GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,338
3 members and 1,335 guests
John, MethrenLusia

Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
For whoever was asking about the length of the 21 parties .. here's the link to the IU recruitment schedule. The length of the 21 parties was 30 minutes.

http://www.iubpharecruitment.com/recruitment/

and for the interested here is a link to the statistics for formal recruitment from 2010 and 2011
http://www.iubpharecruitment.com/rec...nt/statistics/

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 12-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

It was meant to be a joke, since there are so many parties, but thanks for the update!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be unprecedented, but moving to 3 days of round 1 wouldn't be an unrealistic thing to do. Or, since it's during school, Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. 4 parties Friday night and 9/8 on Saturday and Sunday seems a bit more civil. But we know how enthusiastic IU is about change
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
and I may be missing something .. but I'm only counting 20 party times listed under the 21 party heading.

Long Long days in any case.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
It would be unprecedented, but moving to 3 days of round 1 wouldn't be an unrealistic thing to do. Or, since it's during school, Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. 4 parties Friday night and 9/8 on Saturday and Sunday seems a bit more civil. But we know how enthusiastic IU is about change
It used to be three days long in the early 90s when there were 21 chapters. We had 4 or 5 parties on Friday evening, Saturday was the long day 10-12 events and then Sunday was another short day.

I don't believe chapters have to turn in the invitation list until they see the grade releases, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
A general question to those familiar with IU NPC recruitment. When do the chapters turn in their invite lists?
The chapters generate an invite list immediately after the party, but it's not finalized until grade drops happen in January. The 'official' list is due right before 14 Party, I believe.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

For the first time EVER I actually know what school the PNM is talking about!

With that being said....DISCRETION IS KEY!!!!!!!

I would do as others have suggested take notes and post AFTER recruitment is over.

Good luck with recruitment.

[mini-hijack] to those who went to IU or know IU how successful has bed recruitment been? Having gone to a school that has an established quota and total, bed recruitment is different to me. How many PNM's end up going bidless because of the system? Has there been thoughts to changing the system? [/end mini-hijack]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by ASUADPi; 12-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I'm interested to read this story.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
The chapters generate an invite list immediately after the party, but it's not finalized until grade drops happen in January. The 'official' list is due right before 14 Party, I believe.
Grades will be to chapters on Dec 31st, invite list is due by noon on January 1st. It must be a physical, paper list that is turned in. Which means lots of women will be driving to Bloomington nice and early on the 1st.

I don't know how every chapter does it, but there is not enough time to do MS between when grades come out and the list has to be turned back in to move too much around. I would assume that everyone put together the rough invite list and then will just pull the grade drops from the list- rather than making the list after the grade drops are in.

Also, 1687 women started the day at 10am on Saturday. There were women that signed up and then dropped out before recruitment even started. There were also women that dropped out during Saturday and Sunday. But the number we had to start with on Saturday morning was 1687.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God

Last edited by ForeverRoses; 12-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I don't know how every chapter does it, but there is not enough time to do MS between when grades come out and the list has to be turned back in to move too much around. I would assume that everyone put together the rough invite list and then will just pull the grade drops from the list- rather than making the list after the grade drops are in.
We once waited until right before the list was due, although it was miserable. We were already swamped with things to do and to have to do MS was awful. The next year it was done before break and we finalized after grade drops...much less cattiness there
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
[mini-hijack] to those who went to IU or know IU how successful has bed recruitment been? Having gone to a school that has an established quota and total, bed recruitment is different to me. How many PNM's end up going bidless because of the system? Has there been thoughts to changing the system? [/end mini-hijack]
Search IU or Indiana on here and there are several threads about this
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Also, 1687 women started the day at 10am on Saturday. There were women that signed up and then dropped out before recruitment even started. There were also women that dropped out during Saturday and Sunday. But the number we had to start with on Saturday morning was 1687.
Do you think women dropped out because they felt Greek life wasn't for them or that 21 parties in two days is totally overwhelming? I heard from one of the girls I know going through and she was so totally exhausted on Sunday, she just ranked in a hurry to get out of there and didn't really put a lot of thought into it.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I looked at those stats from the link above and the number of women that go unmatched after preference. Seems like a lot? Can a very large school like IU use another group? Anyway, good luck and study hard on those final exams!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
I looked at those stats from the link above and the number of women that go unmatched after preference. Seems like a lot? Can a very large school like IU use another group? Anyway, good luck and study hard on those final exams!
There are multiple solutions which could alleviate the excessive number of unmatched bids each year.

1.) Move from bed quota to regular quota and set a chapter total. IU does not have chapter total set by Panhel. I believe that chapter sizes range from 160ish to 110 and that is the chapters' choice.
2.) Allowing seniors to live out would mean 20-40 women could be added to each chapter.
3.) Move recruitment to August prior to school starting so many girls would not have been influenced about which chapters are the "best" chapters. Many of the women who drop out do so because they did not receive invitations from chapters they "liked". Don't get me started on this one, the chapters at IU are large enough that I think women could be happy in multiple chapters, I know I would have been.
4.) Free up the land on Jordan for sorority expansion. This would give the two chapters without structures a chance to build some type of dwelling/meeting space. Then use the land to attract the remaining NPC chapters.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Do you think women dropped out because they felt Greek life wasn't for them or that 21 parties in two days is totally overwhelming? I heard from one of the girls I know going through and she was so totally exhausted on Sunday, she just ranked in a hurry to get out of there and didn't really put a lot of thought into it.
I'm not sure this is a really bad way to go. We, as old broads, know the likelihood is she would probably be happy in ANY of the chapters, so not worrying about it is probably as good a way to go as any. Good luck to her and to the rest of them.