GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,066
2 members and 1,064 guests
No Members online

Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

College Drop-Outs

There may already be a thread on this, but I couldn't find one ... random question I was wondering about:

In your organization (assuming you're in an organization which only accepts members at four-year institutions), what happens if an initiated member leaves school without completing their degree? Do they forfeit their lifetime membership, or do they keep it?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:54 PM

As long as they were in good standing, they'd automatically receive alumna status.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM

She's an alumna. If she ever returns to the same school or another school with an ASA chapter to finish her degree, she can become an active member again if she so chooses (but it's not mandatory).
Old 12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't recall seeing anything in my organization's national documents that addresses this. At my chapter, however, there is a bylaw that states if you're inactive (and you have to be enrolled to be active) for 2 consecutive semesters, you're placed on suspension. If, after your suspension is complete, you are inactive again, you are expelled.

My chapter does, however, recognize some members as "active inactives." They pay lower dues and still help out somewhat, but they don't receive all the benefits of being an active brother.

ETA: consecutive

Last edited by knight_shadow; 12-30-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

In SAE, a member is automatically granted alumnus status whenever he ceases to be an active member of the chapter by which he was initiated, except in the event he transfers to another undergraduate school and affiliates with that chapter.

Where a transferred student is concerned, he is only eligible for the benefits of active membership in the new chapter provided he was in good standing at his prior chapter and presents the appropriate documentation, but is nevertheless under the jurisdiction of the new chapter immediately upon enrollment in the new campus. Other minor conditions apply, but that's the gist of it anyway. The affiliate would then become an alumnus upon graduation or otherwise leaving school.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
In SAE, a member is automatically granted alumnus status whenever he ceases to be an active member of the chapter by which he was initiated, except in the event he transfers to another undergraduate school and affiliates with that chapter.

Where a transferred student is concerned, he is only eligible for the benefits of active membership in the new chapter provided he was in good standing at his prior chapter and presents the appropriate documentation, but is nevertheless under the jurisdiction of the new chapter immediately upon enrollment in the new campus. Other minor conditions apply, but that's the gist of it anyway. The affiliate would then become an alumnus upon graduation or otherwise leaving school.
i'm actually pretty set on SAE at south carolina, i plan on transferring to uva junior year. so all i need is proof of good standing at the sc chapter to be considered a full brother at uva assuming i went through the entire pledge process?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky SC View Post
i'm actually pretty set on SAE at south carolina, i plan on transferring to uva junior year. so all i need is proof of good standing at the sc chapter to be considered a full brother at uva assuming i went through the entire pledge process?
That depends on whether or not you're initiated by the SC chapter prior to transferring. If you're initiated before leaving the first university, then you'll be an active member and will be eligible for transfer/affiliation to the UVA chapter. On the other hand, even if you complete your pledge process but you're not actually initiated before you transfer, you'll still be considered a pledge and may or may not be required to complete another pledge process at UVA prior to being initiated. In such a case, you'd be considered a regular member of the UVA chapter, as opposed to an affiliated member. PM me with any further questions you may have. In either case, good luck!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
As long as they were in good standing, they'd automatically receive alumna status.
With ADPi, also. If they've met their obligations, they may transfer into another chapter, but that's up to each individual chapter.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
That depends on whether or not you're initiated by the SC chapter prior to transferring. If you're initiated before leaving the first university, then you'll be an active member and will be eligible for transfer/affiliation to the UVA chapter. On the other hand, even if you complete your pledge process but you're not actually initiated before you transfer, you'll still be considered a pledge and may or may not be required to complete another pledge process at UVA prior to being initiated. In such a case, you'd be considered a regular member of the UVA chapter, as opposed to an affiliated member. PM me with any further questions you may have. In either case, good luck!
oh ok cool, yea thats what i meant assuming i was innitiated. That sounds like the norm with most fraternities, i was just hoping SAE didn't have some wierd way of doing it.

btw, nice on going through at the Alpha at alabama, i bet that was fun lol... i'm a GA boy so i got a lot of friends who went to bama and say they are pretty intense there
Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
With ADPi, also. If they've met their obligations, they may transfer into another chapter, but that's up to each individual chapter.
My twin had to drop out and I think she is a Pi/alumna now.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

In AOII, if you dropped out of school, you were an alumna as long as you were paid up. We had one woman in my pledge class flunk out of school, and she still owed dues. She came back for homecoming and expected to be treated like an alum-- she was surprised when she was met by the treasurer asking her for money, but once she paid her back dues she was given full alumna status.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
There may already be a thread on this, but I couldn't find one ... random question I was wondering about:

In your organization (assuming you're in an organization which only accepts members at four-year institutions), what happens if an initiated member leaves school without completing their degree? Do they forfeit their lifetime membership, or do they keep it?
In Alpha, college drop-outs are allowed to affiliate with alumni chapters.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post

any undergraduate member of Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity who leaves school for any reasons are considered alumni.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!