GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,501
1 members and 1,500 guests
speedsters

Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Campus Involvement?

Hi everyone! I'm a freshman and plan on going through formal recruitment in the spring! I'm equal parts excited and nervous. No one in my family is greek, so I've been doing lots and lots of reading here on GC to get me up to speed on what to expect! My question involves clubs/activities on campus...specifically, my lack of them. I haven't really joined any organizations on campus yet, as I wanted to spend my first semester adjusting to college life and focusing on classes and my grades. I didn't want to overwhelm myself! Is that going to hurt my chances at recruitment? If it's any help, I was very involved in high school (somewhere between 300-400 hours of volunteer work, plus several honors societies and clubs) and got great grades! I just don't want the sororities to think that I'm not going to be an active member of campus, because I fully intend to be, but I just wanted to give myself a little time to acclimate to my new home. Do you think this will be a big detriment to my chances? Thank you guys in advance!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Short version -yes. This is one reason I dislike deferred recruitment. Think about what your conversations first round will be like -
Suzy Sorority "don't you love State U? What do you like to do?"
You "well I used to, I once did - but I haven't for almost a year..."
"I've just been studying"

So you haven't met as many women who can introduce you to their friends, and it is less likely that someone will talk about how wonderful you are during recruitment.

Do something. Anything. Join a book club, take a tennis class, hang out with a club about your major. Do Something.

Last edited by HQWest; 11-09-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 PM

This is one reason I like deferred recruitment. You can see who has had the initiative to go out and meet people and get involved rather than depending on a sorority to do it all for them.

You should be acclimated now...so join something.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, it would depend on which school and how competitive it is. If you're at IU and you haven't gotten involved this semester, I'm not sure that I would even bother going through rush. Or go in expecting VERY limited options after round 1. If it's a small school (let's say 5 chapters or fewer, pledges classes less than 30) then they will likely be more open-minded to your situation.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Also, it would depend on which school and how competitive it is. If you're at IU and you haven't gotten involved this semester, I'm not sure that I would even bother going through rush. Or go in expecting VERY limited options after round 1. If it's a small school (let's say 5 chapters or fewer, pledges classes less than 30) then they will likely be more open-minded to your situation.
This. It really depends.

However, it's never too late to get involved. Outside of Greek life, campus clubs and organizations generally "recruit" and welcome members any time during the school year. Do some research, find something you like, and sign up!

@~/~~~~
Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you guys so much for the advice! I'm definitely going to look around and try to find a couple clubs or organizations that interest me that I can join! My school has a significant amount of chapters but I'm not entirely sure how competitive it is. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question
Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My question is this: Have you literally not done anything at all other than go to class and sit around at home? You can have hobbies, study groups, class projects, etc. that you can talk about as far as things you do in your spare time. Being a member of an organization just to throw it on your resume isn't always going to earn you points, depending on the campus. Think about the things you have done with your time. If you truly, truly have not done a single thing all semester but go to class and go home, then you'll want to fix that asap.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
My question is this: Have you literally not done anything at all other than go to class and sit around at home? You can have hobbies, study groups, class projects, etc. that you can talk about as far as things you do in your spare time. Being a member of an organization just to throw it on your resume isn't always going to earn you points, depending on the campus. Think about the things you have done with your time. If you truly, truly have not done a single thing all semester but go to class and go home, then you'll want to fix that asap.
I hadn't thought about it like that! I can promise you I do more than just go to class and go home...that sounds very very boring! I have a group of people in my major that I frequently study with and did a big project with, so I guess that counts for something! I've also done lots of activities on and off campus with the people in my dorm (my RA is very active and loves to arrange for things for all of us to do together!). I'm in a religious group on campus, but I didn't really think about whether or not that counted as an extracurricular. I guess I'm not as lacking in things as I thought I was, and I appreciate your advice!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Religious group as activity- check

Dorm activities-check

Study group-check

They all sound good to me.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you attend the campus football games or other athletics events? Homecoming?

True and Constant
Old 11-10-2014, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Religious group as activity- check

Dorm activities-check

Study group-check

They all sound good to me.
Great! Thank you so much! It's reassuring to know that those things count too! I didn't think those things would be relevant but I'm glad to know they matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Do you attend the campus football games or other athletics events? Homecoming?
Yes and yes! I love football I've gone to all but one or two of the games this season. Homecoming was a huge deal here and I went to some of the events they held on campus!