GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,317
5 members and 1,312 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

ahhh, but the Greek Life websites are run by the University's Panhel office which downplays how important recs are at centain schools. They don't want to worry mamas. Which is fine, but if you can help your daughter/PNM have a better recruitment, why wouldn't you? IMO and experience, Panhel offices are frequently populated by academics who did NOT go Greek, have to deal with problems caused by Greeks (diciplinary issues) and sometimes are not as pro-Greek as they should be...Just my crabby--but knowledgeable--opinion .
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlphaPhi View Post
Does anyone have any input on Canadian schools? I know Greek life isn't nearly as big as it is in the U.S. (in general; I can't speak for particular schools), but it'd be interesting to know.
I have worked directly with our chapters at U of T, UWO and Dalhousie and know that recs are extremely rare at all 3. They are definitely not needed. Some chapters probably wouldn't know what to do with them if they received them! It would definitely make a girl stand out..lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmomjo View Post
ahhh, but the Greek Life websites are run by the University's Panhel office which downplays how important recs are at centain schools. They don't want to worry mamas. Which is fine, but if you can help your daughter/PNM have a better recruitment, why wouldn't you? IMO and experience, Panhel offices are frequently populated by academics who did NOT go Greek, have to deal with problems caused by Greeks (diciplinary issues) and sometimes are not as pro-Greek as they should be...Just my crabby--but knowledgeable--opinion .
They downplay the importance of recs because it is NPC policy that PNMs are not responsible for them. That said, many schools do NOT follow NPC policy and they ARE required to get a fair shot in recruitment, hence the need for this thread.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
IMO and experience, Panhel offices are frequently populated by academics who did NOT go Greek, have to deal with problems caused by Greeks (disciplinary issues) and sometimes are not as pro-Greek as they should be...Just my crabby--but knowledgeable--opinion.
So in other words, the sneaky academics are trying to destroy the Greek system by not telling women they need recs? That doesn't even make sense, as it does nothing to lessen the amount of women interested in the Greek system. As Dee said, Panhellenic cannot say anything one way or the other because you truly do not need recs to participate in rush (a Panhellenic function). How they are utilized is each sorority's private business.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes I think with a deferred rush recs are even MORE of a big help--actives do rush "work" that first semester at many strong-Greek-system schools, and they go thru pictures and recs so you can "watch for" those girls on campus. I know they can find a pic on your facebook if an alum hasn't sent one in wtih your rec...but wouldn't you rather have that high-quality, studio senior picture be the one they are looking at as they try and learn your name pre-recruitment? (so this is another CLEAN UP YOUR FACEBOOK PLUG TOO)
Old 07-04-2010, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

As an alum who has helped my house on the last day of recruitment, if a girl is still there on the last day and does NOT have a rec form, I can tell you they will have an alumnae member write the rec right there and then in case she does join our house.

It is the getting to the last day part that is hard to do--why wouldn't you try ahead of time to have that slight edge by getting a rec?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
They downplay the importance of recs because it is NPC policy that heli-moms are not responsible for them. That said, many schools do NOT follow NPC policy and they ARE required to get a fair shot in recruitment, hence the need for this thread.
There. I fixed your quote for you.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I've gotten PMs and emails from UNC PNMs and parents concerning recs, so I'd say yes.
You must have them at UNC!!! It's already been mentioned in this thread but some schools use RFM. UNC is one of them. Some houses there have to cut 60% or more of PNM's after Round One. Get a rec to every single chapter!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
Kentucky people, is it really necessary to have recs at the University of Kentucky? I ask because my high school has been sending increasing numbers of women to UK, most of whom go through recruitment. I've volunteered to write recs for the girls I know well, and they were all happy to receive them but made no effort to get recs to other groups. All of the women who've gone through from our hometown at UK have received bids, most to so-called top-tier groups, with few to no recs.
I've had the same scenario play out in my community in KY too. Although the girls with GLO Moms will get recs and be prepared for recruitment. My house has sent me email lists of PNM after rush has started requesting recs. I try to help them, but often I don't have time to get the information and write for all of them. This is a very busy year for me as far as recs. My daughter and many of her friends are rushing at UK. Can't wait to see where they pledge. Most have no GLO family members.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As an alum who has helped my house on the last day of recruitment, if a girl is still there on the last day and does NOT have a rec form, I can tell you they will have an alumnae member write the rec right there and then in case she does join our house.

It is the getting to the last day part that is hard to do--why wouldn't you try ahead of time to have that slight edge by getting a rec?

Read a little more on this site...we've had this discussion before. Not all sororities require a rec to receive a bid. Not every sorority has alumnae writing recs on the last day to make sure their PNMs can get a bid. This, of course, does not diminish the importance of recommendations at competitive schools.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
Kentucky people, is it really necessary to have recs at the University of Kentucky? I ask because my high school has been sending increasing numbers of women to UK, most of whom go through recruitment. I've volunteered to write recs for the girls I know well, and they were all happy to receive them but made no effort to get recs to other groups. All of the women who've gone through from our hometown at UK have received bids, most to so-called top-tier groups, with few to no recs.
I know plenty of sorority women at UK who did not have recs and still had highly successful recruitments. However, as someone who is in state, my friends and I knew girls in lots of chapters. I think recs are very useful for those not in a position like mine. I had recs to every chapter and they only helped.

They're not make or break at UK like at other SEC schools, that's for sure. It is entirely possible to have a great recruitment without them, however, I hesitate to say that because it makes PNMs think that they don't need them at all and that's not true.

Basically, if you have the means/connections to get recs GET THEM!!! But if you don't, you'll be alright as long as you aren't rude/awkward/inappropriate/any of the other recruitment faux pas that GC warns against.

ETA: It is really, really, REALLY rare for a PNM to go through recruitment at UK and go totally bidless. Quota is determined like at other schools, by dividing the number of PNMs attending pref by the number of chapters (12). However, PNMs HAVE TO maximize their options. You hear about girls not going greek because "oh it's so competitive" or "oh I didn't feel a connection with them" when really they're concerned about tiers and drop out when they still have other groups that might want them. This really applies to any school, but it thought it would be good to reiterate.

Last edited by sydney bristow; 07-06-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

So, since you need recs at UNC (even though I've talked to some actives and they said you didn't) how are you supposed to go about getting them? I've tried asking around to everyone I can think of (family, church members, friend's moms) and NO ONE is Greek. I don't want to be at a disadvantage, but I only have 2 recs (out of 10). Any ideas? Should I try to get in touch with UNC panhel (they also pretty much said you're on your own for recs, because they supposedly aren't very important).

Last edited by LizzieBee; 07-06-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBee View Post
So, since you need recs at UNC (even though I've talked to some actives and they said you didn't) how are you supposed to go about getting them? I've tried asking around to everyone I can think of (family, church members, friend's moms) and NO ONE is Greek. I don't want to be at a disadvantage, but I only have 2 recs (out of 10). Any ideas? Should I try to get in touch with UNC panhel (they also pretty much said you're on your own for recs, because they supposedly aren't very important).
Check with your local alumnae panhellenic and see if you can get in touch with someone there. (I believe the site has been linked in this thread before, but the NPC site lists the chapters by state.)
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBee View Post
Do you have an Alumnae Panhellenic in your area?

They are made up of sorority alumnae who often do help PNMs get recs and prep for recruitment.

http://npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/directory.aspx

Check this list out and see if there is one near you. On their website, there's usually info on what you need to do to get some help (you usually have to provide them with a very specific packet of info about you and your accomplishments).

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
recs and alum letters of support contribute to what my house calls "pre-rush score"--(grades, community service, high school involvement contribute too)
Nononononono this is bordering on membership selection and although I don't know which group you belong to I KNOW they wouldn't want this posted on a message board...
Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Violet,

I just checked all the sites in my state (there wasn't one in my direct area) and none of them seem to provide any relevant information about recs. In fact, only 1 website worked and it didn't provide any contact information. Any other suggestions?