GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,141
2 members and 2,139 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Advice for a French Girl!

Hi Everybody!!
First, Escuse my bad english because I'm french, and I'm not really gifted in english...
I'm 16 years old, and i would like study in a American University later, especially because there is a greek system. In France, it doesn't exist.
Can you give me advice for enter in a sorority?
Have got any chance to enter in ?
Thanks for your answers
xxx
Marie

Last edited by MaryZBZ; 08-01-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course you have a chance but focus first of your academics. Greek life can greatly enhance your college experience but should probably not be your top priority when selecting a school. Find what colleges/universities have the academic program you are interested in and then make an informed decision based on location, finances, Greek life, etc.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Unregistered-

Go to school, get good grades, and get into college first.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

There are over 600 schools with NPC sororities, so you'll have a lot of schools to choose from, if that is the kind you're interested in. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I want to go to a school with sororities," but don't choose a school because you want to be in a certain chapter at that school. Find schools that fit based on location, academics, size, campus climate, and then consider the Greek scene as part of that.

I'm sure women in many chapters at many schools would see an international student as an asset to their chapters, assuming you are a good fit personality-wise and have good grades and activities. (At least I would be excited at the prospect of an international student rushing!)

I talked to some of my sisters from the George Washington University chapter of Sigma Kappa, and they said that there are several international students who join sororities there.

Bonne chance!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

To the French Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Go to school, get good grades, and get into college first.
I agree that grades should be a priority. Then you should research various colleges and universities on the Internet and send for information from those which offer classes which interest you.

Most college and university websites contain information about Greek life on campus. Once you have selected a specific school, you can access information on specific sororities on that campus on their individual websites. You will learn about their grade requirements, their history, their mission, etc.

Once you have narrowed your search and selected a specific college or university, send for your application and also send for sorority applications from the Greek life office or whatever the school recommends.

Many sororities require recommendations from alumna. Look up National Panhellenic Conference on the Internet to see if you can locate a local Panhellenic Association in the nearest city or town to your college or university. If there is one, contact them and ask how to obtain recommendations for the individual sororities on your campus (try to have two recs for each sorority). They will supply you with names and addresses of local alums (graduated members of sororities) who are willing to write letters on your behalf. Be sure to do this well in advance of recruitment so that the letters arrive at the individual sororities just before recruitment begins. Also, remember to write thank you notes to any alums who send recommendations on your behalf.

If there is no Panhellenic Association near your school, you can contact the Alumnae Association of each individual sorority on your selected campus to ask if the can assist you in obtaining recs. This information should be on each sorority's website. The National Pan-Hellenic Association is for service and special interest sororities and is a good source of information on other sororities which are not part of the NPC.

Best of luck to you in your college years. We look forward to hearing your recruitment story on GC after you pledge.

Sincerely,
Paula M.
Sigma Delta Tau
ΣΔT
Patriae Multi Spes Una One Hope of Many People
Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 PM

Okay first listen to the other peoples advice on here . And while I would hate to discourage you joining a sorority because their a wonderful experience I did notice your user name. If your user name comes from the tv show greek than I need to tell you that your experience in a sorority would be different from the tv show. This show portrays the stereotype of what Americans think greek life is like, not what it is really like. This being said I would encourage to still look into joining a sorority and look through the messages on this website to see what greek life is really like.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulam View Post
Many sororities require recommendations from alumnae. Look up National Panhellenic Conference on the Internet to see if you can locate a local Panhellenic Association in the nearest city or town to your college or university.

If there is no Panhellenic Association near your school, you can contact the Alumnae Association of each individual sorority on your selected campus to ask if the can assist you in obtaining recs.
My sorority has a European alumnae chapter, and I would assume others do too, so if you do get recs, that might be a better place to start.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM

Isn't college free in France? Do you/your family have a spare $100k for you to go to a cheap state college for four years as an international student?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Isn't college free in France? Do you/your family have a spare $100k for you to go to a cheap state college for four years as an international student?
Education is not free in France. Cheaper than US state schools, but not free. This is the quickest reference I could find, I can find others if needed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati...gher_Education

It should be noted that there are private universities in France as well.

Obviously, for French public universities, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper to go to school in France than to the US.

My chapter had members from Argentina, Japan, South Korea, the UK... I knew many other international students who joined other NPCs at my school. It's very common in places where the international student population is high and Greek life is popular.

In terms of your grades, work hard - you'll have to do well on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at the very least.

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 07-31-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

A sisterwood sounds hot.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
A sisterwood sounds hot.
HAHAHAHA
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Escuse me if "sisterwood" is not the correct word.
Thanks for your answers!!
In france colleges are not free, but in USA too, no?
Prettyviolet, thanks you for your "bonne chance", this really pleased me, because it's really difficult for me to not speak french at all to explain my problem.
Merci Beaucoup à tous !!

Last edited by MaryZBZ; 08-01-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

You can get college paid for in the states, yeah.

But it's not free unless your grades are exceptional.

Sisterhood, would be the word you're looking for.

Good luck.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah but from I saw, college is alot cheaper in France then over here.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryZBZ View Post
Escuse me if "sisterwood" is not the correct word.
Thanks for your answers!!
In france colleges are not free, but in USA too, no?
Prettyviolet, thanks you for your "bonne chance", this really pleased me, because it's really difficult for me to not speak french at all to explain my problem.
Merci Beaucoup à tous !!
I read and write French if you want to PM me or address me in French.

Do you have to sit for and pass le baccalauréat if you want to go to school in the United States or elsewhere abroad?