GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,163
Threads: 114,116
Posts: 2,150,355
Welcome to our newest member, aanntaejnry8202
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 AM
123girl 123girl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Unhappy Why didn't I get a bid?

So I went out for rush in the fall as a jr. but I'm older than than the average jr, which I think is the main reason I didn't get a bid. I'm 24 and transferred into a university from a local college, and most of the girls were fresh out of high school. I missed the opportunity to this right out of high school bc I went to a local college and worked until I knew where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. (I didn't say this) I know a couple of other girls in other groups who were transfers but I was the only one in mine. I also wore a blue keyhole sweater while all the other girls in my group wore sun dresses. The slide show said something like that was okay but I couldn't help feel like I wasn't supposed to dress like I was going for a job interview. I thought the conversations I had with the girls in most of the groups were engaging and nice I talked about leadership roles I had in high school despite it being a while now, my major, trips I'm taking over break, complement them and their house, and asked them general questions about their philanthropys, points, etc. I couldn't help but feel crushed after the first day getting a call saying I didn't get a invite back. While another girl on my floor (whose also a jr.) wore pants as well and didn't even look professional like she just came from class when it was supposed to be a polished day, got two bids. Despite her getting a group I didn't want in the end it just makes me wonder what I did wrong not to even get a bid back on the first day. What makes me feel even worse at one of the pre meetings one girl asked how many girls won't get bids and the gamma chi said we haven't had anyone not get one in a couple of years. What could I have possibly done wrong? I don't think I'm gonna do informal rush bc I was upset when this happened and my friends aren't into Greek life anyway in fact they warned me how dumb they though it was, but it still bothers me bc I was something I wanted to do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girl View Post
So I went out for rush in the fall as a jr. but I'm older than than the average jr, which I think is the main reason I didn't get a bid. I'm 24 and transferred into a university from a local college, and most of the girls were fresh out of high school. I missed the opportunity to this right out of high school bc I went to a local college and worked until I knew where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. (I didn't say this) I know a couple of other girls in other groups who were transfers but I was the only one in mine. I also wore a blue keyhole sweater while all the other girls in my group wore sun dresses. The slide show said something like that was okay but I couldn't help feel like I wasn't supposed to dress like I was going for a job interview. I thought the conversations I had with the girls in most of the groups were engaging and nice I talked about leadership roles I had in high school despite it being a while now, my major, trips I'm taking over break, complement them and their house, and asked them general questions about their philanthropys, points, etc. I couldn't help but feel crushed after the first day getting a call saying I didn't get a invite back. While another girl on my floor (whose also a jr.) wore pants as well and didn't even look professional like she just came from class when it was supposed to be a polished day, got two bids. Despite her getting a group I didn't want in the end it just makes me wonder what I did wrong not to even get a bid back on the first day. What makes me feel even worse at one of the pre meetings one girl asked how many girls won't get bids and the gamma chi said we haven't had anyone not get one in a couple of years. What could I have possibly done wrong? I don't think I'm gonna do informal rush bc I was upset when this happened and my friends aren't into Greek life anyway in fact they warned me how dumb they though it was, but it still bothers me bc I was something I wanted to do.
I'm very sorry that recruitment didn't go well for you. We don't know what happened; we weren't there, and we don't know you or your school, so speculation is pointless. The best I can offer is this: hazarding a guess that none of the chapters you visited saw you as a good fit, for whatever reason(s). That's probably of little comfort to you in your disappointment, and I do hope you'll find other activities to engage in so that this fades into the background. As for informal, that's really your choice. Some women shine in less stressful settings. The pressure cooker of formal recruitment isn't for everyone.
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,893
I'm very sorry you didn't receive any invites after the first day. I won't speculate beyond a personal experience I had as a recruitment adviser. We had a young lady of your age going thru recruitment and the collegians all asked the same question: why would a 24 year old want to hang out with a bunch of 18-19 year olds? If your campus doesn't have a separate upperclass quota, it's really difficult for them to get a bid-esp juniors of your age. They just don't want to use that place for someone who won't be there 4 years. COB might be a better opportunity for you to separate yourself from the "pack." You didn't mention whether you had your recs in order either - also your social media accounts should be up to par!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,101
"Yale student".
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,914
Perhaps, carnation. The thought crossed my mind, too. Especially the "blue keyhole sweater" comment (WTH is that? something a granny would wear?). Let's see if the OP ever comes back, shall we?
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:59 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,101
Same bad grammar and misspellings.
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,914
So maybe not Yale? I'm thinking Stanford.
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Perhaps, carnation. The thought crossed my mind, too. Especially the "blue keyhole sweater" comment (WTH is that? something a granny would wear?). Let's see if the OP ever comes back, shall we?
I thought "keyhole" sweaters, and dresses, and bathing suits were common now?

I'm more concerned with the spelling and grammar. Assuming this is legit, perhaps grades were an issue.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 PM
kitekat kitekat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Perhaps, carnation. The thought crossed my mind, too. Especially the "blue keyhole sweater" comment (WTH is that? something a granny would wear?). Let's see if the OP ever comes back, shall we?
Keyhole cut outs in tops are very trendy right now. It could be appropriate for a house tour or skit day at a school with a more casual and laid-back recruitment.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girl View Post
While another girl on my floor (whose also a jr.) wore pants as well and didn't even look professional like she just came from class when it was supposed to be a polished day, got two bids.
If this was a formal rush with NPC sororities, no girl got two bids. It doesn't work that way.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 PM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,914
Keyhole, okay, trendy; are you talking about the ones I see with holes or cutouts in the shoulders? If so, I didn't know that's what they are called. No, nevermind, I just googled keyhole sweater. Not what I was thinking of at all.

I pictured a high necked sweater with a teardrop shaped cutout at the neckline. Like a granny would wear. I think I've been watching too many PBS British shows (Grantchester in particular).
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Keyhole, okay, trendy; are you talking about the ones I see with holes or cutouts in the shoulders? If so, I didn't know that's what they are called.
Those are called cold shoulder tops or alternately "those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" tops.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:57 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If this was a formal rush with NPC sororities, no girl got two bids. It doesn't work that way.
I think she meant invitations. She got invited back to 2 chapters for round 2. Or that's my interpretation anyway.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Those are called cold shoulder tops or alternately "those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" tops.
Or hoochie mamas in my book!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 AM
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 26,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Those are called cold shoulder tops or alternately "those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" tops.
Yet again, you prove why I am declaring my undying admiration for you, 33! That is definitely signature worthy!


Maybe I missed a post, but a 20-year-old junior doesn't have a lot in common with a 25-year-old junior. That was my take on the lack of invitations.
__________________
~*~ honeychile - ~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"Those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" 33girl
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Didn't get a bid, what should I do? chlorax Fraternity Recruitment 20 10-18-2011 12:55 AM
Didn't get a bid leightonjoe Fraternity Recruitment 6 09-21-2011 04:53 PM
Did he or didn't he? KSigkid Entertainment 1 11-17-2004 09:33 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.