GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,193
1 members and 2,192 guests
Titchou

Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Recommendation Questions

I have looked back through old threads and cannot seem to "get" the idea of recommendations. I will be attending Indiana University next fall, and have heard that recs are very important to the extremely competitive recruitment there.

1) How do I go about getting recs for myself? I know this may seem basic, but where do I even start? My mother was not involved in Greek life so I really have no one to ask.

2) Do I need a rec for each sorority? There are about 20 different sororities at IU. Does this mean that I need 20 different recs from 20 different members of each GLO?

Thank you for any answers!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse23 View Post
I have looked back through old threads and cannot seem to "get" the idea of recommendations. I will be attending Indiana University next fall, and have heard that recs are very important to the extremely competitive recruitment there.

1) How do I go about getting recs for myself? I know this may seem basic, but where do I even start? My mother was not involved in Greek life so I really have no one to ask.

2) Do I need a rec for each sorority? There are about 20 different sororities at IU. Does this mean that I need 20 different recs from 20 different members of each GLO?

Look at the bottom of the page, or use the SEARCH function. These are very basic questions. Also refer to your school's Greek office or website for specific info regarding your school/

Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:

And what happened to rushing at Michigan State in Fall 2008?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM

You need at least one rec from a member of each GLO for each GLO.

Ask parents' friends, teachers, relatives for recs. If they aren't greek they may know someone who is. If you still come up empty, go here www.npcwomen.org and find the alumnae Panhel in your area and they can help you out.

(I guess I'm feeling maternal this morning.)
Old 01-16-2010, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post

And what happened to rushing at Michigan State in Fall 2008?
I decided to go to IU instead of MSU? I'm not really sure why changing my choice of college is a big deal to you.

Thank you 33girl for actually helpful information. I have used the search functions many times before but it's difficult to find a straight forward answer to some of these "basic" questions without searching the rude responses like the one above.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I decided to go to IU instead of MSU? I'm not really sure why changing my choice of college is a big deal to you.

Thank you 33girl for actually helpful information. I have used the search functions many times before but it's difficult to find a straight forward answer to some of these "basic" questions without searching the rude responses like the one above.
You think that was rude? You may be too thin skinned for a competitive rush, hon. There are 1,698,412 threads here discussing recommendations. I would guess someone in college would know how to use a search engine.

And the reason I asked about your Michigan plans is that they were for Fall 2008. Which means you will be far from an 18 year old freshman going through recruitment at Indiana. That poses a whole different set of issues way beyond getting recs.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

1) As 33girl said above, contact the panhellenic alumnae group near your hometown. It's also a good idea to ask family members (aunts, etc), teachers, church/synagogue members, neighbors, and other women in the community if they were members of a GLO in college. Recs from people that actually know you may potentially be stronger.

2) You need one rec for each sorority. So one alumna from ADPi would write your letter for that house, for example.

This is just the basic info, definitely use the search
Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Contact your local Alumnae Panhellenic chapter to get connected with women who are alumnae of the NPC sororites. Also as has been said before, check with family member and friends for recommendations.

2. Yes, you need at least one recommendation for each sorority.