GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,197
0 members and 1,197 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Maybe I'm just not seeing any "my mom made it" dresses that look comparable to the original because their parents or overseas seamstresses are not as awesome in the sewing dept like your mom might be.

Like, I've seen some "my mom sewed this" gowns that look like they belong on Regretsy.
Oh, I've seen some poorly made dresses (usually ones that people asked my mom to fix!), but that doesn't mean that all seamstress-made dresses are going to be Regretsy fodder. I've seen enough good ones to know that I can't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Oh, I've seen some poorly made dresses (usually ones that people asked my mom to fix!), but that doesn't mean that all seamstress-made dresses are going to be Regretsy fodder. I've seen enough good ones to know that I can't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Not only is this quote full of awesome terms, it rhymes.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

While we were on the topic of large bridesmaids:

One of my girlfriends just got engaged (we're all relieved). She was telling me that she doesn't want her sisters as bridesmaids because "they're all old and obese." I KID YOU NOT. She went on to discuss how they'd all have to end up wearing shawls over their big arms.

I guess I should be honored that she felt comfortable enough with me to be so open, but damn. I was mildly offended and I think I looked like a deer in the headlights. I think I'd still be offended vven if one of my sisters wasn't terminally ill and will probably not make it to any wedding I have...still, damn.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM

Was just talking about overdone wedding things with the planners I work with. Can we be done with all things moustache now?

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I was invited to a wedding shower which is happening in a couple of weeks. This caught me off guard because A) it is not a close friend B) the wedding is not til October. I believe that they've had to move things up because of her fiance's military duties? Still seems awful early!

So here's the relationship (it makes things a bit awkward and complicated, in my opinion):

She and I went to the same high school. She was two grades behind me. However, we were on the golf team for 2 years together as well as softball for 1 year. Then she went to my college so I would see her around campus now and again. We definitely had a fair amount of interaction back in the day, and we got along just fine, but I don't think we could say we were friends.

Mr. LP & her fiance went to high school together. They were acquaintances in high school but ended up pledging the same fraternity at our school (they were in the same pledge class). Because my husband was a spring pledge, he had a small class, so he invited all pledge brothers and their SOs to the wedding. Naturally, they were both invited.

Now, I did not invite her to my shower because that was limited to my close friends and family and also my husbands close family (did I do that wrong?) Considering I got an invite, I assume she flat out just invited every woman who is invited to her shower.

I am not planning on going. I really don't have a relationship with her and I don't even know if I'd know anyone there.

My dilemma is what to do about the gifts. Her and her fiance got us a really nice gift for our wedding so I don't want to just blow it off. At first, I wanted to get her two smaller gifts, one for the shower that I would just send and probably cash for the wedding. But in talking with a few friends that know her (and don't like her--she's a nice girl, but kind of a flake, lol) they were like, forget that, just wait to the wedding, do one nice gift and be over with it.

I keep going back and forth. Any thoughts on what I should do? Honestly, I'm happy to get her/them a gift either way--I mean it's a gift for the husband, my husband's friend, too. Like I mentioned, I never had issue with her (although my friends do? lol) and their gift to us was very thoughtful. Just can't decide on two smaller or one big one. (and when I'd say smaller, they'd be in the $75 range each)

Last edited by lovespink88; 01-27-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: whoops, said she when I meant he!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I sent a wedding gift for a wedding we weren't going to be able to attend as soon as we got the invitation (this was back in October and the wedding was the weekend after Thanksgiving). I haven't heard anything from the bride, nor have I received a thank you card. Is it rude to send a quick email asking if she got it? It's been months and I would like to make sure my $100+ gift didn't just disappear.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

lp: I would do the two small gifts. You were invited to the shower and will be invited to the wedding. Two separate events.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I sent a wedding gift for a wedding we weren't going to be able to attend as soon as we got the invitation (this was back in October and the wedding was the weekend after Thanksgiving). I haven't heard anything from the bride, nor have I received a thank you card. Is it rude to send a quick email asking if she got it? It's been months and I would like to make sure my $100+ gift didn't just disappear.
She could be clueless like I was at first and not realize that you don't have to wait to after the wedding to send thank yous for wedding gifts you have received BEFORE the wedding. I got two wedding gifts well before the wedding--I recorded them in my little tracker for thank yous and everything. It was only until I was doing shower thank yous and I looked something up on the Internet that I read you were supposed to send out pre-wedding wedding gift thank yous that you receive as soon as you can. Oops. I did send those thank yous out with the shower thank yous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
lp: I would do the two small gifts. You were invited to the shower and will be invited to the wedding. Two separate events.
Yep, I decided to go that way, which was my original hunch. I asked around my office and everyone agreed as well. My friends have less wedding experience than my co-workers lol
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM

I was at a Super Bowl party this past weekend and talking to a friend of mine about wedding rudeness and had to share this. It may be the RUDEST wedding thing ever.

So my friend was invited to a wedding. Invite reads "Friend's Name and guest."

When an invite reads that, your assumption is "oh, I get to bring someone."

So she RSVPs for herself + her boyfriend. This is like 6 weeks before the wedding.

3 weeks before the wedding, she gets a letter in the mail from the couple.

It reads:

"We realize that our invitations indicated that you were permitted to bring a guest. Due to a need to cut costs, we are unable to accommodate guests at this time, so we are asking that all invitees NOT bring guests as originally reported. Please attend the event with only yourself. We look forward to seeing you there."

Yes, you read that right. They invited guests, then sent out a form letter un-allowing people to bring a guest/date, because they decided they couldn't afford it.

I was blown away at the rudeness. My friend and her boyfriend (who had both requested time off work to come) called to say that they would not be attending because of how unbelievably rude that was.

That's one for the Rude Hall of Fame.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

RE: above. How about writing a budget BEFORE you send out invitations?

On another note, I will be attending a Destination Weddings seminar in Cabo in May, so I'll be back and ready to answer your questions right after that! I'm glad to help, even if you want to use your local travel agent.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

YIKES. I think what bothers me most is how incredibly cold sounding that letter sounds. It sounded like a business transaction! Then again, I suppose there's no correct way to um...uninvite someone.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Yeah, this is going to sound really harsh, but if you're dealing with budget issues of that magnitude, you do not need a wedding.

I tend to feel the same about other rather rude practices such as cash bars/drink tickets. If you're monitoring your guest's drink consumption on that level, you need to elope.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Yeah, this is going to sound really harsh, but if you're dealing with budget issues of that magnitude, you do not need a wedding.

I tend to feel the same about other rather rude practices such as cash bars/drink tickets. If you're monitoring your guest's drink consumption on that level, you need to elope.
Drink tickets? Hadn't heard that one before!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
RE: above. How about writing a budget BEFORE you send out invitations?

If they had figured out the budget ahead of time, maybe they could have sent out "You are not invited" letters
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/y...raws-criticism

PSimissU
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

In another awkward situation, I received a "Save the Date" email for a destination wedding in Traverse City, MI during the cherry festival. They included hotel information because rooms book up quickly that weekend (4th of July weekend). I don't know if my kids are invited or not. I took a quick family vote to see if they wanted to go spend a few days up there whether they are invited to the wedding or not and they said yes, they did. We haven't had a whole family vacation in a few years so we're going. If they aren't invited to the wedding, they are old enough to do stuff on their own anyway, at 19 and 17. Hypo has been up there with a group of friends on their own. I'm good with that. It is awkward not knowing whether they are invited or not and it feels rude to ask.

I emailed one of my cousins to see when they are going up and which hotel they had picked. I said "I don't know if the kids are invited or not but they said they want to go up there for a few days and will go do something on their own if they aren't." She'll probably find out for me, based on that...lol.