GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,169
1 members and 2,168 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere and I don't recall seeing this on GC....(Obviously the Alpha Phi news is old news but I wasn't aware AOII had been selected to come to campus to between 2012 and 2014!)

Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL)- AOII was recently
notified that Florida State has decided to stack after holding extension
presentations in Spring 2010 and selecting Alpha Phi. AOII was recommended to Panhellenic and voted to be the next sorority on FSU's campus no earlier than Fall 2012 and no later than Fall 2014. This will be a re-colonization of the Alpha Pi Chapter for AOII. The Alpha Pi chapter of AOII was installed on May 6, 1928.

I'm so excited about this! Granted it is a few years away! Yeah!
Woo hoo! Congrats!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Does anyone know about Panhellenic expansion at University of Louisville? I've heard rumors from folks in Louisville that three sororities are being considered. Just curious!

ETA: U of L is open for expansion for a 7th NPC chapter for a Fall 2011 Colonization. Current chapters at U of L are: Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta, Pi Beta Phi, & Sigma Kappa.
My feelers are telling me Theta, ADPi and Zeta have been selected to present in the Spring. Don't quote me.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

But still no news on Arkansas, Arizona, USC (CA), Mizzou, Ole Miss, Auburn or U Florida? I believe these are all housing issues, but they all have such big new member classes!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But still no news on Arkansas, Arizona, USC (CA), Mizzou, Ole Miss, Auburn or U Florida? I believe these are all housing issues, but they all have such big new member classes!
Have you heard anything at all on Arkansas? I haven't heard anything at all. Do we know who is even considering coming?? I am going to be so disappointed if nothing comes of this. This campus is desperate for more chapters...

ETA - Thanks LaneSig for straightening up and organizing this thread! Very helpful!

Last edited by gee_ess; 12-18-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Only one of these is even OPEN for expansion. Big classes doesn't = need a new chapter. That also doesn't mean the Greek community is ready. Several of these schools HAVE added new chapters in the past 3-5 years.

USC: not open. They added SDT in 2005ish.

University of Arizona: Not open. Added ADPi recently (couldn't tell you when, 2008?).

Mizzou: not open. Added Tri Sigma in 2007

Auburn: Not open. Added Theta in 2007 or 2008.

Ole Miss: Not open. No plans to become open as far as I know.

Arkansas: I believe they ARE open. But this is a big expansion and a big financial undertaking for any sorority. I think groups are slow to bite on it.

Florida: Not open and no plans to become open as far as I know.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Since when does Auburn have "such big new member classes?" Mid 50's or so is not big -at least not in the south.

And I understand that at AFA all the groups pretty much told Arkansas that they aren't interested - considering the situation with PH and housing. Besides, the Arkansas PH doesn't want to do expansion. The U administration is the driving force there but it appears no one is willing to step out and do it.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can speak to Arizona: there are no plans for expansion at this time.

Expansion was considered in the 2009-2010 school year. Panhellenic voted in favor of expansion. Sticking point was cost of real estate. There is land available (that's not the problem) BUT no chapter is interested in the type of financial terms the University of Arizona is offering at the present time. I'm not at liberty to discuss those terms publicly.

I don't know what the definition of "big new member classes" is. At Arizona, quota was 71 in 2009, 72 in 2010. All chapters are at or well above total, which was raised in the last year or two (AZ-Alpha Xi help me out here please).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-18-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

USC

Univ. of Southern California is not open at this time for expansion. Cost of real estate in California is very high. SDT is still becoming known on campus.

It would take millions to establish a chapter at SC. During a recession my guess is national organizations would study the housing situation very carefully before even considering expansion on this particular campus.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
I can speak to Arizona: there are no plans for expansion at this time.

Expansion was considered in the 2009-2010 school year. Panhellenic voted in favor of expansion. Sticking point was cost of real estate. There is land available (that's not the problem) BUT no chapter is interested in the type of financial terms the University of Arizona is offering at the present time. I'm not at liberty to discuss those terms publicly.

I don't know what the definition of "big new member classes" is. At Arizona, quota was 71 in 2009, 72 in 2010. All chapters are at or well above total, which was raised in the last year or two (AZ-Alpha Xi help me out here please).
yep spot on .. total was raised from 130 to 180 in the spring of 2009 .. just before Alpha Chi Omega closed. Quota was mid 60s for the 3 years prior.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as Arkansas, I got a different impression from their Fall Newsletter (http://uagreeks.uark.edu/documents/G..._Fall_2010.pdf) from the Greek Life office. Hopefully something soon!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavycutchip View Post
As far as Arkansas, I got a different impression from their Fall Newsletter (http://uagreeks.uark.edu/documents/G..._Fall_2010.pdf) from the Greek Life office. Hopefully something soon!

You'll note that it was stated that Arkansas is open for NPC expansion - the question is do any of the groups want to take on the financial challenge of colonizing.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
You'll note that it was stated that Arkansas is open for NPC expansion - the question is do any of the groups want to take on the financial challenge of colonizing.
I hope to God my sorority does not attempt to colonize there. The last time we were on a campus remotely close to that Greek Life magnitude was in the 80s...and we failed miserably there, eventually shutting down less than 3 years after colonization.

If the almost $7 million price tag is true, I'd rather see that $$$ go to the improvement of existing chapters and their houses.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Wish Alpha Gam would colonize. Seems like I hear abouf UCF about as much (okay not AS much) as FSU and UF.

I just hope that UGA beats them in the Bowl Game.
I live in Daytona Beach but I'm married to a UGA grad, so yeah, we definitely hope they beat UCF
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Ummm yeah, what the Greek life director says is definitely NOT always how the Panhellenic or students in general feel.

They can say "we're open" until the cows come home, but if (as Titchou said) the PH really does not support it, especially at those prices, any group would be insane to try it.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Ummm yeah, what the Greek life director says is definitely NOT always how the Panhellenic or students in general feel.

They can say "we're open" until the cows come home, but if (as Titchou said) the PH really does not support it, especially at those prices, any group would be insane to try it.
And even if the college Panhellenic council supports it, that doesn't mean the other greeks on campus will be welcoming and respectful. Sorry, but after what I've read about how new chapters at southern schools are treated and looked down upon during recruitment, I think any organization would be crazy to spend the money. Why spend $7 million to develop a chapter that will just be trashed in the gossip/tent talk of PNMs, actives and their mothers?