GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,352
1 members and 1,351 guests
No Members online

Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

ansmith7, if you use search terms like "Alabama" "recruitment" "recruitment recommendations" in your google search, it will help. I'd help you out but there is a certain alumna here who would explode if I did anything of the sort. You can always PM me, however. You are wise to be thinking ahead now, and getting prepared, especially with recommendations!

In the meantime, here is a thread I think is really useful.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansmith7 View Post
Does is matter if the person writing the rec did not attend the school I am going to?
No, it doesn't!
In Greekchat, go to the "Recruitment" forum, and check out the stickied threads (the ones posted permanently at the top). And under the "REcruitment" forum, go to the "Sorority Recruitment" subforum and look at THOSE stickied threads.

You can also search for "Alabama" on the whole forum.
A couple of other sources I recommend: thesororitylife dot com - official NPC recruitment site, lots of excellent basic info about sororities and recruitment. They also have a site for parents: sororityparents dot com
A blog by a mother who's a sorority alumna (not Alabama) with a daughter just graduated from Alabama and was in a sorority: sororitygirl101 dot com. Lots of good info specific to UA.

Roll Tide!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

ansmith7,

Area Alumnae Panhellenics sometimes offer information meetings to let high school seniors (and others) and parents know about sorority recruitment.

In Alabama, the Birmingham Area Alumna Panhellenic has a session scheduled, so if you're in or near Birmingham, you may want to check it out / attend:

"Birmingham AL area alumnae panhellenic . . .
3rd Annual Sorority 101 Event, February 21st, 2015 at Samford Univeristy's Bashinsky Fieldhouse Gym from 10:00am-12:00pm.

The Sorority 101 Event is open to any high school women with their parents, who are interested in participating in Sorority Recruitment while attending college. We will provide information on the benefits of Sorority life as well as a general description of Sorority Recruitment with fashion vendors on "what to wear".

Please see:

http://birminghampanhellenic.yolasit...-101-event.php
Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansmith7 View Post
sorry, just trying to figure things out, this website is kind of hard to navigate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
ansmith7, if you use search terms like "Alabama" "recruitment" "recruitment recommendations" in your google search, it will help.

In the meantime, here is a thread I think is really useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
No, it doesn't!
In Greekchat, go to the "Recruitment" forum, and check out the stickied threads (the ones posted permanently at the top). And under the "REcruitment" forum, go to the "Sorority Recruitment" subforum and look at THOSE stickied threads.
!
Yes! Also, in terms of searching on GreekChat:
1) Go to "Advanced Search" (it's a link right under the search box on the left side of the main page
2) Search by keyword (HINT: you can select option "in entire post" or "in title only")
3) In the next section below "Search Options", you can limit the search results by forum category (I'd recommend in the recruitment sections), date, etc.

The advanced options help A LOT.

But seriously, the stickied threads.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone here gave me a great tip after the fact which would help for anyone.

When you send your rec package to an alum, include a postcard, addressed to you (with a stamp) for them to drop in the mail when they mail your rec. That way you don't have to wonder if people did as asked.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
use google and include greekchat in the search. It works better.
To be specific, use "Alabama recruitment" or whatever and site:greekchat.com in the search terms.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamamom View Post
Someone here gave me a great tip after the fact which would help for anyone.

When you send your rec package to an alum, include a postcard, addressed to you (with a stamp) for them to drop in the mail when they mail your rec. That way you don't have to wonder if people did as asked.
That's a good idea too but, I usually just email the people to let them know I sent their recommendations. I would be so angry if I asked someone to write me one and they just forgot to do it. That's why, especially for jobs and graduate school, I always tell people to have multiple people lined up. I've seen people "forget" they had to write a recommendation or they didn't have time at the last minute. I would never want to do that to anyone.