GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,256
1 members and 2,255 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Bluebonnet Mom's 2008 Texas Daughter Recruitment Thread

Well next week my freshman daughter will be going through rush at a competitive Texas school. We were so glad to find this site, as it provides information you can't find anywhere else.

I won't go on about how beautiful, intelligent, involved, blah, blah, blah she is. (Of course as her mom I believe this!) Let's face it 95% of the girls going through rush here have all this and then some. I promise not to hover or whine!

My daughter's friends, who will be scattered throughout the state, have no desire to go through rush and have given her some flak for it. She hasn't let this change her mind, though. A big reason for her wanting to do this is that she knows so few people at this school, and she likes the idea of making lots of new friends and having social activities to attend.

This spring she got busy getting her own recs ( I thought that showed she was really committed). What she lacked, family members were able to help her get by contacting friends and coworkers. So now she has at least one rec to every sorority.

One advantage she has is that she doesn't know any Greeks there so there are no preconceived notions. She's doesn't know who the "top houses" are or what the various reputations are. Frankly she doesn't really care. She's not into the "gotta get to the top house" mentality. She also won't pledge a house she doesn't feel comfortable in just to wear Greek letters. Pretty level headed kid.

This same issue is also her biggest disadvantage. As with many things in life, your friends and social connections can really help. Not knowing anyone there, she won't have anyone pulling for her. Maybe this won't be as big an issue for freshman girls - I really don't know. All she wants is to find a group of girls she can feel at home with.

I hope to be able to post during rush week, but daughter has 2 modes lately: 1. Chatty 2. "I don't want to talk about it" . Your guess is as good as mine as to which we be around next week .Probably a combination of both. As this will be stressful for her, I won't push for details. So I may have to post after it's all over and she is more talkative. Keep her in your thoughts next week. God knows, I'm going to be a nervous wreck when we drop her off to school!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Unregistered-

Good for her for not listening to the nay-sayers and for doing the footwork before rush. She sounds like she's very well prepared!

Good luck to Bluebonnet Daughter!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome and good luck!

Are you also Greek?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Mom View Post
Well next week my freshman daughter will be going through rush at a competitive Texas school. We were so glad to find this site, as it provides information you can't find anywhere else.

I won't go on about how beautiful, intelligent, involved, blah, blah, blah she is. (Of course as her mom I believe this!) Let's face it 95% of the girls going through rush here have all this and then some. I promise not to hover or whine!

My daughter's friends, who will be scattered throughout the state, have no desire to go through rush and have given her some flak for it. She hasn't let this change her mind, though. A big reason for her wanting to do this is that she knows so few people at this school, and she likes the idea of making lots of new friends and having social activities to attend.

This spring she got busy getting her own recs ( I thought that showed she was really committed). What she lacked, family members were able to help her get by contacting friends and coworkers. So now she has at least one rec to every sorority.

One advantage she has is that she doesn't know any Greeks there so there are no preconceived notions. She's doesn't know who the "top houses" are or what the various reputations are. Frankly she doesn't really care. She's not into the "gotta get to the top house" mentality. She also won't pledge a house she doesn't feel comfortable in just to wear Greek letters. Pretty level headed kid.

This same issue is also her biggest disadvantage. As with many things in life, your friends and social connections can really help. Not knowing anyone there, she won't have anyone pulling for her. Maybe this won't be as big an issue for freshman girls - I really don't know. All she wants is to find a group of girls she can feel at home with.

I hope to be able to post during rush week, but daughter has 2 modes lately: 1. Chatty 2. "I don't want to talk about it" . Your guess is as good as mine as to which we be around next week .Probably a combination of both. As this will be stressful for her, I won't push for details. So I may have to post after it's all over and she is more talkative. Keep her in your thoughts next week. God knows, I'm going to be a nervous wreck when we drop her off to school!
I like your daughter. She is an exemplary PNM. Good luck to her!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to your well-balanced Bluebonnet Daughter! I hope that she gets the bid she wants and loves the house she bids!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter! She sounds very level-headed and like a wonderful PNM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I can't wait to read her story!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck texas daughter!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I am excited for this story!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck to your daughter! My daughter is going through rush right now at a school where she knew all of 3 people, so like your daughter, there were no pre conceived notions. You'll be surprised at how quickly they make friends through dorms and rush groups, and it turns into 6 degrees of separation I haven't heard from her yet today, but so far she is having a great time and adjusting to college well. I think she just needs sleep. Can't wait for your thread!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Miss Blue!

And to Lamplighter: Been there, done that-and got through it! Last year my daughter experienced rush for the first time on the other side. This year, she's on Panhellenic, and in charge of all the Rho Gammas.

I do hope that your daughter ends up in a Greek home that she will thoroughly enjoy. And, as a mom-hugs to you!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelleADPi View Post
Go Miss Blue!

And to Lamplighter: Been there, done that-and got through it! Last year my daughter experienced rush for the first time on the other side. This year, she's on Panhellenic, and in charge of all the Rho Gammas.

I do hope that your daughter ends up in a Greek home that she will thoroughly enjoy. And, as a mom-hugs to you!
Thank you! Still haven't heard from her today, but I keep thinking that's good. There is one other girl from her HS there, so you can imagine that the other mother and I have both been on pins and needles since all we can compare this to is rush at our alma mater, which is brutal. But both girls are having a ball and have had a good rush so far. Actually, she's loving everything about everything That's all a parent can hope for!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

OH a Texas Rush!!! Good luck to her! I know a bunch of girls who are both rushing and going through rush next week.

I can tell you that the girls rushing (or recruiting) are excited and nervous as well! Tell your daughter to be herself and let her personality shine!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter (and you). Your post is very insightful and thoughtful.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so excited for a Texas rush thread!! I'll be helping out with one soon