GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,441
0 members and 2,441 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxSox View Post
Thank you for all the advice

I suppose I did forget to mention that I have tried basically everything possible short of Accutane (which I can't take because I've been depressed before) and no luck. Dermatologists have basically told me that it's genetic and not a lot is going to work. I've done Proactiv for years, Murad, every other face wash product on the market, a variety of antibiotics, Retin-A...I'm unfortunately going to have to just wait it out, it seems like. I get very few scars, so that's good.

And, I personally am not very self-conscious about it, I don't let it bother me and I don't think it makes me an ugly person but I know that some people don't agree and therefore I thought it might affect recruitment. I'm going to go through recruitment though, and see what happens
Sounds like you've done all you can do. At this point, just go in with a confident smile on your face. Sorority women aren't perfect, and we don't expect other women to be perfect. If you get released from a chapter just because you have acne, those are not the type of women that you need around you or the kind of women who will be true sisters! Good luck!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2010, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
have you tried birth control pills? i have known of several girls who felt that they had severe acne, had tried a myriad of products and prescriptions to no avail, and then tried birth control pills at the suggestion of their doctor and had dramatic results.
Good point. My hormones were so out of wack during my teenage years that I was put on the pill and one bonus was the clear skin that came out of it. Even now if I go off of it I break out like crazy.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM

All I can say is that I went to dermatologists and had "some" success, but I only really found success with acne when I found myself this Russian esthetician who is AMAZING and she does extractions, etc.

It's hard to say about bids, but if some people are "repulsed" by acne, then it could affect your chances. I feel that it's best not to sugar coat it.

I'm not sure if you've heard of Dermablend (and you probably would not want to wear it every day), but it gives phenomenal coverage to acne, port wine stains (i.e. what Gorbachev had) and can even cover tattoos (like the website shows). I have some scars on my legs and it does a great job of coverage.
http://www.dermablend.com/
Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you considered going in wearing a full-body parka and telling all of the girls that you were raised by Eskimos?

It's also a great conversation starter.

You could also try going through recruitment in a wheel-chair. No one will notice the acne, they will just call you "Wheel-Chair Girl".

Then on Pref night you can jump up from the wheel-chair, and you can tell them that the power of love that emitted from their sisterhood granted you the ability to walk again. You would be GUARANTEED a bid at that point.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
Have you considered going in wearing a full-body parka and telling all of the girls that you were raised by Eskimos?

You could also try going through recruitment in a wheel-chair. No one will notice the acne, they will just call you "Wheel-Chair Girl".

Then on Pref night you can jump up from the wheel-chair, and you can tell them that the power of love that emitted from their sisterhood granted you the ability to walk again. You would be GUARANTEED a bid at that point.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
I'm not sure if you've heard of Dermablend (and you probably would not want to wear it every day), but it gives phenomenal coverage to acne, port wine stains (i.e. what Gorbachev had) and can even cover tattoos (like the website shows). I have some scars on my legs and it does a great job of coverage.
LOVE this stuff. The day before my senior prom, I got this horrible v-neck sunburn and, of course, had a strapless dress. It was uncomfortable, but hey, it covered the burn perfectly!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post

LMAO!

Love....power.... it's the greatest power of them all...hey hey hey!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
All I can say is that I went to dermatologists and had "some" success, but I only really found success with acne when I found myself this Russian esthetician who is AMAZING and she does extractions, etc.

It's hard to say about bids, but if some people are "repulsed" by acne, then it could affect your chances. I feel that it's best not to sugar coat it.

I didn't know about this stuff...I have scars on my legs, too and it would be nice to be able to help make them more subtle for big events. Thanks for posting it!

Groucho Marx
Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
LMAO!

Love....power.... it's the greatest power of them all...hey hey hey!
My favorite Luther song.

When we walk down the street
We don't care who we see or who we meet
Don't need to run don't need to hide
'cause we've got somethin' burnin inside
Yeaaaah...we got looooooooove....
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey!

I'm a recent UW-Madison grad and I agree with what is said here. Know how to minimize your acne, but do not let it affect your personality. Be comfortable with yourself. Don't keep checking your appearance every ten seconds. Instead, just relax and be happy! Girls with acne have gotten bids before, but girls who seem miserable will have a much harder time.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Go Big Red!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I didn't know about this stuff...I have scars on my legs, too and it would be nice to be able to help make them more subtle for big events. Thanks for posting it!
Be sure you also get the setting powder to put on top of it. The two need to work in tandem.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Be sure you also get the setting powder to put on top of it. The two need to work in tandem.
Thanks...I'm hoping to try it soon. 99% of the time it's not worth the effort to cover them but it would be nice to have the option and I've never found anything that worked.

Groucho Marx