GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,900
1 members and 1,899 guests
fmanning
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice to rush thread addicts

Sometimes PNMs get cut and don't want to talk about it. Sometimes they drop out and don't want to talk about it. Sometimes they have 5 million things to do (remember how busy we all were when we all started college?) and posting is the last thing on their priority list.

I know a lot of people find it really exciting to read the stories, but if they don't update, please don't post 86 time asking them for news. They'll post when/if they want to share something. They're not going through recruitment just so people on GC can read about it.

Oh, and calling people from that school to try to find out about PNMs and where they went is just creepy. If I had found out that someone who had written me a rec for the sorority I joined had done that, I'd think twice about staying in that group because I'd be kind of freaked out to know that there are people like that in my GLO.

/rant

Last edited by ADPiSAI; 08-25-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2004, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Well said. I'm just as excited about hearing everyone's stories, but I'll sit back and let them post when they're ready to post their thoughts and feelings.

Best of luck to the GC PNM's still in the middle of recruitment (or about to begin), and best wishes to our other PNM's, wherever they may be!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Unregistered-

I didn't go through rush at a competitive or cutthroat school, but I can still sympathize with them and try to understand the devastation some PNMs feel when they've found out they've gotten cut, or when they decide to withdraw because of their own reasons, etc.

As I've seen with past seasons of rush, there's so much hype and excitement leading up to this PNM's rush on campus with the 230492348273948 Good Lucks up the butt. It takes a lot of balls, er, OVARIES, I mean to have the courage to admit to everyone online that rush simply didn't work out.

I know if I was a PNM and it didn't work out, posting on GC would be the LAST thing on my priority list.

What ForeverDiamond posted about GCers contacting their fellow members on a campus where a GC PNM is rushing (just to see how her rush went) might seem outlandish, but I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't happened before.

There's a lot of anxiousness and excitement, I know. But I think some of y'all need to take it easy just a little. WORD.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Advice to rush thread addicts

Quote:
Originally posted by ForeverDiamond

Oh, and calling people from that school to try to find out about PNMs and where they went is just creepy. If I had found out that someone who had written me a rec for the sorority I joined had done that, I'd think twice about staying in that group because I'd be kind of freaked out to know that there are people like that in my GLO.

/rant
See, I agree with everything except this... I don't see anything wrong with this with the following rule. If you know the person well and figure they are way too busy to call everyone, then it might be easier just to call the chapter and find out. If you wrote a glowing rec for someone, then again, it isn't so odd to me.

But, if it is an info-only type situation or just someone you know that went through rush, then it IS a little odd.

Just my opinion... For what it's worth... ($.02 if you were wondering)
Old 08-25-2004, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It may seem crase to want to know what happened to all of the PNMs that you know, but when you run into them or their parents in person and ask is even worse!!! I'm trying to find out about all of the girls I know before I see them!!! Is this so wrong?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Unregistered-

Re: Re: Advice to rush thread addicts

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
See, I agree with everything except this... I don't see anything wrong with this with the following rule. If you know the person well and figure they are way too busy to call everyone, then it might be easier just to call the chapter and find out. If you wrote a glowing rec for someone, then again, it isn't so odd to me.
See, that's what a normal person would do.

Perhaps it was just worded wrong because as an alum you kind of want to know how this PNM did because in a way, the alum had some say in her rush process.

I believe what ForeverDiamond was venting about was the GCers who have no "relationship" with this PNM except for GC. Going out of the way by calling your contacts at XYZ University just to suppress your own obsessed and addictive need for rush threads is what's sick and creepy.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 PM

Oh my gosh, if I see one more post that reads "Any updates?", I'm going to scream.

We go through this EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Some of these girls are busy and for many of these girls, unfortunately, they were cut heavily and don't want to talk about it. Can you blame them? Leave them alone; they'll post when they're ready. They haven't forgotten us. Bumping up a thread will not bring them back any sooner since they're probably not regularly checking GC.

Also, I've heard about a great many GCers who have contacted schools, alum, or collegiate members regarding a GC PNM to see what happened with the PNM. I think we all witnessed the worst of it last year and I think the thread is now locked (thank goodness). It still goes on, though. If you're contacting these PNM's schools to find out where they went when you've never even met them, you really need to revaluate your life and find something to do with it.

ETA:
I'm not talking about those of you who have written recs for some of these girls and have become very close with them through PMs and Emails. I'm talking about the people whose only contact with the PNM has been through their rush thread.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 08-25-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

OTW, I completely agree on that. I guess I misunderstood.

Thanks!
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Advice to rush thread addicts

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
I believe what ForeverDiamond was venting about was the GCers who have no "relationship" with this PNM except for GC. Going out of the way by calling your contacts at XYZ University just to suppress your own obsessed and addictive need for rush threads is what's sick and creepy.
right on
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by leesek
It may seem crase to want to know what happened to all of the PNMs that you know, but when you run into them or their parents in person and ask is even worse!!! I'm trying to find out about all of the girls I know before I see them!!! Is this so wrong?
If you know them and their parents personally, then I can understand the need to know!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everything said above, but I don't think people want to be annoying but are just simply curious to know how things worked out.

I have a feeling that there are many folks around here who wrote recs for people on GC who are rushing and are closely following b/c of that. Just my guess though based on some things I've read on here.

But if you don't know the person well, calling the chapter or whoever to find out what's going on is extreme!!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
Oh my gosh, if I see one more post that reads "Any updates?", I'm going to scream.
Can I get an AMEN for this? It's disheartening to know that we are probably scaring PNMs with our enthusiasm for the recruitment process. Since many of us have gone through recruitment at least 2 times as collegiates (or alums) it's very exciting for us, but we need to start thinking of these girls. They will post when they have the time and the drive. I understand that it's wonderful to see a PNM going through this process, but we really need to lay off the "any updates" stuff and let these girls post if they are ready.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

not to mention that the threads get full of pages and pages of "good, luck!" "any news?" over and over again. sometimes I go to check the threads b/c it seems like there might be an update and then it turns out the pnm hasn't posted for days!! most pnms actual recruitment stories are only 6 or seven posts long, but their threads are 14 plus pages!!!! not that these girls don't deserve the "good lucks", but it gets kind of overwhelming to read and post in.

---just a personal frustration
Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 PM

Re: Advice to rush thread addicts

Quote:
Originally posted by ForeverDiamond

/rant

Someone has actually done that?!?!?!?!?! Yes I must agree that is pretty darn creepy!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll say an AMEN to what everyone has been saying. I know when my friend was going through at UF and hadn't called me for a few days, I was DYING to know what was going on but I also knew that she could have been cut and me calling or emailing and saying "Where did you go" could have been the last thing she needed.
If PNM's want us to know, I think they will tell us in good time!
Closed Thread