GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 704
1 members and 703 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI......
Edgewater basically is nothing more that a group for Fraternity and Sorority Executives / Staff. It amounts to basically the same groups that are in FEA. So, basically, if your GLO is national, you're probably in it.

They meet once a year and discuss educational programming, risk mangement issues, and just general Greek world issues.

So, nothing that mysterious.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
I think I better go get a mop!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile

Unless... we've found the Illuminati of the NPC!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Edgewater is an existing and active group of older fraternities and sororities. Several of the leaders of their respective national / international organizations meet -- irregularly or regularly, I don't know -- to discuss issues of interest to them. My fraternity not being one of the group, I was not invited to the meetings, but was told by the leaders of several of the involved organizations (and the head of the NIC) that the organization exists and meets. The group was reportedly active in efforts to try to limit the negative effects of alcohol in the Greek world in the past. I cannot say (because I don't know, not because I'm pledged to secrecy) anything about their activities.

I am not sure that the characterization of "elite," as in "better" is apt. "Elite" as in "we're trying to lead" or "aristocratic" may be a more appropriate description of the organization. The members that _I_ knew were not posers, nor were they poorly intentioned. They are, however, often strong teetotalers who believe in their ability to impose that will on others.

Last edited by NonSecret; 09-26-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: none
Old 09-27-2008, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Aww not a record. Only two and a half years.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got a book about sororities that mentions Edgewater and names names, and no, they're not necessarily the oldest Greek organizations or any sort of "elite." The Edgewater Conference was started in the early '50s to discuss racial desegregation and to lobby for fraternities and sororities to maintain their membership selection practices, and there were 19 groups at the first meeting.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I presume the book is "Women of Discriminating Taste: White Sororities and the Making of American Ladyhood" by Margaret L. Freeman, published in December of 2020.

The Edgewater Conference according to the book appeared to be a group devoted to resisting efforts to force Fraternities and Sororities to remove Racial/Religious/Creed limitations.

Information on the book and preview available at https://www.google.com/books/edition...J?hl=en&gbpv=0
Old 08-06-2021, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Funny thing is that there were other groups in existence in 1909. Not sure exactly of the history, but at that time were they still having a disregard for teacher's colleges?

That's what took KD so long to join the NPC, despite being founded before 1900. We had chapters at teachers colleges. Eventually the two of those chapters that were left voted to relinquish their charters so that KD could join the NPC.
That’s heartbreaking!
Old 08-06-2021, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
I just got a book about sororities that mentions Edgewater and names names, and no, they're not necessarily the oldest Greek organizations or any sort of "elite." The Edgewater Conference was started in the early '50s to discuss racial desegregation and to lobby for fraternities and sororities to maintain their membership selection practices, and there were 19 groups at the first meeting.
Even more heartbreaking.