GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,860
3 members and 1,857 guests
speedsters
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Moderator

Is there any way that Fred Hatchett can be stopped from posting on this site? Is that something that members can request, or is it something that has to be done through you?

------------------
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not, nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not, unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press OIn" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Old 01-22-2000, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I agree with Greg. True, everyone has the rite to speak their mind, but his negative presence is something that definitely doesn't belong here!

Allison

------------------
Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again. To hold someone, not for a moment but forever.

Old 01-23-2000, 01:43 AM
Banned

Smile

Greg,

You sound very secular humanistic.

If a person's mind is convicted, what can I do to change it? If what I am saying is so ignorant, stupid, or negative, what are you and others worried about. If you remove me, it would only be fair to remove those who use profanity, and those who have responded negatively towards me. Am I really a threat to the greeks? If not, leave me be. Let me be the fool you think I am.
Old 01-23-2000, 04:06 AM
Administrator

The decision to ban any individual from posting in these forums is ultimately made by an administrator (currently I am the only one). Member opinions are VERY important and are taken seriously. Any action taken in this matter or others in the future will be a good part based on the opinions of members.

One of the interesting things that I see happening in this situation is that just about all of the messages posted by Fred seem to backfire on him and show greeks in a positive light (the positive coming from the many intelligent messages that are posted in reply). I'm thinking that if an individual who is interested in possibly joining a GLO visits greekchat.com for information - they will learn a lot, including how being a greek does not interfere with religious beliefs and in many cases actually strengthens devotion (a topic that I believe was started or commented on by Fred).

I can definitely see how all the members of this discussion system will soon tire of responding to Fred's redundant attempts to insult greeks & etc. I will also tire of keeping an eye on all of Fred's posts as to delete the ones that are inappropriate.

Before any definite decision is made on whether or not to ban Fred from participating in discussions at greekchat.com I would like to hear other member's opinions about this matter. Please post your take on this situation by replying to this message thread.

------------------
John Hammell
Network Administrator, GreekChat.com
Old 01-23-2000, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Fred,

Just over a week ago I requested through email that you tone down your messages as many of them are inappropriate for these forums. I've seen a little change, but not enough as you probably noticed that several of your messages over the past week have been deleted. If you forgot to read the rules (that you agreed to abide by) when you registered to be a member of greekchat.com, please do so now at http://www.greekchat.com/rules.htm

Regarding your comment about Greg being "secular humanistic" - if you've read any of Greg's posts regarding religion you would know that this is abolutely not the case. Comments like this one are some of the reasons that you may be banned from posting at greekchat.com

------------------
John Hammell

[This message has been edited by John Hammell (edited January 23, 2000).]
Old 01-23-2000, 05:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
John
I would just like to say that Fred has been personally harassing me and I do not appreciate it. Somehow he found out my email and sent me a very nasty message basically saying that I will rot in hell because of my religious beliefs. I feel so violated, as I am strong in my religious beliefs. This is not a religious site, and I should not have to feel liket this. I do not appreciate this, as I never asked him to email me and condem me. I have politely asked him to leave me alone and he went against my wishes. If anything, please ban him because of the awful things that he has sent to me. If you would like more info on the awful things that he said, please leave another post and I will reply back to you.
Old 01-23-2000, 10:01 AM
Artimis

John,

Many of his posts seem inapproriate for discussions of Greek Life. They center around bible quotes and claims that all brothers and sisters in GLO's need to repend from thier "wicked" ways, with the occasional tangent to some religious based belief, that has nothing to do with the Greek Community. Obstiant blanket statments and personal attacks to the members of this posting community may have the downside of users not registering or being scared away.

Members of the greekchat community should be willing to have open discussions about why they like or dislike the greek community. Providing examples about GLO's to support ideas is a wonderful concept.

The past few weeks a majority of the posts seem to be those refuting the blinded posts of a member hell-bent on condeming without listening to other memebers. His claims that he now has "new material" for his book based on discussions here is disheartining.

Artimis
Old 01-23-2000, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

John

I will have to agree with everyone. This is not a religious site and unless the religion has to do with a certain GLO, then I agree it doesn't really belong here. True I have replied to these posts and I have even made a few myself, but this is because I am a religious person. I can understand how someone who is not religious could feel uncomfortable when reading these topics.

I came to this web site to share and receive information on GLOs. I have been able to do this a great deal, but lately, religion has been overshadowing all Greek topics. I think if religion wants to be discussed then there should be a religious section.

I will continue to correct those who miscontrue my opnions or beliefs, but I would never force them on anyone and I hope no one would force theirs on me. Unfortunately, Fred does not seem to agree with me on this.

Barbara, I don't know what was said to you, but Fred claims to be a religious person. He is always making comments on Jesus Christ, but Jesus was Jewish so I don't understand why he would make that comment to you. I can definitely understand how you would be offended by that.

Allison

------------------
Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again. To hold someone, not for a moment but forever.

Old 01-23-2000, 04:26 PM
Administrator

The consensus of member opinions here seems to be that Fred Hatchett should no longer be allowed to post messages due to their offensive nature.

Fred, your greekchat.com account has been deactivated. Please refrain from attempting to gain further access to greekchat.com - any further abuses of our network will result in complaints being sent to your ISP.

All greekchat.com members who receive any type of offensive emails from Fred Hatchett are encouraged to email a complaint to his ISP and email provider as this is likely in violation of their acceptable use policy. Complaints can be emailed to abuse@aol.net , Compuserve (Fred's ISP) is one of their divisions. Be sure to include a copy of the offensive email including the full message header so that AOL staff can take appropriate action.

------------------
John Hammell
Old 01-24-2000, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
John -

I have already written to you regarding this matter, so you know my feelings on the subject.

This individual has written me as well, claiming that every Jew he speaks to has converted to Christianity. As a active member of the Conservative Jewish movement, I find this statement hard to believe and offensive.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 01-24-2000, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I also have been e-mailed. I find fred to be offensive and closed minded. I asked him not to repeat his e-mails, but he continued to do so. Thank you for the info about aol. I will most definately write a message.

------------------
"Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, than it's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life. Love shouldn't be one of them."

--From "Dream for an Insomniac"
Old 01-24-2000, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, John, for your prompt response in this matter.

To everyone else who posted, thank you for stating your opinion in this matter. I also have recieved e-mails from Fred. His emails to me were not ones of personal offense, but Iw as offended by the way he uses Christianty against everyone. This was my main reason for this topic start--although this is a GLO site, I do not want anyone on this site who is thinking about becoming a christian to get a bad impression by what Fred was posting.

Again, thank you everyone for their responses.

Greg Killeen

------------------
Nothing in the orld can take the place of persistence. Talent will not, nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not, unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press OIn" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Old 01-24-2000, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you John for taking into consideration the feelings of this greek community and giving Fred his walking papers.
Old 01-24-2000, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I can't say it enough....Thank you!!!!
Old 01-25-2000, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

At this time I am preparing a list of e-mails that fred has sent to me. I again asked him not to e-mail me last night. The response i recieved?

My e-mail:

"Stop e-mailing me please.

Thank you."

His response:

"I already did by mistake. I apologize."

What is that supposed to mean other than being a sarcastic jacka@%? To me that means that I will probably recieve more e-mails that are inapropriete(sp). That was the second time that I asked not to be contacted. If anyone else is being harrassed in the same manner. I srongly urge to you take John's advise and contact AOL. Trying to reach out to others and help lead them to christ is a noble cause. I don't believe that fred is doing this. In my opinion, sometimes evil people hide behind religion. History has proved that. Hitler used to quote passages from the Bible that he believed supported his cause. HMMMMM. He knew the Bible cover to cover. Does that make him rightous? I believe not. Hitler pursecuted many jews, What is fred doing? To stop fred, people must contact AOL to let them know what he is doing. They will review the e-mails and decide for themselves what action needs to be taken. I can change my e-mail address, but that won't stop him from harrassing other people. I might seem a little harsh. But I was very offended by his words. I have a hard time dealing with people who attack my religion and my beliefs. I also have a hard time with people who attack other religions. As someone at this site stated, "we are all children of god." Let God decided who is evil and who is good. Not us. Not Fred.

------------------
"Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, than it's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life. Love shouldn't be one of them."

--From "Dream for an Insomniac"
Closed Thread