled freely, saw the country, advanced in my career, and learned how to be self-sufficient in car maintenence, computer/electronic issues, financial matters, etc. I went to tons of concerts, enjoyed a few too many happy hours, and did plenty "spur of the moment" activities. I met tons of other women who were also single (living in Dallas, being single in your 20s is not unusual) as well as the opportunity to meet lots of different men too. It is unbelievable what a different- and better- person I was at 29 than I was at 24.

By contrast, my friends who married straight out of college were either divorced or not happy in their marriage by age 30. That is not to say that that is the case for everyone who marries younger, but it certainly was for my circle. These people were the ones at 25 making me feel guilty for not being married, yet by 30 they were openly jealous of the freedom that I had.

I usually told the nosy people that I was enjoying the opportunity to do things while I was single that I might not have the opportunity to if I was married and certainly if I had kids. I also pointed out how miserable my married friends were, and that I *could* be married if I had wanted to (which was true...) but we would now be talking about my divorce. That usually shut the people up.

I do think I matters where you live... both Dallas and Nashville were very "single-friendly" and even once I was married I found I still had plenty of single friends. I now live in a town where the norm is to marry at 22 and to start having kids right away. So... everyone I meet that is my age has been married for 12-13 years, have 4 kids, and the oldest is 11. Even though they are the same age as me... they just "seem" 10 years older. They look at me like I have 2 heads when I mention that I only have 1 child (and he is only 1 yr old). These are super-nice people, but having a conversation with them about anything but kids is next to impossible... because it is all they know. We just have different life experiences.

Therefore, I bring it back to my original point... "I wouldn't trade my 20s for anything."

Best of luck to you... enjoy your singleness, and don't worry about the questions. Once you do decide to get married it will just turn to the kid question, and then it will turn to the 2nd kid question. Since the questions never really stop... just enjoy where you are in life and have fun.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
KSU-

I agree. This is a completely rude question. As someone who didn't marry until I was 31 and didn't have my first child until a week before my 34th birthday, trust me, I have heard both the marriage and kid question a time or two (or 600).

Here's the thing. I wouldn't trade my 20s for *anything.* I traveled freely, saw the country, advanced in my career, and learned how to be self-sufficient in car maintenence, computer/electronic issues, financial matters, etc. I went to tons of concerts, enjoyed a few too many happy hours, and did plenty "spur of the moment" activities. I met tons of other women who were also single (living in Dallas, being single in your 20s is not unusual) as well as the opportunity to meet lots of different men too. It is unbelievable what a different- and better- person I was at 29 than I was at 24.

By contrast, my friends who married straight out of college were either divorced or not happy in their marriage by age 30. That is not to say that that is the case for everyone who marries younger, but it certainly was for my circle. These people were the ones at 25 making me feel guilty for not being married, yet by 30 they were openly jealous of the freedom that I had.

I usually told the nosy people that I was enjoying the opportunity to do things while I was single that I might not have the opportunity to if I was married and certainly if I had kids. I also pointed out how miserable my married friends were, and that I *could* be married if I had wanted to (which was true...) but we would now be talking about my divorce. That usually shut the people up.

I do think I matters where you live... both Dallas and Nashville were very "single-friendly" and even once I was married I found I still had plenty of single friends. I now live in a town where the norm is to marry at 22 and to start having kids right away. So... everyone I meet that is my age has been married for 12-13 years, have 4 kids, and the oldest is 11. Even though they are the same age as me... they just "seem" 10 years older. They look at me like I have 2 heads when I mention that I only have 1 child (and he is only 1 yr old). These are super-nice people, but having a conversation with them about anything but kids is next to impossible... because it is all they know. We just have different life experiences.

Therefore, I bring it back to my original point... "I wouldn't trade my 20s for anything."

Best of luck to you... enjoy your singleness, and don't worry about the questions. Once you do decide to get married it will just turn to the kid question, and then it will turn to the 2nd kid question. Since the questions never really stop... just enjoy where you are in life and have fun.
I agree with every single word of this. More than once, I started to reply to this thread with a "keep your 20s to yourself!" post, but you put it all into words perfectly, Blondie. I loved every minute of my 20s, had the time of my life, learned what it felt like to take complete control of my life and excelled in my professional life. I met my husband when I was 30, married when I was 32 and truly felt like I knew who I was and was better able to adjust to sharing my life with someone. I've often said there's no way I'd still be married if I'd stayed with the guy I was with at 21, 23, 26, etc. Ignore people who act like you "should" be married before you're 30. If it's for you, great, but if it's not, don't rush it. You will be glad that you can look back and say how much you lived and enjoyed your freedom in your 20s, to me, those are the years you really grow and develop as an individual.