GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,537
3 members and 2,534 guests
John, LaneSig, navane

Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment numbers down active numbers down wtf is our problem

were a small school were down to 10 active brothers this chapter used to have 40 we should be at 16. But 6 pledges quit i think the had it to easy. One bad pleadge ruined the whole class. Is it economy or what are we doing wrong it seems like everyone but me has given up any new rush tactics to get ones who didnt rush this fall would be great thanks. Dosent understand why we dont get good numbers like the older guys did i.e. 1974-1999
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 AM

If it's a small public school, and housing for Greeks isn't appreciably better than that for independents, then yes, I'm betting part of the problem is the economy.

However, 6 pledges quitting is a HUGE problem. I don't know if it was bad blood, hazing, or what, but fix whatever the problem was before you take on any new pledges.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp684 View Post
were a small school were down to 10 active brothers this chapter used to have 40 we should be at 16. But 6 pledges quit i think the had it to easy. One bad pleadge ruined the whole class. Is it economy or what are we doing wrong it seems like everyone but me has given up any new rush tactics to get ones who didnt rush this fall would be great thanks. Dosent understand why we dont get good numbers like the older guys did i.e. 1974-1999
So.. basically, you have 10 members, you used to have 40, and one person ruined a pledge class. I would love to provide you with a response, but I'll need a little more information and/or a more concrete question.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

no bad blood no hazing its just the week before there intiation weekend they all just dropped off like flies and yes we lost our house in 04 but were workin on getting a central location but hell we were doin damn good but now nationals are breathing down our necks cause of the numbers i just dont think they understand how hard it is at a small school hell our chapter advisor was a mr pi kapp highest award u can get but idk only time will tell
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
no bad blood no hazing its just the week before there intiation weekend they all just dropped off like flies and yes we lost our house in 04 but were workin on getting a central location but hell we were doin damn good but now nationals are breathing down our necks cause of the numbers i just dont think they understand how hard it is at a small school hell our chapter advisor was a mr pi kapp highest award u can get but idk only time will tell

First, let me start by saying that if you wrote in complete sentences and used punctuation, it would be easier to read your posts.

Second, did you ask the six pledges why they left?

Lastly, your inter/nationals don't want to hear "how hard it is" for you. They want to see you succeed, but you guys have to do the work. Have you spoken to your chapter advisor? What have you tried to either get the guys back? What is your rush like? Dues? events? "Informal" hazing?

There are lots of resources out there for you - and I don't mean coming to GC to "solve" your overall problem, which is numbers. Figure out the problem, then work on a solution. If one thing doesn't work, try something else.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

your small school has nothing to do with your numbers problem. i know of large chapters of fraternities and sororities at small schools, school that have between 2000 and 5000 students.

do you know what caused your chapter to go from 40 members to 10? does your chapter have a reputation?

did anyone ask the pledges why they quit? trust me, one pledge could not get all the other pledges to quit if those pledges really wanted to be a part of your chapter.

has your chapter ever requested any assistance from your national office? maybe they could send a consultant who could observe you all , define some problem areas and help you all come up with some solutions.

i agree with ree-xi about the run-on sentences. they are very hard to read.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 11-19-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta is right about your pledges dropping. This is not a problem with one, or any of the pledges, but rather a problem in your chapter that you need to assess.

I know that it can be nerve racking dealing with headquarters giving you numbers requirements that seem to come out of the clear blue sky. However, your national office is there to help you and they want you to succeed. You need to be open with them about your problems and ask for as much assistance as they can give you.

ETA: I thought of some more things.

Reach out to your alumni, your chapter must have a strong alumni base from the past so try to enlist their help. One awesome adviser is good, but he has a real life, job, family, and other concerns, so broadening your support system will be very beneficial to you.

I can only guess here, but I would imagine that your programming, social and otherwise, is lacking. Is your chapter hosting mixers, philanthropy, brotherhood, and community service events? One reason you may lose people is that they see no actual benefit to fraternity membership. A full calendar of events is a big recruitment draw, and they don't have to be number dependent things. For example, you could have a small brotherhood event one night every week (play poker, go to a movie, go eat dinner together). This gives you built in programming and allows you to invite potential members when recruiting them informally (look at some other threads for advice about dynamic recruitment and PhiredUp). Again, I'm only assuming here, but with your numbers I wouldn't be surprised if this were an issue.

Last edited by Gusteau; 11-19-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
First, let me start by saying that if you wrote in complete sentences and used punctuation, it would be easier to read your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i agree with ree-xi about the run-on sentences. they are very hard to read.
To be really honest, my first thought was that the pledges quit because they decided that being part of the chapter would hurt them academically.

But I agree with the suggestions already made.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
To be really honest, my first thought was that the pledges quit because they decided that being part of the chapter would hurt them academically.
<Like>

Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll take bad grammar for $100