GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,268
3 members and 2,265 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ {{{Staci}}} welcome to GC. There is a new sorors introduction thread. I know you, but tell the rest of the sorors about yourself.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Magazine by a Soror

First African-American Homes, Decor, Style & Career Magazine, How We Live Magazine, Gets Distribution With Wal-Mart

Dana F. Tucker, Publisher and Editor-In-Chief of How We Live Magazine

Columbia, SC (BlackNews.com) - The mega super store retailer chain, Wal-Mart, will add one more title to its name: distributor for How We Live Magazine: A showcase of African-American Homes, Décor, Style and Careers. The magazine is the first product of Columbia, South Carolina-based Minerva Media & Publishing, Incorporated and is a quarterly publication whose core focus centers on homes, décor, style, and careers. The magazine showcases and celebrates minority and African-American distinction, creativity, history, culture, talent and beauty.

How We Live Magazine acts as a resource - a solution and sounding board to all would-be décor aficionados. The magazine's mission is to enlighten and to inspire our readers about elegant African-American living at home, to bridge the gap of understanding about "how we live" vis-à-vis the quality of life therein, and to give voice to professionals who excel in the areas of design, décor, & style. Additionally, we want to encourage homeowners to invest in their greatest investment - their home. How We Live can be described as a blending of House Beautiful meets Ebony meets In-Style - all wrapped up into one.

The magazine primarily features the homes and lifestyles of African-Americans, but it is intended to affect the lives of readers from all ethnic backgrounds," said Dana Tucker, founder and C.E.O. "The magazine was created to act as a conduit between its subjects and stories about African-American (and other minority-) style, décor and accomplishment, and its readers throughout the nation and world. It highlights professionals who are masters of their craft and targets those who appreciate the tastes of varied cultures."
The homeowners, business professionals, and artists Dana Tucker features will be those she and her staff want to serve as beacons of inspiration - she wants their stories, their homes, their style and their careers to be admired so much, they inspire others to seek to achieve as well. "The youth and children of our community hold the key to our future and success - as a people - for years to come, I want my magazine to encourage and inspire them to consider entrepreneurship and stepping out on faith like I did," Tucker said.

Dana Tucker currently resides in Columbia with her husband, Greg Tucker, and their daughter, Madison Sophia. Also a professionally trained calligrapher and Toastmaster, this multi-tasker is currently completing her MBA Degree at Webster University in Columbia. She recently completed the 18-week Interior Decorating Certificate Program at Columbia's Midlands Technical College; she is active with Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated and Francis Burns UMC.

The premiere and future issues of How We Live Magazine can be purchased on-line via Dana's website at www.howwelive.biz. It is also available at Capital City News Stand and St. Andrews News Stand in Columbia. Soon it will be available at southeast locations (SC, NC, GA, & FL) of national retailers such as Books-A-Million, Wal-Mart, and Bi-Lo grocery stores, to name a few. Currently, it is available at Kingstree's Floral Designs by Curlee, The Williamsburg County Public Library, at several Columbia beauty salons and barbershops (Armani's, Sur-Nuff, & Diane's), restaurants (BJ's), décor shops and numerous other SC retail locations in Columbia, Lexington, Florence, Spartanburg, Anderson and in Charlotte, NC. Soon Atlanta, GA and other SC, NC & FL region wide locations will carry How We Live Magazine. Plans for nationwide distribution will soon ensue. How We Live Magazine has far-reaching implications for wonderful things to come African-Americans and all minorities, and will soon be available at a location near you!

For Media Inquiries please contact Jackie Audson at (678) 933-1597.

Jackie Audson
678-933-1597

http://www.blacknews.com/pr/howwelive101.html

http://www.howwelive.biz/
Old 08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Soror Shirley Frankiln heading to China (AP)

ATLANTA - Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin will lead a delegation of local officials and business leaders to China next month.

Among the items on her agenda will be helping Delta Air Lines get a direct route to the country. Franklin will also try to persuade officials there to open a Chinese consulate in Atlanta.

Her weeklong trip will begin Sept. 5 and will include stops in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and other cities.

Chinese delegations have come to Atlanta recently seeking advice about staging the Olympics and other issues, Franklin said. Atlanta hosted the Olympics in 1996 and Beijing will host it in 2008.

It "only seemed reasonable we would continue the exchange and visit them," Franklin said.
China is seeing its economy grow rapidly and has been a hot topic among state and local economic development officials.

Georgia officials said in June the state will open a trade office in Beijing next year. Craig Lesser, Georgia's commissioner of economic development, plans to leave Friday on his second mission to China. Lesser will also lobby for a Chinese consulate and for Delta's access to China.

And officials hope Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue will fly to China next year.

Atlanta-based Delta has been lobbying Chinese and U.S. officials for a direct flight to China for years. Delta is one of the only major carriers without a direct China route, said Jim Whitehurst, Delta's chief operating officer.

The U.S. and Chinese governments awarded Continental Airlines and American Airlines direct flights in 2005 and 2006. Whitehurst believes Delta has a "very, very good shot" of winning such a route when it's eligible again in 2008.

Such flights are key to opening commerce between Atlanta and foreign markets, said Jorge Fernandez, the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce's vice president of global commerce.

Atlanta can be a difficult sell to overseas companies if they do not have direct access to the city, he said. Delta's direct flights to places such as Denmark and Latin America have already led to new business in Atlanta, Fernandez said.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congressman Elijah E. Cummings
Proudly Representing Maryland's 7th District

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 4, 2006

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Devika Koppikar
(202) 225-4741 or (202) 225-4025
Trudy Perkins
(410) 685-9199 or (202) 225-4741
Mike Christianson
(410) 685-9199 or (202) 225-9876

Congressman Cummings Helps Secure $899,775 Education Grant to Benefit First-Generation College-Bound Students

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington, D.C.— U.S. Congressman Elijah E. Cummings (D-Maryland) helped secure $899,775 in federal funds for the Maryland Educational Opportunity Center (MEOC). Sponsored by the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., the Center helps students to overcome class, social and cultural barriers to higher education.

"One of my priorities is expanding educational opportunities for young people. Every child has tremendous potential. But it is up to the community to nurture this potential," Congressman Cummings said. "With these funds, children who cannot see beyond their current circumstances can create their own paths to a promising future."

The four-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education will allow Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. to provide:

Academic advice and assistance in college and course selection;
Assistance to help students complete college admission, training and financial aid applications;
Guidance regarding secondary school re-entry or entry into a General Education Development (GED) program or alternative education program;
Individual and personal counseling; and
Career workshops and programs for single parents, ex-offenders and other targeted audiences.
MEOC serves 3,020 low-income residents and helps single parents, veterans, ex-offenders, and the physically challenged overcome barriers to attending college.

"The MEOC program demonstrates a broad role of educational services and is responsive to the needs of the underserved. Students can do so much to reach their goals if given the guidance and opportunity," said Ellen Howard Executive Director of MEOC.

The Maryland Educational Opportunity Center is one of the federal TRIO programs funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Since 1979, MEOC has served over 78,000 individuals, including approximately 20,000 who have enrolled in postsecondary institutions and received financial aid. For more information on MEOC, please call 410-728-3400 or www.meoconline.com.

http://www.house.gov/cummings/press/06aug04a.htm
Old 08-28-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FLKING
Clergywomen Find Hard Path to Bigger Pulpit --Soror Alise Barrymore

Soror Alise is in the Denim Blazer

The Rev. Alise D. Barrymore, 37, grew up in the Church of God in Christ, part of the Pentecostal movement. She is co-pastor of the Emmaus Community, a non-denominational, “post-modern African-American church” which she founded with another minister in Chicago Heights, Ill.

Like many women from conservative Christian backgrounds, she had to leave her denomination, hop-scotching from one tradition to another, to enter the pulpit.

The church she grew up in has powerful women as members, she said, but it does not ordain them. Yet she had long wanted to enter pastoral ministry. Women in the black Pentecostal tradition can be itinerant evangelists, but rarely pastors.

“You can’t handle the sacraments, and it would not be rare for you to preach from the floor and not the pulpit, though that has changed a little bit in recent years,” Ms. Barrymore said. “Names and nomenclature in the black church are so important: as a woman, you teach but don’t preach. Yet the teaching sounds just like preaching.”

Ms. Puckett, the United Methodist associate pastor in Atlanta, left pastoral ministry for a time, she said, because she felt that she could not get the kind of work she wanted. She returned because she felt called to preach. But answering that call, she said, is a struggle.

“I’ve felt depressed sometimes, but the support of friends and colleagues got me through,” she said. “I’d ask them, ‘Is what I’m feeling about what is happening real or am I just crazy?’ and they would tell me I’m not crazy.”

To read more on this article http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/26/us...ewanted=1&_r=2

Soror Alise along with Soror Joy Challenger will co-officiate my line sister's wedding this coming Saturday.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ScholarOn Send a message via Yahoo to ScholarOn
I have been reading through this thread as a lurker and a sisterfriend and I am nothing but proud of each and every woman featured. Each time I read a new post I get goose bumps, what an inspiration to all women.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Awwwwww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarOn
I have been reading through this thread as a lurker and a sisterfriend and I am nothing but proud of each and every woman featured. Each time I read a new post I get goose bumps, what an inspiration to all women.
Why thank you- I am reminded often what pulled me towards Delta Sigma Theta and thankful that she chose me!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My bestfriend (even though she went Delta) is one of several featured in the October edition of Ebony magazine. She's a news anchor and is there for her beauty and style as a professional woman. Her name is Melissa Payne. So, a big handclap all around to my girl and your Soror, Melissa!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Way to represent for J.A.S.S.A.C. ship.

Love Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKING View Post
Soror Alise is in the Denim Blazer

The Rev. Alise D. Barrymore, 37, grew up in the Church of God in Christ, part of the Pentecostal movement. She is co-pastor of the Emmaus Community, a non-denominational, “post-modern African-American church” which she founded with another minister in Chicago Heights, Ill.

Like many women from conservative Christian backgrounds, she had to leave her denomination, hop-scotching from one tradition to another, to enter the pulpit.

The church she grew up in has powerful women as members, she said, but it does not ordain them. Yet she had long wanted to enter pastoral ministry. Women in the black Pentecostal tradition can be itinerant evangelists, but rarely pastors.

“You can’t handle the sacraments, and it would not be rare for you to preach from the floor and not the pulpit, though that has changed a little bit in recent years,” Ms. Barrymore said. “Names and nomenclature in the black church are so important: as a woman, you teach but don’t preach. Yet the teaching sounds just like preaching.”

Ms. Puckett, the United Methodist associate pastor in Atlanta, left pastoral ministry for a time, she said, because she felt that she could not get the kind of work she wanted. She returned because she felt called to preach. But answering that call, she said, is a struggle.

“I’ve felt depressed sometimes, but the support of friends and colleagues got me through,” she said. “I’d ask them, ‘Is what I’m feeling about what is happening real or am I just crazy?’ and they would tell me I’m not crazy.”

To read more on this article http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/26/us...ewanted=1&_r=2

Soror Alise along with Soror Joy Challenger will co-officiate my line sister's wedding this coming Saturday.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of Sorors in the News, what about Sorors ON the news

Having a conversation with another Soror about local news anchors, I was pleased, delighted actually, to learn that one of the local anchors here is a Soror. Erica Bryant is her name.

Link to her bio: http://www.wsoctv.com/station/3382075/detail.html

The first article under her bio mentions another Soror Janine Davis who is a local radio personality here in Charlotte.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
^^^^
Quote:
Before coming to Channel 9, Erica was co-anchor of the evening news at WCBD-TV in Charleston, S.C.

She was a member of Charleston Alumnae when she was on News 2.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Soror Named to the Top 25 Influential Black Women in Business

Congratulations Sorors Shirley Ann Jackson, Ph.D named by the Network Journal 2006 Top 25 Influential Black Women in Business

With a string of firsts to her name, Shirley Ann Jackson, Ph.D., likely is used to attention. Cur-rently the 18th president of Rensselaer Polytechnic In-stitute, the oldest private U.S. technological research university, she is the first African-American woman to head a national research university. As president, she led the development of The Rensselaer Plan (the Institute’s strategic blueprint) and is leading the fulfillment of its provisions. She also secured a $360 million unrestricted gift commitment to the university.

In 1995 Jackson was named chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission by then President Clinton, becoming the first woman and the first African-American in that role. She reorganized the agency and revamped its regulatory approach by introducing risk-informed, performance-based regulation.

Jackson formerly was president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and is the current chair of its board of directors. She is a member of the National Academy of Engineering—the first African-American woman to be elected to the group—and is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and of the American Physical Society. She also has membership and advisory roles in other prestigious
national organizations.

Jackson holds a doctorate in theoretical elementary particle physics and an S.B. in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, as well as 34 honorary doctoral degrees from other institutions. She is the first African-American woman to receive a doctorate from MIT in any subject, and is one of the first two African-American women to receive doctorates in physics in the United States.

See the rest of the article here:
http://www.tnj.com/events/2006winners/2006sjackson.php
Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

AWESOME!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divainred View Post
This is one of our very own, although it is not mentioned in this article...

http://www.marylandpublicschools.org...liver_2006_toy
She was on the Today Show yesterday. She done us proud!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FLKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
Having a conversation with another Soror about local news anchors, I was pleased, delighted actually, to learn that one of the local anchors here is a Soror. Erica Bryant is her name.

Link to her bio: http://www.wsoctv.com/station/3382075/detail.html

The first article under her bio mentions another Soror Janine Davis who is a local radio personality here in Charlotte.
Cheryl Burton is a member of Chicago Alumnae. *Cute Story* My Ship and her mom had dinner not to far from the ABC bldg in Chicago about a month ago. After dinner, the decided to walk pass the ABC tower as ABC News Anchors were preparing to broadcast live outside of the studio. Of course there was a huge crowd and everybody was trying to get Cheryl's attention, but she was putting on her mic and was getting primped for the camera's. My Ship (Sydney) told her mom to watch how she got Cheryl's attention. She threw up the pyramid and Cheryl immediately respond with returning it along with a resounding OO-OOOP and the biggest chester cheetah smile you would ever see.*end cute story*
News Anchor and Reporter, ABC 7 NewsEmmy award winning Cheryl Burton, co-anchors two of the #1 rated newscasts in Chicago. Burton co-anchors the ABC 7 News at 5 p.m., alongside Ron Magers, and is a contributing anchor of ABC 7's 10 p.m. newscast. The Chicago native joined ABC 7 as a weekend co-anchor and reporter in November 1992.
Burton has received many honors for her work including several Emmy Awards. She was the first recipient of the 2005 "Sisters in the Spirit" Award, given by Chicago area gospel singers to persons who exemplify a faith-based life. She was honored in 2005 and 2004 with the Thurgood Marshall Award. The Chicago Association of Black Journalist (CABJ) presented Burton with the 2004 Russ Ewing Award for the emotional story of a mother to daughter kidney donation. In 2003, Burton received the same award from CABJ for her coverage of the E2 nightclub tragedy. Her coverage of the Pope's visit to Canada in 2002 was lauded. She was recognized with a 1998 Kizzy Image and Achievement Award, which honors black women who have excelled in their professions. In1997, Burton won the Phenomenal Woman Award from the expo for Today's Black Woman. Her coverage of the Million Man March earned another CABJ award in 1995.
Before joining ABC 7 Chicago, Burton was a weeknight anchor for the 6 p.m. news at KWCH-TV in Wichita, Kan. While there, she was recognized for her role in a campaign that was instrumental in reducing the number of low birth weight babies and infant deaths. She also hosted the talk show "Viewpoint" (1990-92).
In 1990, Burton served as a general assignment reporter for WMBD-TV in Peoria, Ill. She began her broadcasting career at Chicago's WGN-TV as co-anchor of the nationally syndicated weekly series "MBR: The Minority Business Report" (1989).
Burton is very active in the Chicago community and gives much of her time to non-profit groups and charities. She is a volunteer for the Boys and Girls Club of America and serves as a motivational speaker for the Chicago Public Schools. She serves on the boards of the Life with Lupus Guild, the Multicultural Dance Center and City Year. She also participates in the Rush-Presbyteriain/St. Luke's fashion show.
In addition, Burton is a member of the Society of Professional Journalists, the Association of Black Journalists and the National Association of Black Journalists.
Burton graduated from the University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana with a B.S. degree in Psychology and Biology. While there she was a member of the Marching Illini, one of the nation's premiere college marching bands and had the opportunity to march in the Rose Bowl and the Liberty Bowl. She lives in Chicago.