GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,312
5 members and 2,307 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE

Old 05-21-2004, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIsilver
Of course you are kidding...bad weather is anything below 75 degress.

Have you read A Southern Belle Primer? "Precious" is nearly a kiss-of-death! HAHAHAHA. That is a GREAT book. Definitely required reading!

Silver
You mean why Princess Margaret can never be a Kappa?

I find it "precious" that the tuba and sousaphone players wear skirts (kilts) and capes, and then write things on their undergarments. There is no amount of alcohol that can cope with the sight of some of those people. I do appreciate ACDC being played by the band though, that is always good times. The gold sequined tops can get a little dizzying though on the color guard/flag girls. My favorite has to be that you can use the money on your student ID card to purchase food at the games. I think with the new coach things will really change this year. Though people will have to find a new character to make fun of in all their homecoming and other skits
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2004, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
find it "precious" that the tuba and sousaphone players wear skirts (kilts) and capes, and then write things on their undergarments. There is no amount of alcohol that can cope with the sight of some of those people.
Oh, my! I do agree! That is just "precious." As my momma taught me, there is NO excuse for leaving the house in dirty underpants. Just imagine if you got into an accident!

Silver
Old 05-21-2004, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI: bama has cross country; we also have rowing and men's lacrosse, they just aren't recognized by the athletic dept. and the SEC! and we also have a water skiing team!!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
I love that book Why Princess Margret Will Never be a Kappa Kappa Gamma.

I also like GRITS Guide to Life and What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should)
Old 05-22-2004, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
okay i havent read this whole thread but i just want to post my imput...

i was born and raised and currently live in mississippi...i wouldnt trade it for the WORLD...

the south is a world of its own...once you leave the south...you know it...you hit that state line and its like SHABAM

when people think of the south they think of rednecks and beer guzzling people with arms growing out of their heads but the south is so much more to me...its a way of life...the south IS sophistication like all the formal dinner parties in new orleans or dances on riverboats.

and i especially love southern sports because we have so much competition. SEC is the greatest...the final 4 is SUCH a huge deal. my brother got tickets this year and he paid like $560 for one ticket. its huge.

but most of all...i cannot wait to rush in the south. its going to be way too much fun. i hope i never leave.

oh btw i read southern belle premier and that was the GREATEST book ever. another great southern book was the divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood...even though it wasnt about a sorority it was a great book because it had so much southern drawl...i LOVE my southern drawl.

have a great day.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
oh um...

EAT MOR GRITS (Girls Raised In The South)

i have to tell yall what else i like about the south...the tailgate parties, the big trucks, and...

THE EGG BOWL!!!!!!!! YALL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4RunnerStar
THE EGG BOWL!!!!!!!! YALL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!
You know, I didn't know what that was until I stayed the weekend at the Mississippi State DG house... Now I know what it is
Old 05-22-2004, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIsilver
lovely AOII sisters

Isn't that redundant? We all know that every AOII is lovely.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Quote:
Originally posted by hottytoddy
I love that book Why Princess Margret Will Never be a Kappa Kappa Gamma.
There's also a sequel: New Times in the Old South: Or, Why Scarlett's in Therapy and Tara's Going Condo Such a funny book! It looks at the New South and how people everywhere are breaking "The Rules." It's even funnier than the first one, in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

A gem from Maryln Schwartz's "A Southern Belle Primer - Or why Princess Margaret will never be a Kappa Kappa Gamma".

Never date your sorority sister's ex-husband until at least three years after the divorce. You might need her to write your daughter a Kappa Kappa Gamma recommendation one day. Just remember it's a lot easier to find a new man than it is to get your daughter into Kappa.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
There are sooo many cute quotes in those books. I like the one that says "We never get obnoxiously drunk. Even if we have enough bourbon in us to float a Mississippi Riverboat."

BTW 4RunnerStar--Did you end up at Ole Miss as planned? I haven't chatted with you in a while.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

If you liked A Southern Belle Primer, you must read Florence King's Southern Ladies and Gentlemen and Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady.

They are both PRICELESS!!!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thetalady
If you liked A Southern Belle Primer, you must read Florence King's Southern Ladies and Gentlemen and Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady.

They are both PRICELESS!!!
Co-sign.

A short excerpt from "Southern Ladies and Gentlemen".

Chapter One - "Build a Fence Around the South and You'd Have One Big Madhouse" or: The Tip of the Iceberg

"I have good reason to know that the only way to understand Southerners fully is to be one. When I was in graduate school at the University of Mississippi, I found myself party to a drunken kidnapping and ended up in a rowboat in the middle of a lake at 2:00 a.m. with an hysterical Southern belle who kept hissing: 'Kill him, Wake, kill him!'

Suddenly I wondered: How did I get into this? What am I doing here? How was it possible that a sane young woman like myself could merge so effortless into a situation that bizarre?

The answer came to me just as suddenly. I was not sane, I was a Southerner. It is interesting to speculate on the moment when a child first realizes that he or she is a Southerner. No one ever actually tells him he is one, but something always occurs at a very tender age that helps fix it in his mind. The moment of truth tends to arrive in a burst of comprehension, following an incident in which an important truth suddenly becomes perfectly clear despite the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever. Once a child successfully negotiates this psychological legerdemain and snatches chaos from the jaws of logic, he wins his crossed cavalry sabers."

Last edited by TSteven; 05-22-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

The South is sophisticated?

-Rudey
Old 05-22-2004, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahhhhhh...Sardis Lake.

OK this is a long story but a FUNNY one.

One of my friends had this old 1971 Horizon(car) and they had like really "fixed" it up. Anyhow it was camoflauge with a racing stripe, it had 1 shiny rim and a bunch of bumber stickers. He found an old Tri-Delt license tag and tied it to the front. It played music like an ICE CREAM TRUCK & had one of those police loud speakers that you could talk on. On the inside it had a confederate flag covering the ceiling that had been stuck up there with one of those corn on the cob holders. They called the car The HO! Anyhow we decided one night to pile like 10 people in it one night and go to Sardis after the bar at about 2AM. Well anyone who has ever been to sardis knows that you almost HAVE to have a truck to get out there. I don't know how this car made it. Because the guy driving never slowed down on those dirt roads that have potholes the size of the car itself. Anyhow we got the car stuck and it had a gas leak because we appearantly hit one of those bumps a bit too hard. We had the video camera out there too!! That's some funny footage. We finally had to call someone at like 5am and tell them that we were out at Sardis & Micheal broke his leg and needed to go to the hospital or we knew they wouldn't come get us. My friend Chad lost his pants (why he took them off I don't know) and never found them. "The Ho" never recovered.