GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,457
0 members and 1,457 guests
No Members online

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
For those of you who think these things no longer matter in places in the south, I have three words for you: Mountain Brook Alabama.
amen!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

How did this thread become a thread about the south vs the rest of the country?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
How did this thread become a thread about the south vs the rest of the country?
I think it is because the only "strongholds" of any org are in the south.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
I think it is because the only "strongholds" of any org are in the south.
OK. What about the groups that have little to no reresentation in the south? They have to have pockets where membership is more dense than in other areas.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
OK. What about the groups that have little to no reresentation in the south? They have to have pockets where membership is more dense than in other areas.
Right, but nobody cares before rush or after graduation, so it's not so much a stronghold, even if they have a lot of chapters there.

Illinois, one of the biggest Greek systems in the country, has very little tent talk, because nobody shows up in Champaign knowing a damn thing about any of the sororities. Sure, the internet has made things worse, but it's not like it meant anything when I went home over break and told my high school friends where I'd pledged.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
I would love to read a thread about this. It just intrigues me that people would actually do this. Does anyone know if there are any existing threads about this? Or is anyone willing to share anecdotal information if they've witnessed it?
I've posted on here several times about a student at my university, but for those who have missed it, here it is again. It is about someone who lived a few doors down from me freshman year.

Susie PNM shows up on campus for Fall Recruitment with her mind on ONE chapter only, XYZ. Nevermind the fact that there were 10 excellent organizations. She decided that she was only suited for one of them, and it happened to be one that was a very strong recruiting chapter. For numerous reasons, this was not the best fit for her. While the rest of us could see that, she could not.

By day 2 she had been cut from this chapter, so she completely dropped out of rush.

Next fall she registers to rush again, and tells everyone that will listen that she plans to be an XYZ. In her eyes they were the best chapter on campus and the only one good enough for her.

She was cut after Round 1.

Our rush was the week before school started, so Susie packed up her stuff and moved back home. She then enrolled in the hometown commuter school, went through their smallish recruitment, and yes got a bid.

So, guess who shows up back on our campus Junior year with the exact letters that she desperately wanted for 2 straight recruitments? Yep, and she even tried to affiliate. Surprise, surprise, the chapter voted to not affiliate her.

For those of you counting, yes that is 3x the chapter denied her membership.

For the next 2 years she continued to wear her precious letters that she had longed to receive. However, those letters came with zero sisterhood. To this day I wonder if it was worth it to her. I also wonder her involvement level as an alumna.

She could have been happy in any number of chapters on our campus had she given them a chance. She was a very nice person, but rather insecure and this came off in conversations, her behavior and her personality. I also wonder if finding a group that was similar to who she was, instead of who she longed to be, would have helped her confidence.

We will never know.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Ellen Gilchrist is another good Southern author who has the genre perfected .
Ah yes, and Ellen is a proud Chi Omega!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Right, but nobody cares before rush or after graduation, so it's not so much a stronghold, even if they have a lot of chapters there.

Illinois, one of the biggest Greek systems in the country, has very little tent talk, because nobody shows up in Champaign knowing a damn thing about any of the sororities. Sure, the internet has made things worse, but it's not like it meant anything when I went home over break and told my high school friends where I'd pledged.
Here's the issue that I have with the logic of "no one cares."

1. For decades, women in all parts of the country have been involved alumnae, not just in the south.

2. There's a boatload of non-southern GC'ers who are no longer collegiate members.

Some non-Southerners appear to care.

Regarding the no-tent talk at Illinois, that may be the case at Illinois, but freshman girls will be freshman girls. I know for a fact that tent talk was alive and well when my childhood best friend went through rush at Northwestern (not in the South), and her roommate from Seattle (also not in the south) was heartbroken to find out that she got a bid to XYZ. This stuff isn't limited to the south. I'm not saying that it happens everywhere, but it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Ah yes, and Ellen is a proud Chi Omega!
Love me some Ellen Gilchrist. She is awesome!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Here's the issue that I have with the logic of "no one cares."

1. For decades, women in all parts of the country have been involved alumnae, not just in the south.

2. There's a boatload of non-southern GC'ers who are no longer collegiate members.

Some non-Southerners appear to care.

Regarding the no-tent talk at Illinois, that may be the case at Illinois, but freshman girls will be freshman girls. I know for a fact that tent talk was alive and well when my childhood best friend went through rush at Northwestern (not in the South), and her roommate from Seattle (also not in the south) was heartbroken to find out that she got a bid to XYZ. This stuff isn't limited to the south. I'm not saying that it happens everywhere, but it happens.
I didn't say "no tent talk", I said (or meant) less. People still pick up on things like 2-on-1 rushing, or events with the most popular fraternities, or older siblings, or whatever. My point is that a large number of girls show up on campus with no idea, and when you talk to someone from another school, it doesn't mean much to them, either.

And of course I didn't mean nobody cares about their sorority past graduation.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM

There's a difference between caring in a sense of being active, and caring in a sense of viewing it as a status symbol. I obviously do care and Sigma matters to me, but I care about Sigma differently than someone who views her as a status symbol in her particular town (as I'm well aware that there are towns and places in which being a Sigma matters in that way.)

And I think every school has some level of tent talk/rumors/chapters that PNMs come to campus or recruitment with their mind set on.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-06-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Speaking of BAMA fans - pretty sure their new interim president will mention which sorority she's in.....
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/03/...dy_bonner.html
I hope she will!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
For the next 2 years she continued to wear her precious letters that she had longed to receive. However, those letters came with zero sisterhood. To this day I wonder if it was worth it to her. I also wonder her involvement level as an alumna.

She could have been happy in any number of chapters on our campus had she given them a chance. She was a very nice person, but rather insecure and this came off in conversations, her behavior and her personality. I also wonder if finding a group that was similar to who she was, instead of who she longed to be, would have helped her confidence.

We will never know.
Not to mention, she probably really hurt the sisters at the chapter that she pledged at when they realized the degree to which she was using them.

Twat.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

I agree with all of this, but the bold part I emphatically agree with. When I say that I'm in a sorority to friends here, they ask which one, then immediately say that they don't understand the difference between them. No one knew whether Sigma was the 'hottest' sorority or 'weirdo' sorority, whether at Penn State or otherwise. To me that was a huge relief in a way, knowing that my decision would only be seen as going Greek versus not going Greek, not "I went Greek and joined the wrong organization". That, to me, would have prevented me from going Greek, most likely. I don't know if I could deal with that kind of pressure, even if I did love the women in the sorority.

Also I would love to know in what states different sororities have the most chapters. I know that AST and Sigma are PA, ZTA is FL, Alpha Phi is CA, would anyone else care to chime in?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
Also I would love to know in what states different sororities have the most chapters. I know that AST and Sigma are PA, ZTA is FL, Alpha Phi is CA, would anyone else care to chime in?
The state with the highest number of Kappa chapters is California, which has 16. I would say that we're fairly evenly distributed throughout the country.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
States with the most CHI OMEGA active chapters

13 - Texas
11 - North Carolina
10 Ohio