GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,313
3 members and 2,310 guests
Kevin, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
omg, if she was poor and white, they would say the same thing as a poor black women for having 16... if a black rich women had 16 kids, they would treat her the same as this women...

there is totally no race card here
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Re: "farming"

I'm one of five children, and I help care for my littlest brothers (when I'm in town - I of course babysat more when I was in high school and junior high). What's wrong with asking the older kids to help?

Obviously, they shouldn't expect the older children to act as "parents" (and if they are the "caring, involved, even doting" parents that another poster said, this shouldn't be the case), but there's nothing wrong with the older children helping - it would be bad if they didn't.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

it teaches responsibility, as long as the parents have some way of allowing the kids to have some sort of lone, free time, its cool by me that they make them help out
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a.e.B.O.T.
omg, if she was poor and white, they would say the same thing as a poor black women for having 16... if a black rich women had 16 kids, they would treat her the same as this women...

there is totally no race card here
Beeyotch please. These people aren't rich (or weren't, until they started pimping out their family to cable TV stations). The mother doesn't work because God says women aren't supposed to work, and they put all the kids in ONE dorm-style bedroom.

I would be surprised if they weren't getting some kind of government aid.

ETA: Here is the FAQ section on their website, y'all:

http://www.jimbob.info/faq.html

Here's a choice quote: We desire for our children to be responsible so we are training them to ‘replace’ us. You could say we are working ourselves out of a job!

The older kids do not "help out." They are in charge of teaching the younger kids, making lunch and dinner (girls only, of course), etc.

I'm sorry if I think it's weird that you would allow a 14-year-old to be in charge of a 6-year-old's education.

Make sure you don't miss the section on "blanket training!"

Last edited by sugar and spice; 10-14-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

there's another special coming....
and the mom says she wants more kids.
how scary.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
My grandmother on my dad's side was the youngest of 11, all born in the old country...big families were common there.

I only have one sister and that was enough for me. (Many times more than enough! ) I couldn't imagine 14 more!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Beeyotch please. These people aren't rich (or weren't, until they started pimping out their family to cable TV stations). The mother doesn't work because God says women aren't supposed to work, and they put all the kids in ONE dorm-style bedroom.

I would be surprised if they weren't getting some kind of government aid.

ETA: Here is the FAQ section on their website, y'all:

http://www.jimbob.info/faq.html

Here's a choice quote: We desire for our children to be responsible so we are training them to ‘replace’ us. You could say we are working ourselves out of a job!

The older kids do not "help out." They are in charge of teaching the younger kids, making lunch and dinner (girls only, of course), etc.

I'm sorry if I think it's weird that you would allow a 14-year-old to be in charge of a 6-year-old's education.

Make sure you don't miss the section on "blanket training!"

thats VERY VERY VERY common in families... like mine of 2 people and all my friend's families...

and your just digging on the race card... there is not race card here, so just drop it

... and they are rich sort of, hes a state representative and has ran for senator a couple times

Last edited by a.e.B.O.T.; 10-14-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a.e.B.O.T.
thats VERY VERY VERY common in families... like mine of 2 people and all my friend's families...

What is very common? Having 8 kids in one bedroom? Having the 14-year-old be in charge of teaching the 6-year-old everything he knows? Having the eldest daughter prepare a meal for 18 people every single night on her own so the parents don't have to do it? Teaching them obedience the same way you would a dog? Naming your child JINGER?

These people are effing crazy and I'm not the only one who thinks so:

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....wtopic=3120234
Old 10-14-2005, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

If you want to have that many kids and CAN PROVIDE FOR THEM, that is fine.

These children are being forced to all share rooms with people nowhere near their age and have no personal space. I find it hard to believe that in a 7,000 sq ft house, they couldn't make room for some seperate bedrooms for the older ones.

They are not allowed to socialize with others - because they never get the opportunity!

It's fine to make your kids make dinner occasionally or babysit occasionally - but this is weird. A CHILD should not be responsible for preparing dinner for 18 every single evening - what exactly are the parents doing all day?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
what exactly are the parents doing all day?
BLANKET TRAINING.

And if you've seen a picture of Mrs. Duggar . . . apparently Aquanet-ing their bangs.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BLANKET TRAINING.

And if you've seen a picture of Mrs. Duggar . . . apparently Aquanet-ing their bangs.
I saw her on TV. She scares me.

My dad is from a large Catholic family and my boyfriend is from a large BFE family, but their families are half the size of this one. My boyfriend grew up in parsonages and he STILL never had to share a room with more than one sibling - but then again, his dad's church met somewhere besides their living room.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
What she said! I saw this on the front page of the Seattle times My boss damn near choked on her Marlboro reading it and was like Holy shit!

That can't be good for the uterus

Quote:
I don't think she "gave birth" to the baby so much as it fell out of her uterus.

They aren't good parents. There have been TV specials about them -- basically they farm the younger babies out to the older kids and the older kids are the ones that take care of them.

Also, I think it's hilarious that everybody gives props to the white family that does stuff like this and she even wins Mother of the Year awards, but if she was black they'd be pitching a fit and talking about how "irresponsible" they are.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Are my parents horrible because they made us work on our family's dairy farm, being the primary cow milkers several times a week? I was only 16 and my three sisters were younger. And we turned out just fine, with excellent work ethics and a great education. It just so happens that there's 12 more children in their family, so there's more people to share the workload. I don't think making dinner for 17 is really that tough.

ETA: And what about the Amish? This is very similar to their lifestyle, except most go to school out of their home, either in public school or Amish-run private schools. And they have to work really hard, without modern conveniences such as tractors, cars, electricity, and let's not even discuss how they milk their cows.

Last edited by jess_pom; 10-14-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:58 AM

The only way she is allowed to have another kid is if she names it "Jagoff."

And believe it or not, there is a Jinger precedent. When I first read her name, I thought it was pronounced Gin Grrrrrr.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Michelle Duggar, 39, had her first child at age 21, four years after the couple married.
Gee, what took them so long? Did the happy couple want to wait until they were both of legal drinking age before they started their family?

ETA: Never mind, I just read Jim Bob's explanation on the family website. I never knew that birth control pills cause miscarriages.

And did anyone else check out the "wholesome swimwear" link on the family's favorite websites? OMG.

Last edited by angelove; 10-14-2005 at 10:47 AM.