GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,262
3 members and 1,259 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get this guy. It's not like it's 1800 something and a group of girls need some fraternity member or professor to help them create a sorority because at the time, there were few women on campus or female social outlets.

The women in the NPC have been doing just fine for the past century and don't need some "boy" to guide them along in the process.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

At first, because of the OP's post on the "Greeks dating GDI" thread, I thought he was motivated to get Kappa to Murray State so that he would still be able to keep his girlfriend. Then he said he was gay. Now, I'm with you. I don't get his motivation. Whatevs. It was fun telling him he was wrong repeatedly.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would an alleged interest group interested in Kappa Kappa Gamma be wrong in following one of Kappa Kappa Gamma’s procedures for extension? I suspect that Kappa Kappa Gamma follows NPC guidelines as well.

The following is from the link proved by AZ-AlphaXi regarding Kappa Kappa Gamma’s process on extension.

Quote:
There are two ways to establish a Kappa chapter according to the Fraternity Bylaws:
1. Colonization by membership selection
2. Acceptance of a petition from a qualified group of women
And above that quote, the Kappa Kappa Gamma website alludes to NPC policy.

Quote:
The Extension Committee of the National Panhellenic Conference will assist any campus wishing to add an NPC sorority chapter or establish a Panhellenic system. The Extension Committee will also assist a local sorority wishing to affiliate with Kappa Kappa Gamma or any other National Panhellenic Conference member group.
(The bolding is mine)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how would an alleged interest group interested in Kappa Kappa Gamma be wrong in following one of Kappa Kappa Gamma’s procedures for extension? I suspect that Kappa Kappa Gamma follows NPC guidelines as well.

The following is from the link proved by AZ-AlphaXi regarding Kappa Kappa Gamma’s process on extension.

(The bolding is mine)
No, that's how we go about colonizing.

The wrong part is that you don't start with Kappa (it's even on Kappa's website). You start with Panhellenic. There's a link on Kappa's page to this site:

http://www.npcwomen.org/extension-info.aspx

Here's some text (bold is mine) for you from the linked site for you to reflect on, which has been reiterated throughout this thread.

The NPC Extension Committee acts as the clearinghouse for both colleges and NPC groups by monitoring the development and/or extension of Panhellenic communities according to NPC extension protocol. This protocol is based on binding agreements followed by all 26 NPC member groups. It is critical to note that NPC groups will colonize only at appropriately accredited, bachelor degree-granting colleges and universities if permission has been granted by what we term the “Proper Authority.” The identity of the Proper Authority depends on the particular situation and is described more fully in the materials available for download. The NPC Extension Committee serves to verify that the Proper Authority has granted permission and is also available to advise and assist in the various approaches of establishing chapters of NPC member groups. As you begin the extension process, it's important to understand the basic terminology. Please download the Glossary of Terms for more information.

If Murray State is open for expansion, organizations who are interested are going to be given the opportunity to present to Panhellenic. Panhellenic will then vote to see who will colonize.

There's also evidence that Murray State is not in need of another NPC org. The OP also admitted that his friend likely got cut from the group she wanted to join and is interested in starting her own group because the existing orgs aren't up to snuff. A group of 18 women at a school of the size of Murray State (where Greek life is only 10% of the student population) could completely turn around an organization and their campus reputation if they wanted to.

Finally, it's just freaking weird for a dude to be this interested in getting a sorority started.

Last edited by amIblue?; 01-11-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Finally, it's just freaking weird for a dude to be this interested in getting a sorority started.
^^^THIS. I also think that there is a bizarre plumenchilada vibe to this person's posts.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Getting Kappa Kappa Gamma (or *any* NPC), yes.

For some of the groups which are more paired with each other, it doesn't seem quite as wierd to me. I can easily imagine a Phi Beta Sigma brother wanting to bring Zeta Phi Beta on campus. Or a Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia trying to bring Sigma Alpha Iota. Or 40 years ago, an Alpha Phi Omega brother trying to being Gamma Sigma Sigma or Omega Phi Alpha. None of those apply here of course.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Not a gay joke though, right?
Geez... sorry to have caused offense. No, I was not making a gay slur. I was just thinking that this guy seems AWFULLY invested, bordering on obsessed, with this whole thing. I am sure that KKG has had her fill of wackos in the past. They don't need another one.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

(The bolding is mine)
The point was that a group of women cannot just call up an NPC sorority and invite them to campus. It's not like buying a McDonald's franchise. They have to go through the NPC expansion procedure.

If there are two or more NPC sororities on campus then the campus Panhel has to vote to accept another NPC sorority on campus. After that happens, NPC groups will send letters of interest and will make presentations regarding expansion.

Last edited by KDCat; 01-11-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

(The bolding is mine)
If there are two or more NPC sororities on campus then the campus Panhel has to vote to accept another NPC sorority on campus.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
The point was that a group of women cannot just call up an NPC sorority and invite them to campus. It's not like buying a McDonald's franchise. They have to go through the NPC expansion procedure.

If there are two or more NPC sororities on campus then the campus Panhel has to vote to accept another NPC sorority on campus. After that happens, NPC groups will send letters of interest and will make presentations regarding expansion.
Quote:
If there are two or more NPC sororities on campus then the campus Panhel has to vote to accept another NPC sorority on campus.
Thanks. I do understand this. However, it seems that the NPC expansion procedure does allow a group of women to “request” (for lack of a better work) affiliation with a specific NPC sorority.

For example, under “Extension Information” listed on the NPC website, one of the "Inquiry Type" options is “I am a member of a local sorority/interest group that would like to pursue affiliation with an NPC group.” If it applies to the person's group making the inquiry, then they could continue to seek affiliation. If not, well it ends there.

In the Expansion Threads, there are posts noting NPC extensions where the local group wanted to affiliate with one specific NPC group. And there are NPC sorority members on Greek Chat who have discussed that their campus group petitioned (for lack of a better term) only one NPC sorority. So it has happed before.

I suspect these groups followed NPC protocol – contacted the campus panhellenic, college administration for approval. Also requesting and receiving approval by the NPC sorority HQ as well as the NPC Extension Committee. Maybe not in that order, but at some point, these groups signed off on the affiliation.

I understand this route to NPC affiliation is not the norm. However, as rigid as some may feel the NPC might be regarding affiliation, it seems like the NPC is willing to be flexible in certain situations.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM

This usually happens with groups that are religious interest or that have another sort of vested interest (i.e. 3 of the people in the interest group are members of ABC who transferred from another college and they're trying to start a new ABC chapter).

I mean if a group is calling themselves Epsilon Phi Alpha and they're all Jewish, any other NPC is probably going to get out of the way, no matter how desirable the campus is, because it's obvious what the group is looking for. If all a group can say about why they want a certain sorority is what the OP has outlined in his original post, that's usually not enough to 1) make other NPCs get out of the way or 2) impress the group they want enough to make them overlook any questions or issues they might have with the IG/college panhellenic/campus in general.

In other words, pinning all your hopes on one NPC is counterproductive and stupid. A lot of times women think "XYZ is at Big State U. If we bring XYZ here to Moo Cow College, it will create the kind of Greek life they have at Big State U." It just doesn't work that way.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

TSteven - You're also assuming that the NPC organization wants to be at the school.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I suspect these groups followed NPC protocol – contacted the campus panhellenic, college administration for approval. Also requesting and receiving approval by the NPC sorority HQ as well as the NPC Extension Committee. Maybe not in that order, but at some point, these groups signed off on the affiliation.
The key, though, is that all of those groups have to agree. It's not up to the PNMs. I just watched the expansion process at Washington University in St. Louis. After the sororities made their presentation, the Expansion Committee voted, and then the faculty/administration voted, and then Panhel voted. All of those groups had to agree before a group was invited to colonize.

To me, the real wildcard was the faculty/administration approval. Faculty/adminstration have their own ideas and do their own thing sometimes. The faculty at my brother's college refused campus recognition for Campus Crusade for Christ, but allowed the same group of students to affliate with InterVarsity. It's still a mystery to me. I could totally see a campus administration deciding it would rather have one philanthropy over another, or one member development program over another, or rather have a historically Jewish sorority over a historically Christian sorority for diversity reasons.

Quote:
In other words, pinning all your hopes on one NPC is counterproductive and stupid.
It's the same as regular recruitment. You really limit your chances of success if you have preconceived notions about what groups are acceptable and you limit yourself to only one choice.

Last edited by KDCat; 01-12-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The key, though, is that all of those groups have to agree. It's not up to the PNMs. I just watched the expansion process at Washington University in St. Louis. After the sororities made their presentation, the Expansion Committee voted, and then the faculty/administration voted, and then Panhel voted. All of those groups had to agree before a group was invited to colonize.

To me, the real wildcard was the faculty/administration approval. Faculty/adminstration have their own ideas and do their own thing sometimes. The faculty at my brother's college refused campus recognition for Campus Crusade for Christ, but allowed the same group of students to affliate with InterVarsity. It's still a mystery to me. I could totally see a campus administration deciding it would rather have one philanthropy over another, or one member development program over another, or rather have a historically Jewish sorority over a historically Christian sorority for diversity reasons.

It's the same as regular recruitment. You really limit your chances of success if you have preconceived notions about what groups are acceptable and you limit yourself to only one choice.
Thanks. And I do understand 100%. I just wanted to point out that the NPC supports this "type" of extension as well. And while it may not be the norm, it is allowed. That is *if* all groups agree.

Quote:
TSteven - You're also assuming that the NPC organization wants to be at the school.
No, I am not assuming that at all. I made sure to include "Also requesting and receiving approval by the NPC sorority HQ" as part of the NPC protocol.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks. And I do understand 100%. I just wanted to point out that the NPC supports this "type" of extension as well. And while it may not be the norm, it is allowed. That is *if* all groups agree.

No, I am not assuming that at all. I made sure to include "Also requesting and receiving approval by the NPC sorority HQ" as part of the NPC protocol.
Yes, we do. That's how AOII got back our chapter at Youngstown by colonizing the Alpha Omega Pi sorority there. We wanted to go back, so it was a good fit. It wouldn't be the same for this case, however, (so OP don't get your hopes up for KKG) since there was no prior Kappa chapter, and the local group isn't headed by Kappas from another campus.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!