GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,342
1 members and 1,341 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 08-25-2000, 07:16 PM
SecondThoughts

Post Sorority Issues

Earlier this summer I was seriously thinking about joining a sorority. I thought it would be a great way to meet people since I'm just going to be starting college and I just commute to school. The more I found out about it, the more I wanted to join. Just last week I was 110% sure that I would absolutely love being in a sorority, But now I'm starting to have second thoughts. College life seems like a big adjustment for me. I have a lot of stuff going on too (I took 18 credit hours, I just got my first job ever, and a new boyfriend.) Not to mention the amount of time that I will be spending in class, doing homework, and studying. School starts for me on Monday and we have to register for rush the first week of school so I have to make up my mind fast. There are so many positive sides to being in a sorority, but there is the issue of the time-commitment that it takes to be in one. I was thinking waiting until spring to rush, but I know that sororities will probably expect the freshman to be more involved on campus by then. However, I was planning on waiting to get involved to make sure that I could handle my classes. I would totally regret it if i decided to wait and didn't get a bid because I wasn't involved enough on campus. I know it gets harder to join the longer you wait. Can someone please give me some advice. I just don't want to join and then find out I made the wrong decision because that would be unfair to me and the sorority. Thanks...and sorry this post is so long.
Old 08-25-2000, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey
Well here's my advice. First, you're taking quite a heavy load w/ 18 cr. At my school, that's the max you can register for and is considered heavy (it might not be at your school--I dont know). Second, you are just starting school so you really don't know what college level classes are like at this point. Third, I'm not sure how the sororities operate at your school, but w/ my own sorority, we look for women to have been involved in community service. So based on your involvement and if the sororities look for this, you may need to wait to rush anyway. I think w/ most sororities, being involved in community service could certainly improve your chances on getting selected by the org. of your choice. Fourth, you'll be working.

If you go through Rush, get a bid, and decide to go for it, I will say that going through the membership process will involve a certain amount of time. You will be required to do things w/ the rest of you pledge class that involves learning the history and traditions of the sorority and bonding with the active members and w/ members of your pledge class. The amount of time this takes varies from sorority to sorority. When I went through the membership process, it took a pretty good chunk of time. But that's my sorority. Then once you get in, you'll have to attend meetings and other sorority functions. Depending on the sorority, some of these functions may be mandatory and if you don't go, you may be fined in some circumstances. But this isn't every sorority or every situation.

I say, go through Rush and find which house at least interests you. Rush is just a time where you find out about the houses on your campus and a chance to meet people. I believe you are free to drop at any time. That way, if you do decide to drop, at least you'll have an idea of what houses you like, you'll have met some people on campus (hey you might even meet a future friend!) and it'll help cut down on the decisions when you do decide to go and seek membership w/ a particular org. And although a lot of sororities seek freshmen, I think many will offer bids to sophomores as well. You may want to even ask the members about this if you go to Rush. And like you said, you could go through spring rush as well.
Sorry this was long, but I hope this helps.

And please, if I'm wrong about the dropping out of Rush at any time, someone correct me w/ that. My sorority does Rush different than NPC organizations, so I'm not too sure about it.

Good luck w/ your decision

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 25, 2000).]
Old 08-25-2000, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Secondthoughts,

As the moderator put said, 18 credits is alot for a first semester. I don't care where you are, for a first semester freshman, that is too much. I suggest sticking to the 12-15 credit limit. Remember, you are at a new place. You will be experiencing new things in your life. Adjustment will have a profound affect on you. You have 4 years in school if you want to pledge you want to make sure your grades are on point. There is no law saying that you have to join NOW. Look at all of the sororities on your campus first. You want to make an informed decision right?

Having a b-friend and starting college is also tough. You will be meeting new people. If are going to be away from your b-friend you have to deal with a long-distance relationship which can be problematic. Girl I say take things slow, there is no time limit. Enjoy your experience, it only happens once. Good Luck
Old 08-25-2000, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I would personally suggest waiting until the spring. Here's why:

Like you said earlier, you've got a lot of things going on with school and credits, getting to know others as well as the campus. sorority life is a HUGE time commitment and although you'll be spending a majority of your time with your pledge sisters, school is of the utmost importance *even WITH study hours*. you're going to have to get adjusted to a whole new campus and a whole new lifestyle. joining a sorority may not be what you want or need to add on to your already pretty full plate. come springtime, when you've interacted with some sisters and gotten a good grasp of time management, i say go for it. besides, i feel that sisters of ANY organization would really respect you if you told them you were interested this semester, but wanted to focus on schoolwork first. that shows perseverence, patience and a good sense of what you need. i hope you do well this semester and good luck with any and every decision you make!

etienne
sigma alpha iota

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos