GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 787
2 members and 785 guests
indygphib

Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Family Weekend ideas!

Hey girls!

I just wanted to say first how happy I am that I found this greekchat. Afterall, the greatest resource we can have for new ideas for each of our chapters is eachother, right?

I was just wondering if any of you had ideas from your chapters previous family weekend, such as what events you held and any t-shirt ideas you may have?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa_UCF View Post
I was just wondering if any of you had ideas from your chapters previous family weekend, such as what events you held and any t-shirt ideas you may have?
I think I saw pictures of a shirt someone had from a family weekend. It said something like "Proud mom/dad of a Kappa". *Shrug* Sorry if that wasn't very helpful.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I have only heard of Mom's or Dad's Weekend, but Parents' Weekend could be fun, too! Mom's Weekend usually includes a brunch or a tea at the house. Dad's Weekend can include a father/daughter golf event, bowling, etc. Being in Orlando, you have lots of local restaurants and attractions to go to. It doesn't have to be complicated - most parents just love the excuse to come into town and spend some time with their daughter.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter held a Parent's weekend last spring. On Saturday we had a big BBQ. Each family brought a home cooked/family recipe dish and everyone just hung around and chatted. My sisters and I also sang some of our cutesy Kappa songs for our parents. =] And on Sunday we had a Brunch we're we gave out awards to each sister. I got "most likely to cheer you up." And others got things like.. "best key sisters," "most athletic," "the three amigos." I hope that helps. =] Oh and I don't have a picture of our shirts, but I do have a picture of our sheet sign that we hung at the house, which looks exactly like our tshirts.
http://i30.tinypic.com/30wlf7p.jpg instead of "welcome parents" the shirts say "now you know where we got it from!"
Old 07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been a while, but I think family weekends went something like this:
FRIDAY: Big/Little night. Plan something with one or two other families for dinner or an evening activity. This is a chance for your family to get to know another family better.
SATURDAY: Formal Presentation Brunch where the different areas of kappa are highlighted (Scholarship, the new member process, alumnae, etc) while everyone eats, parents are asked to save their questions for the evening. A song is sung at the beginning and at the end. Some awards given at this time as well, which is nice for the parents to see.
Then the afternoon is filled with old-fashioned games like tossing a water balloon back and forth between you and your sibling or parent, things like that, and one "family race" where you tie everyone in your family's ankles together for a variation on a three-legged race, only it has to be everyone in your group. All sisters w/o families present are one long, tied-together team. Really, you could play whatever games you wanted to do or set it up like a mini-carnival.
The day ends with everyone together for a BBQ dinner, followed by the siblings doing a non-alcoholic, lots of dancing sort of mixer with a fraternity also having their family weekend. Most of the kids were 10-17 and thought college was like a big night club. (ha ha) While the siblings were doing that, the parents had a meeting from 7-9 with the Advisory and House Boards to get info and ask questions.
Sunday: Be with your family for the day, all kappa meetings cancelled, etc.

As far as T-shirts go, I remember someone doing something where at the outdoor games on Saturday, those who wanted to make one could bring a plain white shirt in their size. The Everyone in your family used their feet and hands with fabric paint to make an owl somehow. I think you use the footprints to make the bottom where the feathers are in dark blue and then the sides of both hands each holding a "O" shape in light blue to make the head or something. It was a cute idea, though I can't remember how exactly it worked. I'm sure you crafty ones can figure it out, though!

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

our t-shirts said " the next best thing to being a kappa is having one as a daughter".

we did chapter awards so the parents could see the awards given. We gave a total of 10 - 12 awards, including sisterhood awards, scholastic awards and advisory board awards.