GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,225
1 members and 2,224 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
Hi, I'm kchaptergphib, and I am a rush thread addict. I am actually addicted to all things recruitment. This is my second fall as an alumna, and one of the highlights of my day is reading these rush threads and rushing vicariously through all those PNM's! It is also so interesting to me to see how recruitment goes at so many other schools, and what quota is like, etc...
I am certainly helping out with recruitment at the University of Wisconsin in about 2 weeks, and may help out with Recruitment School (Work Week) at my initiating chapter before labor day. I might get to experience TWO formal recruitments this year! Yea!

TEII
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BellaBerlee
Is it an addiction if I keep refreshing the page every 5-10 minutes to see if anything new is posted on rush threads? I have to get my "food" in now, since I'll be stuck in a house for ten hours today!!

"In a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my fraternity and her highest teachings..."
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Must be. I can't wait to hear from my own daughter about how it is going for her being a rusher instead of the rushee. Although she is looking more forward to tomorrow, when they are allowed out .... of girl jail .... for a bit.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard an interesting item today from recruitment at the University of Alabama. Rumor: Phi Mu will not ask girls back if they touched the rail while descending the spiral staircase at the Phi Mu house. Anyone heard similar stories? Sounds pretty superstitious to me, but I'm only a Dad. Crazy or what?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad
I heard an interesting item today from recruitment at the University of Alabama. Rumor: Phi Mu will not ask girls back if they touched the rail while descending the spiral staircase at the Phi Mu house. Anyone heard similar stories? Sounds pretty superstitious to me, but I'm only a Dad. Crazy or what?

Thats crazy, regardless of whether its true or not. Rest easy BamaDad, its almost assuredly just a rumor.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I note that you said the spirl staircase story is "almost" assuredly a rumor. I've heard a million superstition tales in my life, but I must say that is a good one. I understand here are other peculiar tales: a pnm cannot drink or eat any offering of food or beverage while visiting the house, no gum, etc.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad
I note that you said the spirl staircase story is "almost" assuredly a rumor. I've heard a million superstition tales in my life, but I must say that is a good one. I understand here are other peculiar tales: a pnm cannot drink or eat any offering of food or beverage while visiting the house, no gum, etc.

I have to include the word "almost". I don't go to school there & I'm not a member of that chapter/sorority. So no, I can't say for sure, but these kinds of rumors float around every recruitment no matter where you go.

And why would a sorority want to have that kind of rumor anyway? If you don't touch the banister you must make an AWESOME member? Yeah-it doesn't work that way.

As for food/beverages that are provided within the house-they're there for the PNM's to enjoy! Especially water during recruitment in the Fall. It most cases its HOT out there. If a PNM wants to drink water I would hope she would take it when offered!

And the no gum thing? I know it probably isn't a "rule" that they can't have gum-but its just common courtesy not to chomp on some gum while trying to talk with someone. If a greek office has an actual rule about it its only to help the PNM's be polite.

Last edited by _Lisa_; 08-16-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thready

Bamadad and crzychx - this post inspired my thread. Not for informational puposes of course but for entertainment. Some of the rumors I heard going through rush were just ridiculous. I think its funny that people can believe these are true and even worse that they would want to be part of an organization who cut girls for something as ridiculous as eating or touching a banister! I hope all those nervous PNMs out there realize that these rumors are just that rumors. The best way to get a bid to a house is to be yourself!

- KD lady
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe I'm following rush so closely. As the father of two incredible daughters (if I do say so myself), I've always been very active in both their lives as Daddy, coach, tutor, etc. My oldest at Bama talked about joining a sorority as a dream many years ago and now she has the opportunity to make it come true....... At a particular house today, she became worried when no one approached upon entering the house. Suddenly, one sister called he out by name and began to escot her through the house. Witthin seconds, my daughter discovered that this particular sister graduated from a Viginia high school within a mile of our house and, in fact. lives very close to ou neighborhood. I know we had at least one recommendation sent to this house, so do you think this was coincidence or is it common for girls to match up when they have such common backgrounds?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm Rho4Life, and i am a rush thread addict........I have taken to keeping my office door closed while I review the threads each day so I won't be bothered by the tedium that is my "day job"........BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely not a coincidence...for most parties, particurlarly in later rounds, active members are assigned particular rushees. She is being "rushed hard".
Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
bumping this up ... 'cause now not only are we addicted to rush threads ... but are also addicted to the retro rush threads!!

Keep 'em comming ..... PLEASE!!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still blutang, and i'm a retro rush addict. i guess in the fall i will be a rush thread addict.
I went to an HBCU so it's fun learning about how different groups choose their members.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

All right, I'm ready to read some new rush threads.

Would somebody please write up a retro one, or something? Anyone? I like the real ones, but sockpuppets and posers can be fun too.

My name is ZTAfromUK, and I am a rush thread lurking addict.