GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,245
2 members and 1,243 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard that once again, there are Facebook groups in which PNMs from certain schools discuss their preferred groups and run down others. Ladies, I don't care if these are secret groups, sorority members DO manage to see them. Pllleeeaase be discreet.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

The summer before my daughter's freshman year many of the PNMs at her school were doing exactly that. "I'm only interested in ABC", or "If I don't get a bid from DEF I'll just die" or even worse, "I hear that GH dirty rushes". The dirty rush story was a mean rumor, and guess what else? The girl only interested in ABC joined another sorority and the girl who said she would die if she didn't get a bid from DEF? Did not like them in the least and ranked them last.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I've heard that once again, there are Facebook groups in which PNMs from certain schools discuss their preferred groups and run down others. Ladies, I don't care if these are secret groups, sorority members DO manage to see them. Pllleeeaase be discreet.
Women in the chapters who have younger sisters may see those posts. Chapter advisors who have daughters in the group may see them. PMNs who are appalled at the sh*t talking may show their friends in the chapters being disrespected, etc. You get the idea. As I am fond of telling my students, "Nothing about the internet is truly private, they don't call it the world wide web for lack of better name."
Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 PM

I said this before, but active sorority members DO lurk here.

They may not post, but they definitely lurk.

That's worth keeping in mind when you come here saying "Well I heard XYZ dirty rushes." or "I am only interested in ABC."

Even if you disguise your school, they can figure it out.

Ex: I might not be able to tell that the SEC school you're describing is Alabama, but someone who goes to Bama can easily determine that. When you say "Well I go to an SEC school and a sorority just had a summer graduation rush party" I have no idea who that could be, but I bet a Bama student could read that and know you're talking about Sigma Phi Bama in two seconds.

There's also the issue of SAYING you will only join XYZ, having other sorority members see it, think you're not interested, and decide that they'll cut you.

These big schools have a finite number of invites already in terms of girls they know from HS, camp, etc. They don't have room for girls they KNOW are saying they want another group.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Bumping for fall PNMs--
Old 05-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
PNMs read this... serious food for thought!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

TTT for 2017!
Old 07-05-2019, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to say - the Panhellenic where my daughter is going through deals with references very well. And by all accounts it is not a competitive Greek system. I do not understand why SEC schools would not say something similar:

"A potential new member recommendation form, also known as a rec, reference or RIF, is a form that a sorority alumna completes for a potential new member introducing her to a chapter.

Recs do not guarantee that you will receive a bid from a chapter. Panhellenic does not have rec forms available and cannot obtain them for potential new members. An alumna may find a rec form in her respective sorority’s magazine, or on the national organization’s website. She can also call the headquarters of her sorority to obtain the form.

Recs are not mandatory for every sorority. However, potential new members are encouraged to secure a rec for each of the chapters participating in recruitment. Recs for each sorority should be sent directly to the chapter, unless otherwise specified on the recommendation form.

All rec letters/forms can be sent to the address below. Please specify to which sorority it should to be delivered."
Old 07-05-2019, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
I have to say - the Panhellenic where my daughter is going through deals with references very well. And by all accounts it is not a competitive Greek system. I do not understand why SEC schools would not say something similar:

"A potential new member recommendation form, also known as a rec, reference or RIF, is a form that a sorority alumna completes for a potential new member introducing her to a chapter.

Recs do not guarantee that you will receive a bid from a chapter. Panhellenic does not have rec forms available and cannot obtain them for potential new members. An alumna may find a rec form in her respective sorority’s magazine, or on the national organization’s website. She can also call the headquarters of her sorority to obtain the form.

Recs are not mandatory for every sorority. However, potential new members are encouraged to secure a rec for each of the chapters participating in recruitment. Recs for each sorority should be sent directly to the chapter, unless otherwise specified on the recommendation form.

All rec letters/forms can be sent to the address below. Please specify to which sorority it should to be delivered."
Obviously you haven't checked out any SEC schools. Alabama's Greek Chic is excellent on this topic and all things Alabama recruitment. Please see page 24. http://www.uapanhellenic.com/greek-c...ruitment-guide
Old 07-05-2019, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Obviously you haven't checked out any SEC schools. [/url]
Sorry - I didn't mean to offend. I was talking about some of the conversation earlier on this thread, like here http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=134607&page=7

And my niece's experience when she went through at USC several years ago, prior to deferred recruitment. So my knowledge was dated. But they are still downplaying references.

From: https://www.uscpanhellenic.com/2020-spring-recruitment
Do you need them?

No! They aren’t necessary, and not having them isn’t a problem. They are intended just a way for chapters to get to know you a little better before they meet you!

​So I did look at one SEC school.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
ME: "Oh, your daughter is going to Texas State? I'd be happy to help get her recommendations."

MOM - "Oh, her sister is an Alpha Delta Pi, so she's going to pledge them. They have to give her a bid. She doesn't need any others."

ME:
So six years later, I am wondering how this panned out.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Me too.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
So six years later, I am wondering how this panned out.
Me too!!!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Sorry - I didn't mean to offend. I was talking about some of the conversation earlier on this thread, like here http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=134607&page=7

And my niece's experience when she went through at USC several years ago, prior to deferred recruitment. So my knowledge was dated. But they are still downplaying references.

From: https://www.uscpanhellenic.com/2020-spring-recruitment
Do you need them?

No! They aren’t necessary, and not having them isn’t a problem. They are intended just a way for chapters to get to know you a little better before they meet you!

​So I did look at one SEC school.
Hmmmm...this link is to the University of Southern California (USC) not the University of South Carolina (also USC)....

Last edited by Titchou; 07-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Fortunately, (FOR HER), she did get a bid to A D Pi but THAT IN NO WAY MEANS YOU, PRECIOUS PNM OR MOM OF A PNM, SHOULD COUNT ON NOT NEEDING RECS!