GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,275
0 members and 2,275 guests
No Members online

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys are being too nice. I'm just gonna say it, it looks fucking trashy.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
OMG...I'm my mom! All I could think on the second picture was that the dress on the young lady to the far right was altogether too short.
It's not just you being a mom, I think it's too short and I'm only 20 (and no where near ready to start having kids).

Though to her defense, it is really hard to find dresses that are appropriate lengths in west Michigan. Every formal dress I look at always seems so short! I always try really hard to find one that at least comes down to 2 inches above my knee, but they always end-up being a bit shorter (though I never would go with that short of a dress).
Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci11 View Post
It's not just you being a mom, I think it's too short and I'm only 20 (and no where near ready to start having kids).

Though to her defense, it is really hard to find dresses that are appropriate lengths in west Michigan. Every formal dress I look at always seems so short! I always try really hard to find one that at least comes down to 2 inches above my knee, but they always end-up being a bit shorter (though I never would go with that short of a dress).
I think this is an example of women needing to stop shopping in the Juniors department and buying clothes that come in even numbered, not odd sizes. I rarely wore Juniors clothes in high school because they never fit very well once i was in puberty, and I always found the cuts and materials on the cheap side. I always cringe when I see mothers and daughters shopping for the same apparel in the Juniors department, UGH.

Also the demise of home ec. and sewing knowledge doesn't help either, I am so glad I have my sewing badge from Girl Scouts because it I have to bring up every dress an inch to compensate for my short torso, and then drop the hem if it is too short because of my legs.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen dresses far shorter. (Yes, I'm a mom..). In my day (cue music) they were called micro minis...two or three inches below getting arrested. At least now the girls wear spandex under the dresses to avoid flashing...we didn't. That length dress is quite common here. And it looks fine if the girl has spandex and great legs. If not....please lengthen the dress.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I thought it was just me.
Nope, me too. Then again, I also thought the stunning young lady in the red dress next to her was showing a bit more cleavage than appropriate for Pref round. Seriously, these girls are beautiful and look so happy, but please, cover up a bit for Pref!

I'm an old fogey, yep, that's me!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 PM
ClemsonMom

When my daughter was in high school (she graduated in 2009) she and I would go together to shop for her prom dresses. She and I were just appalled at the down right sleazy dresses were that the other high school girls were trying on and their mothers were like "oh I like that one."
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Western Michigan University

Delta Zeta

Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Omega

Old 12-04-2009, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I think this is an example of women needing to stop shopping in the Juniors department and buying clothes that come in even numbered, not odd sizes. I rarely wore Juniors clothes in high school because they never fit very well once i was in puberty, and I always found the cuts and materials on the cheap side. I always cringe when I see mothers and daughters shopping for the same apparel in the Juniors department, UGH.

Also the demise of home ec. and sewing knowledge doesn't help either, I am so glad I have my sewing badge from Girl Scouts because it I have to bring up every dress an inch to compensate for my short torso, and then drop the hem if it is too short because of my legs.
Thank you!

The Juniors department is evil. When I was younger, I would look in that section, but only for cute t-shirts and MAYBE some jeans. Everything else wasn't appealing at all. And I'm sorry, but if you're an adult... walk away. Better yet, run!

And you don't even need to know how to sew... just know a place you can take a dress to be lengthened or shortened if it calls for that. It's really not that difficult to find things that fit correctly (or to make them fit correctly!) if you try.

@~/~~~~
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
That length dress is quite common here. And it looks fine if the girl has spandex and great legs. If not....please lengthen the dress.
Agreed!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu_aoii View Post

Alpha Chi Omega

Ummm.... Are those shoes... white?

I don't mean to sound old or catty, but I'm really surprised that outfit got past their rush adviser.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post

I don't mean to sound old or catty, but I'm really surprised that outfit got past their rush adviser.
What's wrong with their outfit?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post

I'm a recruitment advisor and I think they look fine (depending on the campus, naturally). Not necessarily what I would pick, but I also don't think it's any advisor's role to be mandating recruitment outfits.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

But . . . after LABOR DAY??? lol
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The Labor Day thing...not so much if you live in warmer climates. BUT what those shoes do is cut the flow of the leg. Ergo the legs look stubby, even on those gorgeous girls. The best look is a dark shoe that will elongate the legs.