GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 644
0 members and 644 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Phi got 32
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you think maybe they just had a "bad" recruitment. I have seen fabulous PNMs at Ole Miss who have been released because they were just having a bad day or they didn't impress the sorority member who picked them. Believe it or not there are PNMs with awesome grades, great looks, personality, etc who just don't impress. I hate to be negative but it does happen. Also, isn't this the first Formal Recruitment since Kappa Alpha Theta left USM? I know after ZTA left Ole Miss in 1999, recruitment in fall 2000 was rather strange because of having one less sorority.

Ole Miss suggests this: "***You must have a final, cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to register for Recruitment (This does not guarantee placement with a 2.5 GPA)"
Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

TupeloHoney a friend who is a Pi Phi advisor she said 37 New Members?!?!?!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

OleMissGlitter, Kappa Alpha Theta was closed just prior to recruitment last year, so this is the second year there has been one less sorority.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Tupelo Honey did your niece pledge a group at USM? Congratulations to all of the chapters on their new pledges.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMAnchorGirl View Post
OleMissGlitter, Kappa Alpha Theta was closed just prior to recruitment last year, so this is the second year there has been one less sorority.
Ahhh, thanks. I couldn't remember if it was prior or after recruitment last year.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

USM recruitment

I believe that freshman quota was 28, and upperclassman quota was 5 for a total of 33.

Last year freshman quota was 23 and upperclassman quota was 3.

Congratulations to all!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, she got Pi Phi which was not her 1st choice after the first day house visits, but after visiting the house a few more times and meeting more sisters she is now VERY happy and content with where she was placed!! I think she will have a wonderful experience and make some fabulous new friends.

I hope her experience goes to show other PNM, many times you are placed where you belong, you just don't realize it right away

Mom2girls, I heard many went home, about 60 girls? May just be a rumor though. My niece considered going home after her favorites cut her, but she began to feel an affinity for Pi Phi and is now relieved she hung in there (but is was very close LOL).
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

TupeloHoney, check your private messages!

And yay for a new Pi Phi!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

At least Southern Miss now places all women who make it through pref and maximize their options.

In past years there were those rare instances in which PNMs made it through pref, maximized their options, only to be cut during the bid matching process. Now THAT is a brutal outcome to recruitment.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

That was unfortunately pretty common back in my SEC days, even for legacies. At Arkansas, both my roommate (a legacy) and another cheerleader went to the maximum parties possible and they still got the dreaded phone call.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
Yes, she got Pi Phi which was not her 1st choice after the first day house visits, but after visiting the house a few more times and meeting more sisters she is now VERY happy and content with where she was placed!! I think she will have a wonderful experience and make some fabulous new friends.

I hope her experience goes to show other PNM, many times you are placed where you belong, you just don't realize it right away

Mom2girls, I heard many went home, about 60 girls? May just be a rumor though. My niece considered going home after her favorites cut her, but she began to feel an affinity for Pi Phi and is now relieved she hung in there (but is was very close LOL).
A few of my classmates from high school are MS Alpha Pi Beta Phi alumnae. Great chapter. One of them is an advisor now for them too. So she is in really good hands!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to take the opportunity to THANK USM's "wonderful" greek life. As a greek alum, I loved my greek experience. Not so, my cousin. She rushed this past week and left heartbroken. She was not sure if she would rush after graduating h.s., but a couple of sorority girls decided to make her their pet project. They had "sisters" friend her on FB, hung out with her group, and pursued her all summer. They had a poster in this sorority on her activities and grades (which are excellent, btw). She graduated Cum Laude in Honors, is a scholarship receipient to USM and her resume is about five pages long. She is beautiful, funny and never meets a stranger. However, all the sororities cut her (including the THREE she was a legacy to - grandmother, mother and two aunts) the night of pref because this sorority spread the word she was pledging them. I understand they did not promise anything; however, she liked one of the others best. Thanks, greek life at USM. This gives a new meaning to "dirty rush". I am sure my cousin will go on to be a great attribute to USM; and not miss a minute of the horrible women in this one sorority. I do think she would have been a great fit at the one she loved, but the bad one was so focused on numbers that they ruined it for both. I hope you receive the same consideration when you go for your first job interview or maybe when your child decides to rush.

Last edited by greekmom3; 08-12-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmom3 View Post
Just wanted to take the opportunity to THANK USM's "wonderful" greek life. As a greek alum, I loved my greek experience. Not so, my cousin. She rushed this past week and left heartbroken. She was not sure if she would rush after graduating h.s., but a couple of sorority girls decided to make her their pet project. They had "sisters" friend her on FB, hung out with her group, and pursued her all summer. They had a poster in this sorority on her activities and grades (which are excellent, btw). She graduated Cum Laude in Honors, is a scholarship receipient to USM and her resume is about five pages long. She is beautiful, funny and never meets a stranger. However, all the sororities cut her (including the THREE she was a legacy to - grandmother, mother and two aunts) the night of pref because this sorority spread the word she was pledging them. I understand they did not promise anything; however, she liked one of the others best. Thanks, greek life at USM. This gives a new meaning to "dirty rush". I am sure my cousin will go on to be a great attribute to USM; and not miss a minute of the horrible women in this one sorority. I do think she would have been a great fit at the one she loved, but the bad one was so focused on numbers that they ruined it for both. I hope you receive the same consideration when you go for your first job interview or maybe when your child decides to rush.
First off, I am sorry to hear that your cousin did not receive a bid.

However, I like to caution people against accusing chapters of "dirty rush" because a particular girl didn't get a bid.

Also, just a note, legiacies are never guaranteed bids in any situation. It's also worth considering that there are probably many PNMs at USM with similar stats.

It's also difficult to speculate about the reason someone was released, because that's just not something you know unless you were there and are a member of that chapter.

I realize that this is all probably info that you're hearing from the cousin, but she can't say for sure why she was cut either.

I do hope that she goes on to enjoy college though.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmom3 View Post
That sounds like a movie plot. I don't even understand all that.

How do you know for sure that they told the other sororities that?

Last edited by BlueCarnation; 08-12-2009 at 11:48 AM.