GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,600
1 members and 1,599 guests
No Members online

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't get a bid, what should I do?

Ok so basically I rushed three fraternities during rush week at my school. At every single one, I got to know as many of the brothers as possible, I would say I was as friendly as possible, and said just about all the right things about why I wanted to be in a fraternity. I was even invited to smoke with some of the brothers at one of the houses, so this was a sign that as I was really clicking with them. I went to as many rush events as possible at each of the 3 fraternities. But once bid day came around, I was very disappointed to find out on that I didn't get a bid from anywhere. My GPA is relatively low (2.46) but I was told by several brothers that even if you have a low GPA, you can get a bid and not be able to actually pledge until the grades go up.

And I know many people on here are going to say, "ask the brothers why you didn't get a bid." However, most fraternities have a policy where they cannot provide you that information, so I am still wondering. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone else on here got rejected from a fraternity, and if you did, do you know why? Or if there are any active brothers on this forum who could tell me why they decline rushees.

And my last question, do you think I am missing out on a lot of social life not being in a fraternity. I don't have that many friends, so I was hoping this would be my way of getting a few. But now I kind of feel like a loser and a loner. I don't know what to do, most people already have their friend groups and don't want to reach out to anybody.

Should I rush the fraternities in the spring or something and hope that they reconsider me? Or is it not worth it?

B.Q: For active brothers, how often do you guys throw parties.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorax View Post
Ok so basically I rushed three fraternities during rush week at my school. At every single one, I got to know as many of the brothers as possible, I would say I was as friendly as possible, and said just about all the right things about why I wanted to be in a fraternity. I was even invited to smoke with some of the brothers at one of the houses, so this was a sign that as I was really clicking with them. I went to as many rush events as possible at each of the 3 fraternities. But once bid day came around, I was very disappointed to find out on that I didn't get a bid from anywhere. My GPA is relatively low (2.46) but I was told by several brothers that even if you have a low GPA, you can get a bid and not be able to actually pledge until the grades go up.
I'll assume you're talking about cigarettes. I don't know how that's a sign that you're clicking with them. When I'm smoking, I'll chit chat with anyone outside. That doesn't mean I want these people to be my fraternity brothers.

Quote:
And I know many people on here are going to say, "ask the brothers why you didn't get a bid." However, most fraternities have a policy where they cannot provide you that information, so I am still wondering. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone else on here got rejected from a fraternity, and if you did, do you know why? Or if there are any active brothers on this forum who could tell me why they decline rushees.
With all due respect, if the fraternities have a policy, how does asking online circumvent that policy?

Quote:
And my last question, do you think I am missing out on a lot of social life not being in a fraternity. I don't have that many friends, so I was hoping this would be my way of getting a few. But now I kind of feel like a loser and a loner. I don't know what to do, most people already have their friend groups and don't want to reach out to anybody.

Should I rush the fraternities in the spring or something and hope that they reconsider me? Or is it not worth it?

Greek life did help me meet people, but it didn't mean OMG I HAVE MILLIONS OF FRIENDS. My letters were often a conversation starter, but I still had to put in work in order to keep my budding friendships going.

Join some campus clubs. Join an intramural sport. Talk to people. This is how you'll meet people.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'll assume you're talking about cigarettes. I don't know how that's a sign that you're clicking with them. When I'm smoking, I'll chit chat with anyone outside. That doesn't mean I want these people to be my fraternity brothers.
Every time I have ever heard someone say they were invited to go smoke with people somewhere, it means that they were smoking weed. I think that's what he is talking about. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle14 View Post
Every time I have ever heard someone say they were invited to go smoke with people somewhere, it means that they were smoking weed. I think that's what he is talking about. I could be wrong though.
Let's not beat around the bush, that is most likely what it was. It might have bee hookah, but then they say "smoke hookah"
Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I KNOW he was talking about weed or hookah, but I'm trying to give him (and that fraternity) the benefit of the doubt.

The chapter is full of fucking idiots if smoking out is a rush activity.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I KNOW he was talking about weed or hookah, but I'm trying to give him (and that fraternity) the benefit of the doubt.

The chapter is full of fucking idiots if smoking out is a rush activity.
My only point in saying that was that smoking weed with some of the brothers seems like much more of an acceptance thing than smoking cigarettes.
And I kind of agree with your last sentence.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't it a nation wide IFC policy for rush to be dry? Or is that just the generous campuses that keep a close eye on Greek Life?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You received a lot of replies when you asked the same question two months ago.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=122540

If you are still spending a lot of time thinking about this then it might be time to talk to someone at health services.

*The smoking thing can refer to cigars in some fraternities but considering his description of the school and their rush, I don't think this would be one of them.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

First off there is no such thing as a national IFC. Second I don't think NIC has any rules regarding recruitment. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if most NIC orgs have inter/national guidelines stating no alcohol at rush.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

swerving here a little, you can't ask the fraternity guys what happened, but if you take a close look at yourself and your existing relationships, maybe it will tell you something. I don't know you so I don't know if any of these apply, but are you: a huge dork, a know it all, the funny guy who is in fact just obnoxious, the guy who gloms onto a conversation and can't take a hint to move on, the guy who's first in and last out at a party, always has to have the last word?

After taking a look at yourself (and since you have a bit of an obsessive streak, a mental health check up wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to do), maybe you should try again with a group of fraternities who are more like you and less like who you want to be. In the meantime, get out there and start making friends! And the only way to do that is to be involved on campus, join study groups, do the stuff Knight Shadow said. And for god's sake, don't smoke weed (or any cigarette as far as I'm concerned) at a rush event. This is the time to be a little dignified. The guys who invited you to smoke may well have been the pariahs of the chapter and their thumbs up gave you an automatic thumbs down.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorax View Post
My GPA is relatively low (2.46) but I was told by several brothers that even if you have a low GPA, you can get a bid and not be able to actually pledge until the grades go up.

I don't know the groups you rushed or their policies, but in some groups one brother can be the difference between you and a bid. Some brothers might have told you your GPA was okay, but others might have had an issue with it. Those others might have stopped you from getting in. Or you might have said or done something that raised flags to the guys. Or you could just not have been a good fit.

On a personal note, unless you were some really great person, I probably wouldn't have voted to give you a bid based on your GPA alone. Why give someone a bid who may or may not make grades? Too much of a liability.

As for whether or not you are missing out on a social life. You aren't. Unless your school is majority greek (probably not the case), there are plenty of other things to do on campus. If all you wanted Greek Life was for the social aspect, just by being in a group doesn't mean your social calendar is automatically filled.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, we were smoking a bong. It was not part of the regular rush events, I was just invited by a couple of the brothers to smoke with them at some dude's house.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

In my experience, most fraternities don't even look at grades. I really think only colonies or fraternities that are just a couple years away from being colonies tend to consider them seriously. We never mentioned them once during rush.

My guess, like the majority of fraternity rushees, is that when you are rushing fraternities, you are the one choosing which chapters to focus on. Sometimes there can be a discrepancy between where you want to fit in, and where you actually do fit in. Be honest with yourself...were these guys who you actually are, or who you want to be?

One last thing about being invited to smoke weed. I think many fraternities will have at least pockets of stoners. Often times, this group can become almost a subculture within the fraternity, and their top picks may be widely different than the top picks of the fraternity as a whole. Sometimes they may be perceived (rightly or prejudicially) as the "slackers" of the group, and their favorites may be strategically ousted by other groups of guys during rush.

And to everybody saying fraternity rush should be dry...come on...at the overwhelming majority of schools in this country, rush has never been dry and never will be. Not agreeing with it, but let's not be the ostrich with our head in the sand.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
In my experience, most fraternities don't even look at grades. I really think only colonies or fraternities that are just a couple years away from being colonies tend to consider them seriously. We never mentioned them once during rush.
Add to this fraternities that are under close scrutiny by their HQ's for other reasons, or who didn't make grades last semester, and I totally agree.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Add to this fraternities that are under close scrutiny by their HQ's for other reasons, or who didn't make grades last semester, and I totally agree.
Let's just put it this way. I even know of a fraternity that had TWO voting sessions one rush when nationals sent out an adviser. One when he was awake, and a secret one when he went to sleep. During the first, they talked about grades/leadership/involvement. During the second, they talked about what they really cared about: is this kid fun, is he going to bring around girls, do we like him, is he good at sports, etc.

As I've read posts on this board, it seems like most (if not all) sororities have built in points for grades. Maybe the girl gets extra points in membership selection if her GPA is above a certain standard, maybe the bid list is ordered by GPA, if her GPA is low she gets cut automatically, whatever. Fraternities don't have any of these (to my knowledge) and voting is largely based on chapter decisions, not national guidelines. I have never, ever, ever heard of a guy being denied a bid based on his low GPA if the chapter wanted him. Also, I have never once heard of a kid's high GPA being brought up as a positive during voting. (Colonies excepted). So when guys get on this forum and talk about their GPA, and all these GCers come out of the woodwork and talk about "Well, maybe you were cut because you were a grade risk", I think it's just as misguided as me giving advice about SEC sorority rush. It's very safe to assume your grades played little, if any, part in being cut when rushing 95% of the fraternities out there.