GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,517
1 members and 1,516 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-30-2002, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Bidless

Well, the dust has settled and it's official, I'm not one of the chosen ones. No surprise really, after being dropped from all on day 2 of 4 I have to say this is what I expected. It really bothered me though when I got dropped like a hot potato and listened to girls saying truly NASTY things about the sororities not fall under the knife.

Among the things I heard upon leaving the party of the sorority *I* wanted to join (if it had been up to me):
"well at least the food was good"
"I was so bored I wanted to stab myself to death with a toothpick just to get out of there".

I couldn't believe it. Yes I've uttered the sharp-tongued comment or two in my life, with regards to the occasional boring, work-related social event, but only to close friends and immediate family. I would NEVER openly diss the host of a private party I'd attended and especially not to a bus-load of complete strangers!!!

These girls tried really hard and put on a really nice party and were kind enough to invite us into their house and home and this is what it got!?!?! I treated all my hosts with the utmost respect and complimentary behaviour, maybe that's where I went wrong. If I walked in acting like I was too cool for this place, maybe I wouldn't have been cut so early. Maybe my niceness seemed faked because there wasn't a lot of it going around.

I don't know what went wrong. All I know is that despite the assurances of the pan-hellenic council that everyone gets a bid (they were quick to retract and say "almost" tonight) and that second undergraduate degree students have a fair shot, I feel cheated.

Exactly what are the numbers of people who get bids anyway? How many rushees go away sister-less not by their own choice? Is this an indication that there is something that makes me utterly wrong for sorority life or did I just maybe fall through the cracks somehow?

~Eve
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2002, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Eve,
I'm so sorry to hear about that. But NO it is not your fault, and like you suggested you probably just fell through the cracks. I'm not sure how often this happens since it depends on the campus, but it happens enough. Formal Recruitment may not be a perfect system but it is the best we have right now.
Please consider COB if possible, this will give sisters a better chance to get to know you.

Don't rule out sorority life yet!
Old 09-30-2002, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Please please PLEASE COB. We have a couple girls that didn't get bids again and again and again at recruitment..... but then at some COB party somewhere something just *clicked* and now we have these wonderful sisters, and we can't imagine where we'd be without them.

Rush is its little funny own thing. I'm so sorry you didn't get where you wanted. I know what that feels like! I honestly think, though (cheesy? what? yet true) that things work a certain way for a reason.

Please give the girls another chance to see how cool you are.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I went bidless twice and got snapped. Best thing ever though. Hang in there. Everything will work out in the end.