GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,150
3 members and 2,147 guests
flamboyanttree, oncegreek

Old 12-26-2002, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Talking New AI Thread

Well, I haven't exactly been discreet with my intentions (shows what happens if you don't lurk at GreekChat before posting), but I thought I'd start a thread about my quest for alumnae initiation!

(From this point forward I'm just going to call them ABC and Nu Mu)

At present, I am looking at two organizations in my local area. I have met with the chapter president of ABC, and met the collegiate chapter adviser and members of the alumnae chapter Nu Mu. On New Year's Eve, I'm attending a party thrown by a member of Nu Mu, and in January, I'm attending ABC's Founder's Day tea.

I have to say that I'm absolutely in love with Nu Mu as an international organization! Everything I've read about this group has impressed me from the first. When I met with the rep over coffee, we seemed to click right away - we both have a really droll sense of humor, and she seemed to think that I'd get along with the other members of the chapter quite well. I went to a Christmas dessert party at the home of one of the alumnae members, and let's just say that I don't think that I "clicked" as well as she thought I would. I'm a lot different from the members in the chapter (age difference, cultural difference, from a different country), and I just felt a little out of place. I'm really shy, and when I'm in a group of people I don't know, I'm either a complete motormouth, or I clam up completely. I didn't talk much this night, but I still participated in the conversation and played games whenever I could. I still love the organization as a whole, and the chapter rep who I got along with so well is convinced that it was just an off night. She really wants to see me in Nu Mu letters, and seems to have made it her mission in life to make this happen. In addition to her New Year's Party, she's invited me to one of their chapter meetings in January.

Now on to ABC...I'll be honest here: I had my doubts about them as an undergraduate because of a nasty rumor on my campus that was never confirmed nor denied. But 16 years have passed since then, and I've learned that you can't judge an entire organization by one chapter.

I contacted this group directly -- again, I hadn't checked CutiePie2000's AI advice thread -- and the chapter president responded almost immediately. When we finally met, I have to say that by the end of breakfast, I was completely bowled over by the chapter pres. The passion and enthusiasm she showed for ABC really shone through her words and actions, and she even talked about how the value of ABC didn't really become obvious to her until she became involved as an alum. She discussed the AI process in depth and left me with copies of the fraternity's magazine. I was impressed with how prepared she was, and after doing some research, I've really become impressed with the organization -- especially with the Canadian members I've met on GreekChat and in person. She invited me to their Founders Day tea in January so that I'd get a chance to meet the other members of the chapter. I'm nervous, and I hope it doesn't feel as awkward as the event with Nu Mu, but I'm really looking forward to learning more about ABC and meeting more of the women in the chapter.

So, that's my update. Nu Mu says that if I'm extended an invitation I'll probably be initiated in the Spring: ABC says if I'm invited to join, I'll be initiated in September. I'm really impressed with both of these organizations, and while I do have a favourite, I'm keeping an open mind. They're both very strong in Canada and in the US, although only one has a strong presence in my home state. I'll try to keep you posted on the progress!

Thanks to everyone who has been such a help to me during this process - and for those of you who have "virtually" held my hand when things got tough!
Old 12-26-2002, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck Sistermadly!! I know either organization will benefit from your invlolvement!
Remember to follow your heart...
Old 12-26-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

How exciting for you! Best of luck to you. Your search is really on the move. Mine is reeeealllly slow, but I think part of the slowdown is due to the holidays.
Don't forget to keep us updated.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

WAY TO GO!!!

Sounds like someone got their Christmas (or Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, or New Years?) gifts early!

Way to go! I'm really happy for you! You've got 2 organizations to hit it off with so I don't doubt for a minute you'll find your home before the year is out!

{{{{{}}}}}

Adrienne
Old 12-29-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the support, everyone! I don't know whether this process is going fast or slow, but I think it always feels slower than it really is.

Here's hoping that the rest of us who are pursuing AI find homes in 2003!
Old 12-29-2002, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

SISMADLY, now is the time for all good men/women to come to the aid! Well except for the Hollidays!

As a possible New AI, it does take some time. As you have seen, it takes a lot of work in some cases and TIME! Do Not Give up!

We are in a state of Broke and Depression at the moment after the Hollidays.

PLEASE, keep working on it!

The Best of Luck, YOU have some of the Best behind you in your quest, don't Ya Know!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-29-2002, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Tom! I definitely won't give up.. I'm a very determined lady!
Old 12-29-2002, 07:31 PM

I am so excited that we have another prospective alumna initiate here at GC to hear about and cheer on! I am thrilled for you, Sistermadly and I am looking forward to hearing your updates!
Let us know how the New Years party goes!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

GOOD, FOR YOU,and us as Greeks!!!!!

From Me and all of us!!!!!

Go for the Ring and good luck! We will we be with you in K C or in spitit!!!! \\

OH damn, just got a cull in the nut jar and took a tooth out!!

Oh well sorry about this as is a hurtin Mo Fo Bro!

Will get Drugs soon, I hope, to ease PAIN!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-30-2002, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

OUCH!

How's your tooth, Tom?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Gargled and swished with alcohol for pain killing!

Thanks for the thought!

Put tooth paste and glued it back on for a Temp!

Have Dentist appointment soon!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-31-2002, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Good News/Bad News

Well, I just got some good news and some bad news. First the bad news: The Nu Mu New Year's Eve party was cancelled. A lot of people had other plans, and the Nu Mu member who was hosting it at her home felt bad about asking us to travel so far (over an hour) to her home just to spend it with her and her husband. I'm a little disappointed, but happy to spend the evening curled up on the couch with my dear husband.

Now the good news... I just got off the phone with someone from Nu Mu and was unoffically offered a bid into.....

wait for it.....

ALPHA PHI!!!

She was planning to give me an official bid tonight at the party, but since it was cancelled, she did it verbally over the phone. We'll meet again in January where she'll give me the official invitation to join! I'm so excited I could just SCREAM!!

Anyway - I just wanted to share my good news with everyone.

Last edited by Sistermadly; 12-31-2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS! That is so exciting!
Old 12-31-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

That's wonderful! I'm so excited for you!
Old 12-31-2002, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATS!!! ...a PERFECT start for the new year!!