GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,504
2 members and 1,502 guests
*winter*, znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you're super duper pale, sometimes you're better off goig with white.
This would be me.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

When I initiated (2000), we had to wear white hose (as a chapter). They were certainly "out of fashion" already at that point, but surprisingly, in the next year or two when the vote came up in chapter to remove that requirement, it was met with MUCH resistance and if I remember correctly, failed the first time it was presented.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
When I initiated (2000), we had to wear white hose (as a chapter). They were certainly "out of fashion" already at that point, but surprisingly, in the next year or two when the vote came up in chapter to remove that requirement, it was met with MUCH resistance and if I remember correctly, failed the first time it was presented.
I'm betting because it was "Tradition."
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM

http://www.myskins.com/

I shouldn't threadjack, but this company makes lingerie that comes in 20 shades so just about everyone can find a color that matches their skin. They'll even send you a little card with the colors on it so you can hold it up and match yourself! I'm an "04"
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The thing is, it has to be the color of YOUR skin, not what Bali or Maidenform or whoever call "flesh tone." If you're super duper pale, sometimes you're better off goig with white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
This would be me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
http://www.myskins.com/

I shouldn't threadjack, but this company makes lingerie that comes in 20 shades so just about everyone can find a color that matches their skin. They'll even send you a little card with the colors on it so you can hold it up and match yourself! I'm an "04"

It took decades before companies stopped basing "flesh tone" and "nude" on predominantly white women's skin tones.

Whether your undergarments are white, tan, brown, or black--look at yourself in the mirror from the front and back. Women's liberation, indeed.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

And I don't care if it's white against beige skin - nobody has polka-dot skin! Or royal blue, or pink and green stripes. I don't get lazer beam focus on white undies on normal skin but it's like I can't take my eyes off the inappropriately vivid ones. And then the judging comes in and my whole mental conversation goes down the tubes.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
This would be me.
Me too! I aspire to someday have enough color to get to "flesh" as deemed by lingerie manufacturers. Thank goodness for Mystic Tan!

After many years of burn, peel, and repeat in my youth, I quit trying a couple of decades ago - skin cancer is much uglier than pale skin. The good news is now that I'm staring down the barrel of middle age, I look noticably younger than my friends who were sun goddesses. (If I do say so myself.)

Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Again, us locals do things a bit different.

As a pledge, we were just told to dress "as befits the occasion", which we all kind of interpreted as dress clothes. I wore a pair of (ugly and probably ill fitting) trousers and a button down shirt. Looking back on it I wish I would have dressed up.

As an active, it was dressing in our colors. I always had a dress/shirt combo but found a perfect dress in the last few months of my senior year that I wore to my alumni initiation.
Ditto. My local sorority doesn't give any specifications.

We were told to wear something nice and meet in the student center before being whisked away to the site of the initiation. There were only four people in my pledge class, but our definitions of "nice" varied considerably: I wore an old prom dress, another wore her Sunday best, another wore traditional Pakistani formal wear, and the last wore an outfit suitable for a trendy nightclub. An eclectic mix to be sure, but it worked out perfectly for our ceremony. The active members also wear whatever- no need for specific colors, cuts, etc. Just looking nice is the key.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Y'all know we have an arrow as a symbol. So of course, we wear Native American gear for initiation.