GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,508
1 members and 1,507 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

NPC growth statistics for decade

With the end of the first decade of the 21st century I thought it might be interesting to assess the growth patterns of the 26 NPC sororities. I would like to do it for fraternities, NPHC & other groups too, but their statistics are greatly lacking.
Here are the year-by-year figures:

2000 28 chapters chartered & opening of 1 new institution to NPC
2001 30 " " " 2 "
2002 28 " " " 3 "
2003 30 " " " 7 "
2004 26 " " " 7 "
2005 36 " " " 3 "
2006 23 " " " 1 "
2007 40 " " " 3 "
2008 36 " " " 1 "
2009 37 " " " 4 "

For the decade a total of 314 NPC sorority chapters were chartered or re-chartered. Surprisingly, offsetting this 270 NPC chapters closed, making a net gain of only 44 more chapters than exactly a decade earlier. If you deduct the new institutions, there are fewer chapters at existing institutions than a decade ago. I could not do the closings year-by-year because the exact dates of about one-fourth were not available.

On a very positive side, 32 new institutions welcomed NPC groups to their campus. Only one school (Alfred) banned Greek groups during the decade. John Carroll University welcoming NPC Greeks and Lake Forest College re-welcoming them were probably the greatest coups. Existing systems at high quality schools that had impressive growth were Central Florida, DePaul, George Washington, Grand Valley, Loyola Marymount & North Carolina State.

In another post I am going to list the ten-year figures for each NPC sorority. It may surprise you when you see which groups grew the most, or shrunk in size, during the decade. For the record, I am using the date a chapter was chartered, not colonized.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

What individual campuses added the most new NPC chapters over the decade?

I was just reading an article the other day about community colleges in California possibly considering the ability to offer bachelor's degrees in limited areas of high demand (probably nursing and allied health professions would be at the top of priority list!) in part because the UC and CSU schools are jam packed. Wow can you imagine the extension opportunities out there if only 10-15 of the largest Calif community colleges gained 4-year college status???

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Maybe UCF had the most?
________
Ocean View Condominium

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
The "most" is going to be a school like John Carroll who added 8 (or so) at once most likely (in same year, locals went NPC).
Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Two fellow Greek chatters have provided information that slightly revise the above figures. The specifics are on the site listing each individual sorority. Two charterings were missed and 9 closings that were listed had actually closed prior to the year 2000. The revised figure should read 316 NPC sororities chartered or re-chartered, 261 closed, making a net gain of 55 (roughly 2 per sorority).
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
In another post I am going to list the ten-year figures for each NPC sorority. It may surprise you when you see which groups grew the most, or shrunk in size, during the decade. For the record, I am using the date a chapter was chartered, not colonized.

What happened to that post? I saw it a day or two ago, and when I came back to look at it this morning, it was gone! Did the mods decide it wasn't politically correct?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL66 View Post
What happened to that post? I saw it a day or two ago, and when I came back to look at it this morning, it was gone! Did the mods decide it wasn't politically correct?
It was riddled with inaccuracies. The OP was informed of the inaccuracies (by NPC groups' national officers) and still did not correct the post.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I dislike this thread as much as the deleted one. Even if the numbers had been accurate, these stats are deceptive. The net number of chapter expansions isn't an accurate depiction of growth. Is it really "growth" when a GLO adds a new colony, yet its established chapters have lost more members than the new one gained? Or the flip side, is it really membership "loss" if one chapter is closed, yet other chapters have gained in numbers?

Last edited by Zillini; 01-16-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
Existing systems at high quality schools
I just saw this. Excuse me but in the words of Farrah from Rock of Love, What The French? Not saying these aren't quality schools, but it's an intimation that there are schools out there with NPCs that are on a "lower tier."

This setup has become tiresome.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Who (or what kind of group) wouldn't prefer to be at a "high quality school?"
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
To say that chapters were opened at "high quality schools" implies that there are "low quality schools". Again, how is a high quality school defined? take two schools near me- IU and Purdue. If I wanted to be an engineer- of course I would chose Purdue. But If I want to go into, say, business, IU might be a better choice. So which one is high quality? Depends on what I want to study.

So just about EVERY univiersity in the nation could be considered "high quality" at something- high quality for research, high quality for non-traditional students, high quality for chimps that want to learn sign language, etc.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
a description like "high quality" is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing to me.

In order to sustain and grow over time, an organization that is forward thinking must consider extension to campuses that show good potential for growth, and more importantly, offer the org the ability to offer membership opportunities to PNMs who have both interest and potential for becoming loyal lifetime members.

You never know what a school could become in its future...one highly respected university near me was once the southern branch campus of a "normal" school. Some 30 years later it became the southern branch of another university. Over time it has become one of the most respected and desirable universities in the world. What a loss it would have been if NPCs had written it off in its early years because it wasn't as prestigious then as it is now!

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
So just about EVERY univiersity in the nation could be considered "high quality" at something- high quality for research, high quality for non-traditional students, high quality for chimps that want to learn sign language, etc.
There are high quality beauty schools too, but it doesn't mean it would be a good fit for NPC.

There are plenty of subjective and objective ways to determine quality schools. Is Baron's Guide still around?

In your example, I would certainly agree that both Purdue and IU are outstanding...as is Rose-Hulman...even though those 3 campuses are different.