GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 782
0 members and 782 guests
No Members online

Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter doesnt haze but I can certainly understand that there are benefits to it.
Certain things like scavenger hunts and team exercises bond the pledge class.
The bad stuff tests dedication.
As long as it doesn't get out of control (which it does a lot) then I can understand it.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
My chapter doesnt haze but I can certainly understand that there are benefits to it.
Certain things like scavenger hunts and team exercises bond the pledge class.
The bad stuff tests dedication.
As long as it doesn't get out of control (which it does a lot) then I can understand it.

You are correct in the point if it doesn't get out of hand and many times it does.

It is past history why so many things ate on the hazing list and a no no!

Most will think of paddleing, drinking of liquor or even water, physical exercise, dumping liquids or food on people.

It seems to have been done before, and that is why it is banned by GLOs, Colleges, and States and against the Law in many States and more to come.

Plain and simple.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
. . .and the sign coming from Murray now says "First Chance". TSteven - Girls Gone Wild night is Dec.7 at the Spider Web in Puryear - mark your calendar now!
Dang. I've got plans for that night.

I wonder how "wild" is wild? Word gets around quickly in that area. Heck, I often hear about "things" and I'm not even in the area. And the Good Lord knows I can't always be trusted to keep a good rumor to myself.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Any good chapter hazes, safely, and gets away with it
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FrattyVegas
HAZE = Happily Advancing Zealous Education.
I don't think you will find a fraternity in the world, whether they admit it or not, that follows guidelines outlining the strict literal definition of hazing. Hell even having pledges wear Pledge Pins can be construed as hazing. In point of fact, when you want 20 strangers to bond closely in a short period of time its almost imperative to place them under undue stress. Only then will you see leaders emerge and those pledges/new members will build stronger bonds with each other. It may be an antiquated thought but certain forms of hazing do in fact build character. There is also stupid, pointless, and utterly degrading or even dangerous forms of hazing that are totally detrimental to the process of building new brothers or sisters.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebows jorts View Post
Any good chapter hazes, safely, and gets away with it
As a new member and first time poster, you really should read the rest of the threads in RM before posting again.

Kind of hard and difficult to be a good chapter and haze these days; for any number of reasons.

All of which have been covered many times in many thread here.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

I can't think of a half-way decent chapter here (at Texas) that doesn't haze.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsandtoes View Post
I can't think of a half-way decent chapter here (at Texas) that doesn't haze.
As we have discovered in countless threads:
There does not seem to be, anywhere, a consensus of what hazing is.
So one has to follow their own moral compass, as well as the rules, regulations, policies of their school, group, as well as area municipalities.

And we have seen what happens when one gets caught.
Is it worth it??
Is losing a life worth it?
Your house?

And being that this is only your third posting in GC and all are in RM, perhaps you need to take time to read where you are posting.

Last edited by jon1856; 12-11-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

I've read most of the big threads on the first page and it seems there are two parties, one that sees the benefits of hazing and one that sees it as the end of the world.

Our school administration has been adamantly anti-hazing but the big chapters still do it because they know how crucial it is to a chapter's continued survival and success.

And by hazing, I mean a combination of putting someone in a physical/mental stressful situation (ie. lineups), and forcing pledges to adhere to a set of standards (a dress code, working on builds, cleaning the house/apartments, giving rides, etc.)
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've read most of the big threads on the first page and it seems there are two parties, one that sees the benefits of hazing and one that sees it as the end of the world.

Our school administration has been adamantly anti-hazing but the big chapters still do it because they know how crucial it is to a chapter's continued survival and success.

And by hazing, I mean a combination of putting someone in a physical/mental stressful situation (ie. lineups), and forcing pledges to adhere to a set of standards (a dress code, working on builds, cleaning the house/apartments, giving rides, etc.)
Third point of view: There's a lot of stuff marked now as "hazing" that really shouldn't be, but it is because certain individuals or chapters have taken it to the extreme and people have gotten hurt and/or killed. Because of that the rules have changed, AND we should follow the rules and values of our national organizations.

I also don't think hazing is necessary or crucial and there are other ways to build bonds between members. Even if the hazing rules limit some of the beneficial things that chapters can do, there are plenty of other things that can be done.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Third point of view: There's a lot of stuff marked now as "hazing" that really shouldn't be, but it is because certain individuals or chapters have taken it to the extreme and people have gotten hurt and/or killed. Because of that the rules have changed, AND we should follow the rules and values of our national organizations.

I also don't think hazing is necessary or crucial and there are other ways to build bonds between members. Even if the hazing rules limit some of the beneficial things that chapters can do, there are plenty of other things that can be done.
Very well written and said.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Just have to wonder now how your definitions as well as what you report as "on going" activities at UT match up with any of the following laws, regulations and results in TX:
http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/eve...Memorandum.pdf
http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle...n-Summer05.pdf
http://www.stophazing.org/laws/tx_law.htm

Last edited by jon1856; 03-05-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattyVegas View Post
HAZE = Happily Advancing Zealous Education.
In point of fact, when you want 20 strangers to bond closely in a short period of time its almost imperative to place them under undue stress. Only then will you see leaders emerge and those pledges/new members will build stronger bonds with each other.
Seriously? I guess the CU chapter of Delta Chi should be commended for this, then:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/20/fraternity-pledges-arrested-for-damage/

http://http://www.thesmokinggun.com/...9081frat1.html

And that was only 10 pledges - imagine the "bonding" that could have occured with 20?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

So am I supposed to sit around in a circle with a bunch of guys I dont know and play name games?

Or we supposed to go through extreme hardships together and learn to work as a team to make it through to the end.

You have to earn your way, just like you have to earn your way onto a football team, basketball team, etc.
I wonder how good the teams would be if you just let anyone on it? No, you have to cut the guys that cant do the pushups, running, hitting, etc.
Same with fraternities

Im always up for getting down
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Rowdiez View Post
So am I supposed to sit around in a circle with a bunch of guys I dont know and play name games?

Or we supposed to go through extreme hardships together and learn to work as a team to make it through to the end.

You have to earn your way, just like you have to earn your way onto a football team, basketball team, etc.
I wonder how good the teams would be if you just let anyone on it? No, you have to cut the guys that cant do the pushups, running, hitting, etc.
Same with fraternities
Cmon man, no specifics on a public forum. We know that everything is voluntary but still. None of our chapters ever haze, you know that.