GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 305,108
Threads: 114,466
Posts: 2,154,949
Welcome to our newest member, JeraldR90
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Xidelt Xidelt is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,871
Wow. No GPA reports or bid lists on the website? Greek life sure has changed with shamp coming and going
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
FloridaTish FloridaTish is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My heart & mind is in Hawaii
Posts: 272
Gamma Phi Beta

I just looked at Gamma Phi Beta's UGA website and they already have their list of New Members posted with their Bid Day photo. According to the site, they have 57 new members! Way to go Gammies!!!

__________________
Gamma Phi Beta

Last edited by FloridaTish; 08-20-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Football Fan Football Fan is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 1,807
If any of you had pnm friends who attended preference at Tri Delta, I have a copy of the new member list. PM me and I will help if I can with a particular name. Our list should go on the website soon.
Football Fan
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
MerryGPhiB MerryGPhiB is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 306
Cool Look at the Gammie Girls!!!! Wooo hooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaTish View Post
I just looked at Gamma Phi Beta's UGA website and they already have their list of New Members posted with their Bid Day photo. According to the site, they have 57 new members! Way to go Gammies!!!

florida Tish- thanks for the photo WOW! What a great picture!!
thanks
Merry

CONNECT*IMPACT*SHINE
__________________
Merry GPhiB
CONNECT*IMPACT*SHINE

GPhiB
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
AuburnMom08 AuburnMom08 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 122
Oh the greek houses in Athens are gorgeous. Thanks for making me homesick lol.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
baci baci is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 787
The houses are dreamy, ITA!
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
estherjb estherjb is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 53
My mother in law was in that house in the 40's when it was the Chi O house. When I was in Athens it was Sig Ep I think. Boys at any rate. Glad to see it back in the hands of young ladies. Can you imagine what that renovation was like?
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
GeekyPenguin GeekyPenguin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: in a fancy chair behind an important desk
Posts: 9,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherjb View Post
My mother in law was in that house in the 40's when it was the Chi O house. When I was in Athens it was Sig Ep I think. Boys at any rate. Glad to see it back in the hands of young ladies. Can you imagine what that renovation was like?
My chapter moved into a former fraternity house two years ago after over a year of renovations. I think the landlord is quite pleased to have us there instead.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 08-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Fleur de Lis Fleur de Lis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKeyKKG View Post
Lots of UGA Bid Day pictures here too!

http://spotted.onlineathens.com/gall....php?id=404208


Oh my gosh! I was just looking through the bid day pics and a girl I used to babysit is a new KAPPA!!! How random she would be in those few pictures. I'm so happy for her - she will totally fit in with the UGA Kappas.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
nittanyalum nittanyalum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Posts: 4,248
All the mentions of the Hope Scholarships throughout these threads got me curious so I did some googling -- the numbers on this page are impressive in terms of # awarded & $ awarded, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the huge drop in scholarships awarded from 2007-2008 to 2008-2009? Is it because they are awarded throughout the year so the numbers will eventually get to the six figures as in previous years? Anyone in GA know? https://www.gsfc.org/gsfcnew/sandg_facts.cfm?GUID=
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
DoctorD DoctorD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
All the mentions of the Hope Scholarships throughout these threads got me curious so I did some googling -- the numbers on this page are impressive in terms of # awarded & $ awarded, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the huge drop in scholarships awarded from 2007-2008 to 2008-2009? Is it because they are awarded throughout the year so the numbers will eventually get to the six figures as in previous years? Anyone in GA know? https://www.gsfc.org/gsfcnew/sandg_facts.cfm?GUID=
I believe that is the case. Many students do not have money yet for this academic year, and students often "lose Hope" [that always cracks me up for some reason] if their grades fall below the required minimum. The academic year has just started, so I'm betting that the number will rise as the year progresses, and that amount reflects summer payments thus far.

My somewhat educated opinion, for what it's worth.
__________________
Alpha Gamma Delta
Live With Purpose
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM
UGAalum94 UGAalum94 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
All the mentions of the Hope Scholarships throughout these threads got me curious so I did some googling -- the numbers on this page are impressive in terms of # awarded & $ awarded, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the huge drop in scholarships awarded from 2007-2008 to 2008-2009? Is it because they are awarded throughout the year so the numbers will eventually get to the six figures as in previous years? Anyone in GA know? https://www.gsfc.org/gsfcnew/sandg_facts.cfm?GUID=
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
I believe that is the case. Many students do not have money yet for this academic year, and students often "lose Hope" [that always cracks me up for some reason] if their grades fall below the required minimum. The academic year has just started, so I'm betting that the number will rise as the year progresses, and that amount reflects summer payments thus far.

My somewhat educated opinion, for what it's worth.
I agree that mainly it just doesn't reflect the awards to students for this this fall yet.

I think this actually kicked in a few years ago, but there was also a dip in HOPE grants awarded straight out of high school because the qualifying criteria switched from being an B average that student could meet by having an 80 or above on a percentage grade system to a true 3.0 GPA. I think there were a lot of kids who had 80 averages in high schools whose true GPA was more like a 2.5 because they had half 75 ish grades and half 85-ish grades.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
NUBlue&Blue NUBlue&Blue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 330
There was a big change in how it was calculated beginning with last year's senior class. First, they only use your core classes, so you don't get a bonus from that 100 in weight training or honors lunch, and if you failed a class and took it again, the failed grade doesn't get dropped like it used to. Secondly, they used to award a full point for AP or IB classes; now you only get .5 and nothing extra for an A (so the highest you can get is 4.0, even for AP Calculus BC...sucks!). So your school's GPA may be 4.5, but your HOPE GPA would only be 4.0. Our school tells the kids to figure that their HOPE GPA is probably about .5 below their school GPA, so if you have a 3.0 on your report card, chances are you won't have a high enough GPA to get HOPE.

And keeping it is another story altogether. My kids go to Tech. Not exactly generous on the grading scale there (although I always say that it makes sense if you don't want your airplanes falling from the sky or your bridges collapsing). No. 1 daughter is graduating in May and kept it all four years--she can't lose it because she won't come under review again.

Probably more information than anybody wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I agree that mainly it just doesn't reflect the awards to students for this this fall yet.

I think this actually kicked in a few years ago, but there was also a dip in HOPE grants awarded straight out of high school because the qualifying criteria switched from being an B average that student could meet by having an 80 or above on a percentage grade system to a true 3.0 GPA. I think there were a lot of kids who had 80 averages in high schools whose true GPA was more like a 2.5 because they had half 75 ish grades and half 85-ish grades.

Last edited by NUBlue&Blue; 08-21-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
nittanyalum nittanyalum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Posts: 4,248
Ah! Interesting! Thank you for all the information!
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 PM
UGAALUM UGAALUM is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
UGA Panhel told me they will be posting a new member list, but their web person had been out this week.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VeniceIsSinking's pre-recruitment through recruitment thread VeniceIsSinking Recruitment Stories 37 02-18-2008 12:20 AM
My Fun Recruitment Experience (I loved Formal Recruitment!) justabostongirl Recruitment Stories 32 01-03-2008 09:21 PM
As Summer Winds Down, the NEWS Never End(s) AKA2D '91 Alpha Kappa Alpha 295 09-07-2005 07:33 PM
Can I get a roll-call for NPC's using recruitment videos during formal recruitment? gogoaphi Recruitment 28 08-26-2004 04:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.