GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,186
0 members and 1,186 guests
No Members online

Old 03-04-2002, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphi2k
Question Guys and Girls

What do you think about guys and girls being friends? Do you think it's perfectly possible and feasable or do you think a 'When Harry met Sally' scenario is inevitable?
Old 03-04-2002, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, until you brought up Harry and Sally, I thought that I might actually be able to say yes. But I think that it is possible in some cases, but there has to be no sexual/physical attraction from the get-go. Otherwise, later, it will get in the way then then you are starting to become a movie.
I have a guy friend that I could never see as anything but a friend. Ever. Which is nice, because that means I get to ask advice and get a guys point of view all the time.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I think theres nothing wrong wth guys and gals being friends , as long as there is no physical relationship, as long as the friendship is exactly what it is, JUST FRIENDS . Then I think it can work, I have a ton of guy friends , where all we are is friends, a pal , a buddy, just like if I am friends with a girl.
I mean the Harry met sally scenario is possibly, but thats when things get physical and then that has a chance of messing up the friendship, sometimes, it really does work out, but how often does that happen, where both are happy in the current situation
DGP~Honey~
Old 03-04-2002, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
It's possible, but as a friend once suggested to me, most male female friendships begin as some sort of unreciprocated attraction. Who knows? It can't hurt to have a new friend. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2002, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It's possible.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies you might find the males response to be a tad bit different..all though some may say its possible. Making a scientific guess I would say that just about every man has had some kind of sexual thoughts about every women he has met and/or has thought of as attractive. I think its possible....
Old 03-04-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
My best friend is a guy and I have felt nothing for him but friendship love! Unfortunately once I did kiss him (VERY drunk...didn't even remember the night or anything) and the next day I get a call from him saying "What if?"
I told him I would never do anything to hurt our friendship and that I love him dearly but I wanted to keep our relationship the way it was. He accepted it....that was 4 years ago and we're still the bestest of friends!
So I say yes, guys and girls can be JUST friends! Feelings may arise between one of the people, but if you are both mature and deal with it, then it's all good!!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just friends with some girls.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
One of my best friends in HS was a girl so I would say yes it is possible.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
It is definitly possible..most of my closest friends are guys...my best friend of like 10 yrs is a guy and I love him more than anything...In fact for years I used to despise girls just b/c of the way they were competitive over other girls and talked WAY too much but guys are always there..and they make the best listeners in the world.

Nichole
Old 03-05-2002, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Wait a minute. I'm friends with some of the ladies on Greek Chat.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:01 AM
Banned

ok

I think it depends on the two people. All of my girlfriends have been my best friends. It always ended up in us realizing that we could find what we were looking for in each other rather than looking for it elsewhere. Of course, I am now a testimony that even relationships with good friends don't end up working out. However, I am still good friends with all of them.

And I think if the opportunity presented itself where I could just have casual sex and still be friends with the girl, I would say my life is perfect at this point.

However, there are also girls i'm friends with...some even close friends...that i wouldn't touch for all the money in the world because I know certain things about them that make me not want to proceed or I just have no attraction to them.

-Rudey
--I'm the third eye vision
Old 03-05-2002, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Like Rudy, I think it depends on the people. In my life, I've had four best friends that were guys...I ended up dating two of them and had crushes on the other two. However, I have a lot of other guy friends that I've never thought of in that way. I think the closer the friendship, the more the likelyhood there is for a "Harry Met Sally" issue.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPiTerp
My best friend is a guy. At home, we live five minutes away from each other. In high school, we went on spring break together. Then we both ended up coming to Maryland. I don't know what I'd do without him. We've never hooked up, or even kissed, and we both laugh when people ask us if we have. Pat is like my brother, and I know he'll always be there for me. To him, I'm another one of the guys. It works out well, I can hook him up with my sisters, and I love all of his brothers. I think a lot of situations can end up like When Harry Met Sally, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's really awesome to have a guy friend without any other feelings or motives.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

With the exception of three women, my best friends have always been males. ALL my interactions placed men in the majority. The key (I THINK) was NEVER crossing any lines real or imagined, be it a conversation or something as simple as a touch. However, right before I got married, my father took me aside and said it was time to regard my husband as my best friend and let the other relationships go. It was very hard but sound advice, even though it seemed "old fashioned" at the time.

I still enjoy the company of men compared to women, but that's probably due to the fact I've never found any female friends like I had in college. Plus-this "southern belle" attitude is very hard to relate to-unless you were raised here.