GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,229
0 members and 2,229 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2024, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Maryland hires consulting firm to interview Greek life students

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/unive...dents/60144269
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2024, 12:41 PM

Thorough and impartial, my ass!!

The only way I think students should even contemplate participating in this is if they are allowed to record the entire thing - from the minute they walk in. A no to that would be a big no from me.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:51 PM

Anyone who says all chapters at all schools have is automatically an unreliable narrator.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/baltimor...e-park-campus/

Apparently her sisters told her a picture on her instagram wasn't appropriate and she called it hazing, ostracism and cyber bullying. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Old 03-11-2024, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Just NIC and NPC groups.

Everyone should be a part of this. If they're going after Greeks, include everyone. Also, they should tail the jocks and the music fraternities and the ROTC, all long time violators around here.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Lucy Taylor just so happens to have her own podcast about the issues with Greek Life. There is absolutely no ulterior motive for her speaking out right now, I’m sure
Old 03-11-2024, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
In the letter sent to members Friday, the Division of Student Affairs stated, "To conduct a thorough and impartial investigation, we've interviewed and hired a consulting firm to support this process. The interviews are scheduled to take place from Monday, March 11 through Friday, March 15. During this period, a number of current and new members from each IFC and PHA chapter will be invited to interview to facilitate a comprehensive understanding of the allegations. Beyond these individuals, we encourage anyone else who would like to participate to do so. We share your desire for a careful and efficient process, and completing this review by the end of next week relies on your cooperation."
Soooo......it's a fishing expedition in hopes that students will feel pressured to randomly disclose information?

Quote:
In the letter, school officials emphasized that no specific incident led to the investigation and the suspension is intended to prevent a significant incident.
Woah! Woah! Woah! Did they just say that for real?? So they've got nothing and are spending tax payer dollars to hire an outside consulting firm to conjure up something, anything, to find wrong? And they are going to violate rights to do so?

True and Constant
Old 03-12-2024, 09:41 AM

Is it definitely taxpayer dollars? Just because a school is called University of Insert State Here, doesn't mean State funds it. (See: University of Pennsylvania) I don't know how Maryland is set up.

That being said, if it's not taxpayer dollars, it's tuition dollars, and I can't imagine parents will be pleased about that.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Is it definitely taxpayer dollars? Just because a school is called University of Insert State Here, doesn't mean State funds it. (See: University of Pennsylvania) I don't know how Maryland is set up.

That being said, if it's not taxpayer dollars, it's tuition dollars, and I can't imagine parents will be pleased about that.
The University of Maryland College Park is the "flagship" of the Maryland state university system. which includes 12 total institutions, including three HBCUs and several schools that used to be teachers colleges. Salisbury University and Towson University are the two that you can't immediately tell are state schools by the name unless you are old enough to remember them as Towson State and Salisbury State. The rest either have state or University of Maryland in the title.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:33 AM

Thanks Sen
Old 03-13-2024, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

This came very shortly after the Kappa Sigma pledge at UVA was placed in a medical coma after falling backwards down their cellar stairs and sustaining a serious head injury. The two schools are in neighboring states and UMD may have panicked upon hearing about the news,especially if there was any chatter about hazing at UMD.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I *think* that University of Pennsylvania is the only school which is University of <state name> that is private and isn't a name created to trick people. (I saw a fake "University of West Virginia" at one point.)

And in regards to the other comment, although there are 12 separately accredited institutions in the University System of Maryland, there are a few that are non-standard enough that I wouldn't expect a stereotypical greek system. But lacking any other descriptor, when they say University of Maryland, they are referring to the flagship school in College Park Maryland.

Last edited by naraht; 03-13-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Funny thing - Bloomsburg hired an outside consulting firm before they kicked our Greek organizations out. It didn't tell them anything they didn't already know except that alumni were willing to help the chapters. The funny thing is that since they kicked everyone off, the national sororities are flourishing! Word on the street is that Bloomsburg wants to get back into the Greek Life business, but we'll see how that goes.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
The funny thing is that since they kicked everyone off, the national sororities are flourishing!
I am comfortable with a world in which Greek life doesn't require university recognition or access to university benefits.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Just posted in the University of Maryland Greek Life alumni from the 1980s FB group that I belong to. There have been ongoing discussions on this issue in the group.

Filed by KA, OX, ASP & ATO.
Suit filed in district court against Maryland to lift cease and desist. Check news services. Should be up soon.

(COLLEGE PARK, MD) - A group of students and fraternities are petitioning U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland for a temporary restraining order against administrators at the state's flagship university for their
"decision to unilaterally suspend normal Chapter operations without any suggestion of actual wrongdoing, coupled with the imposition of an ambiguous, vague and overly broad notice that has indefinitely suspended every single Chapter's unrestricted ability to operate, runs afoul to basic notions of due process."
The temporary restraining order would bar the University of Maryland from implementing restrictions on ordinary social and philanthropic activity that administrators outlined in a March 1, 2024, letter addressed to all
"Interfraternity and
Panhellenic Association
Member Organizations."
The notice also demanded that students comply with an open-ended investigation, absent any specific allegations about individuals or their affiliations, or face disciplinary retribution from the university.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 03-13-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone responded to the post with this, lol:

If the restraining order is not granted, this car may need to make an appearance at the College Park parade on May 4th!